Meth injection, nozzle on intake manifold or intercooler piping?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I have upgraded my meth setup from a single M14 to three M5's. I think the intercooler piping is the best place but hear this out.

Rodney at Alcohol Injection Systems dot com recommended I mount these on the intake manifold. Almost right above the intake ports. This should be best for max cooling; however, do you think I will have problems with this? I haven't heard anyone doing this with a JZ with a FFIM. I could run into flow problems because I am not familiar with how air flows in the FFIM. He recommended 1 inch before runners 1+2, half an inch or so in front of the center line of 3+4, and almost above 5+6. Feels like a shot in the dark to me. Not sure how air traveling through the spray at 8,000 rpm through a ported head with high lift cams will change the flow of meth and air at these speeds change from 18PSI to 24PSI?

Tell me if I need to abandon this idea, and I'll drop it. Not sure if AIS knows 100% about this application or not.

I imagine the spray patterns folding slightly, angling more with higher flow leaving me with another cylinder lean.

I originally went from the M15 mounted about four inches from the TB, and I don't have even flow. Cylinder 6 is running leaner than the rest. I wanted to do direct port, but almost every shop I talked to, and every comment about meth on Supras says intercooler piping. All of my tuning will be done on the same 50/50 mix of boost juice.

Here is a picture of the new setup. I am just VERY apprehensive about the recommendation and wanted some more opinions.

p1511764_1.jpg

This was also posted on SF. I wouldn't mind trying something different as long as I know it will work. I'm thinking the flow of air would distort the flow of meth spraying inside the intake manifold, yet, the spray should still go from the top of the manifold and hit the runners through the flow of air right?

Many of the JZ motors I have heard of blowing up has been the rear cylinders, mainly number six. I know the manifolds flow great, but something's causing six to go lean in my application too, and I am looking for something that will fix that issue permanently. I want 650rwhp from this 74mm on 9.2:1 compression with 93 octane. I do not want to have to worry about issues floating around in my head about a cylinder running lean because of not enough spray during my WOT pulls.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Looks like a good setup. I have my M14 nozzle mounted about 18" from the TB and from what I can notice no cylinder runs lean. I check my plugs often and it they are seem to be in par with one another.

Either way that looks like an awesome setup.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama

Everybody says piping. When I was on 16PSI I was making over 505rwhp. I just need to get this meth sorted out and go higher. I cannot wait for this to happen.....................

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
If i ever install meth i would also like to go direct injection, looks like your off to a good strart.
I'll be watching.
Ps. racing dyno, i think you posted in the wroung section.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Put it right at the IC outlet or direct port. If you go direct port you will have to do a distribution block. Also even with that setup you picked I would personally run a distribution block because you are going to have pressure drop over that distance so each nozzle is not going to spray the same. If you have a good flowing manifold(even distribution) it means you will be carrying the same amount of meth to each cylinder as long as it is atomizing correctly. So as I said put it right after the intercooler and at an angle that slightly opposes flow to help with the atomization. There is no doubt that with it mounted 4" from the TB you would have issues as the meth will not be atomized and drop out of the air stream early in the manifold.

Also if you decide to use the M15 down on the IC pipe right after the IC make sure you have a solenoid very close to the nozzle to stop siphoning off the tank. Also the closer you put it to the nozzle the less drip you will get afterwards. I have an M10 mounted about 14" away from TB and I don't show any lean cylinders on plugs or inside the intake manifold. Although I do plan to move it even further(exit of the IC) here in the near future.

HTH,
Seth

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Okay Seth,

I think I want to put these on the intercooler pipe now, but do I still need a distro block?

I want to use all three of the nozzles (M5's).

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
The further the nozzle is from the valve the more cooling it will be able to do. If your using it for cooling aswell as Octane i would run all three after the intercooler. If you were going for just the octane the direct port would be better.

If your mounting in the intercooler pipe i wouldn't see a distribution block being necessary as all of the meth will be going to the same spot regardless witch nozzle is comes from.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
I would say no, it is not a bad idea to have one but the whole point of putting it way down on the IC pipe is that it will be fully atomized by the time it gets into the intake. Also if you are going to use all 3 make sure they do not all aim at each other or you will get a very dense stream when the sprays meet that will be very hard to atomize. So stagger them a bit as well maybe to 2 aiming against flow and then 1 straight in a few inches further along the IC pipe. Honestly with the new nozzle technology people are running single M15's or two M14's not problem. But as long as you don't get the sprays all coming together you should have good atomization.

HTH,
Seth

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
They were mounted five inches apart from one another, angled at 0, 45, and 90 degree intervals, right off the intercooler outlet. I am very satisfied. Thank you for all of the help.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I can see how it would be cooler spraying further away, but isn't most of the cooling done as the piston compresses the air mixture anyways? Isn't that when the huge heat is developed, super compressing the already 22-25psi air?