metal question

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
Hi,

Im pretty sure our valve covers and 3000pipe are aluminum. I just wanna make sure..are they ???

Thhanks, gonna be powdercoating them toromorw thats why.

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
yes they are, but "to be sure" see if a maganet will stick to them. If no stick, it's not steel. or you could just look for rust, b/c aluminum won't rust.

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
not to hijack the thread (but his question is answered) "rust" is iron oxide, which coincidently, only occurs in iron and it's alloys. Correct me if I'm wrong. No offense intended, by the way.

John Lunsford

Don't Bother Me
Mar 30, 2005
Asheville, NC
www.JBLMk3.com
Xtreme said:
not to hijack the thread (but his question is answered)

Well, the covers are either aluminum or magnesium. Probably aluminum but I'm not sure.

Xtreme said:
"rust" is iron oxide, which coincidently, only occurs in iron and it's alloys. Correct me if I'm wrong. No offense intended, by the way.

Rust is simply the result of a metal (including aluminum) reacting with oxygen.
Metallic aluminum is very reactive with atmospheric oxygen and will rust away quickly unless it is protected. As aluminum starts to "rust", aluminum oxide is formed. The aluminum oxide crystallizes to form a thin invisible layer. This layer protects the metal from further oxidation, making it seem like it doesn't rust but if you prevent new layers of aluminum oxide from forming with a substance such as mercury, it will continue to rust very quickly and will soon be a pile of dust!
It's funny but if you were going to anodize them, you would just be coloring their rusted surface!

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Technically only metals with iron "rusts". You know, the red stuff.
Aluminum alloy won't "rust". It "corrodes". Which is a similar thing to "rust" as John points out.
Its all in the terms you use.

John Lunsford

Don't Bother Me
Mar 30, 2005
Asheville, NC
www.JBLMk3.com
bluemax said:
Technically only metals with iron "rusts". You know, the red stuff.
Aluminum alloy won't "rust". It "corrodes". Which is a similar thing to "rust" as John points out.
Its all in the terms you use.

"Rust" is just a very non-technical term for metal oxidization, such as iron, aluminum or even titanium. Here's some interesting reading...

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,693558,00.html

and

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,1076497,00.html

By the way, did he ever figure out if those valve covers are aluminum or magnesium? lol

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
In technical terms, "rust" is surface corrosion in only iron alloys. The term "corrosion" is used for all others. If you are talking to non-technical people, then maybe "rust" can be used to describe surface corrosion in non-iron alloys. But I'm sure most metalurgists don't consider rust as corrosion in anything other than iron......but than again, I don't think they ever use the term "rust" anyway.
There are a lot of other types of corrosion, other than surface corrosion, in all kinds of alloys.
I get your point.........John.

My 3000 pipe is starting to corrode. So I would guess that its aluminum. Magnesium corrodes extremely fast so it doesn't seem to be made from magnesium. It also seem heavy for magnesium.

John Lunsford

Don't Bother Me
Mar 30, 2005
Asheville, NC
www.JBLMk3.com
You trying to prove a point here or something or just trying to get in the last "technical" word? lol Rust is just a layman term for metal corrosion most commonly in iron because that is the form most people see and recognize. You are right about one thing though, that that term is probably never used by "metallurgists." It's all good though, I think everyone gets the point. I just thought it was interesting is all.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
indeed. rust, corrode, oxidize. it's all the same when broken down into simplistics.

aluminum does oxidize, but only one molecule at a time. if you were to constantly be cleaning off the oxidation over a period of years, and by years i mean YEARS... start at 10 years old, end at 90. the aluminum would slowly become more and more thin. but the oxidation helps keep any further damage away by being a protective layer. quite strange. it is not the cancer that rust is to steel.