Metal Head Gasket Experience

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
copper spray is either a great thing or the devil. both mine and my brothers MHG's were copper sprayed before install and both are going strong thus far (over 2 years now){shrug}

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
chopstickz;1022568 said:
so you dont think copper spray will help if he never had the block and head machined?

You only use copper spray if the mhg doesnt already have sealer on it (most do)......copper spray will ruin the existing coating....and copper spray won't do crap if the block and head mateing surface is too ruff!!

gachax

Oct 16, 2007
Latvia
I was just wondering... how many of you, saying block has to be machined and copper spray is bad, have actually done it wrong and experienced the failure? I think you were afraid of the bad result an convinced yourselves to do it the "right" way, i.e. machine everything to the lowest RA.
I'm not saying you shouldn't resurface the block (of course it's the safest way). What I'm saying is if the block looks fine, and the head is machined (even couple of hundred miles ago), and the copper spray is used (in case there is no special coating on MG), and the ARP bolts are used, and if assembly is done properly, then you should be fine.

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
gachax;1022645 said:
I was just wondering... how many of you, saying block has to be machined and copper spray is bad, have actually done it wrong and experienced the failure? I think you were afraid of the bad result an convinced yourselves to do it the "right" way, i.e. machine everything to the lowest RA.
I'm not saying you shouldn't resurface the block (of course it's the safest way). What I'm saying is if the block looks fine, and the head is machined (even couple of hundred miles ago), and the copper spray is used (in case there is no special coating on MG), and the ARP bolts are used, and if assembly is done properly, then you should be fine.

Your taking a chance either way..... feeling lucky?