Meth injection on a N/A

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Ok so we all got a laugh out of the guy that put a I/C on his N/A. So do you think a N/A would benefit from a meth injection kit? We all know our cars run better with a cool or cold air charge and this would not restrict the air flow like a I/C would on a N/A. What do you guys /girls think. And for the record, my car started life as a N/A it is now turbo so it’s not something I am contemplating just a new discussion.

Todd

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
If you combined methanol injection with some alterations to your timing, you could pick up some power. Methanol injection alone won't do much aside from steam cleaning the combustion chambers. If you ran a piggyback that could alter the timing curves of the motor at the same time it triggered the injection circuit, you'd be in pretty good shape.

I've thought of doing this before as well, but my application was meant more for increasing efficiency by programming for "lean burn" and accounting for the resulting detonation and exhaust temps by injection methanol. Regardless, for it to work, you need to have control of your fuel and ignition maps.

SG in NE

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Meth lowers a/f ratios, allow boosted cars to increase boost beyond what they could do w/o meth, avoiding detonation (to a point). You can get the same effect by advancing timeing (as said above), but you won't get nearly the return for your investment w/o a supercharger/turbocharger...

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
88, Yes, there is pitcure around that some one did this.

spencyg, yes I would agree it would be more trouble than its worth to pull off but we just throwing it out there incase some one was thinking about it but was scared to ask the question...lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1652722 said:
...or if the motor is build for high compression.

I miss leaded gas, you? :biglaugh:

That said, water meth is on my list of plans for this upcoming year...

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I think it would be a decent supporting mod for a (very) high compression build, but why not just convert to e85? All the benefits, less equipment and weight; even the fuel weighs less than normal gasoline. Hell, even add meth to that later on (could you?), or go e98 or even an all-out ethanol build and start racing on moonshine.

I've never run methanol injection or seen a build running it, to be quite honest. But the e85 map on the stock ecu in my truck (flexfuel ftw) is pretty baller. Bit more punch at high rpms, where cylinder pressure is building. I can only imagine what it would do with an e85-specific tune...I hear ignition timing can be advanced pretty damn far on this stuff.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
E85 is some magical stuff, considering it's cream corn that you put in your tank... That said, some of us don't have access to it yet. I find it pretty funny that every pump in Wyoming has diesel, but not ONE (that I'm aware of anyway) has E85, when we're next door to NEBRASKA. :dunno:

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
for shits n giggles my instructor put a IC on a 98 civic gained about 10 hp on the dyno. i have heard of methanol injection being installed on high comp v8's.