Metal Head Gasket

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
Hey guys i am putting a MHG on my 7M-GTE I want to know should i measure the amount of distance that the piston comes out of the block before having it decked. The Machinist recommanded it. ???

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Deeznuts said:
Hey guys i am putting a MHG on my 7M-GTE I want to know should i measure the amount of distance that the piston comes out of the block before having it decked. The Machinist recommanded it. ???

:umno:

Non-interference motor...the pistons do not go higher than the top of the block.

You need to make it very, very clear to the machinist that the RA spec is critical for a MHG on this motor.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
just tell the guy to take off as LITTLE material as possible. tell him the stock head gasket thickness and he should be able to tell you what size head gasket to get in order to keep a close to stock CR.

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
Sounds great guys whats a RA spec and ima loking at the block and the deck looks very clean (no pits) but ima have him measure across the top anyway. I spoke to another member of one of the supra forums he said he uses the 1.4 titan motor sport MHG so i purchased it. I hope that is ok. Im sure it will drop my compression. But i plan on boosting alil more when she is back together (10-12 psi). Is this safe and is it a good or bad idea?

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
jdub said:
:umno:

Non-interference motor...the pistons do not go higher than the top of the block.

Actually they do. Not much but they do and there is a spec for it in the tsrm.

Deeznuts said:
Sounds great guys whats a RA spec and ima loking at the block and the deck looks very clean (no pits) but ima have him measure across the top anyway. I spoke to another member of one of the supra forums he said he uses the 1.4 titan motor sport MHG so i purchased it. I hope that is ok. Im sure it will drop my compression. But i plan on boosting alil more when she is back together (10-12 psi). Is this safe and is it a good or bad idea?

Your compression won't change too much with the head and block getting resurfaced. You should be fine at 10-12 psi especially with the MHG....unless you have serious fuel delivery issues.