METAL DUST IN EXHAUST

Booner7M

Sleepy bitch
Apr 9, 2005
Quebec City
www.7MPOWER.COM
hi guys,

I have a 1990 turbo midly-to-highly modified and im getting metal dust coming out of the tail pipe... ive seen that from a broken cat but since I dont have one i was wondering where that could come from... since its light grey dust maybe its coming from the silencer but still its almost direct flow...

i just want to make sure thats no coming from the turbo or anything but since its light grey it dosent seem that its been in a combustion chamber..

any hints?

thnx
david

Last edited:

Booner7M

Sleepy bitch
Apr 9, 2005
Quebec City
www.7MPOWER.COM
It dosent seem magnetic, i checked the ic pipe and there were no residues but there were some dust around the bov exhaust (no sure if its metallic or not). I checked the axial play.. maybe a bit out of the spec but not that bad and the radial play was kinda big (roughly 1mm id say). The fins looked fine... So like you said maybe its the compressor wheel hitting the turbo housing. Do you know how can I make sure this is the problem? I really dont want to damage the engine with that crap..

thnx again

Booner7M

Sleepy bitch
Apr 9, 2005
Quebec City
www.7MPOWER.COM
yeah i hope so.. i noticed a slight change of sound and a vibration coming from the tail pipe

still there are not enough particles to make sure its no magnetic

ill do some dyno runs on wednesday ill check to make sure there is nothing coming out! (i dont want to dmg that nice engine.. its too young :) )

since im using synthetic oil and because of the oil film that it creates.. do you think that some metal dust would go in the oil and if so would i be able to see it?

peace

Attachments

• IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 20

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Stick your magnet into your tail pipe and drive around. If there is metal in your exhaust, some will stick to the magnet...

Easy to see.

In my view, if your turbo was putting out so much metal you can see it, it would be not long for the world. (It's more likely the exhaust somehow.)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Booner7M said:
It dosent seem magnetic, i checked the ic pipe and there were no residues but there were some dust around the bov exhaust (no sure if its metallic or not). I checked the axial play.. maybe a bit out of the spec but not that bad and the radial play was kinda big (roughly 1mm id say). The fins looked fine... So like you said maybe its the compressor wheel hitting the turbo housing. Do you know how can I make sure this is the problem? I really dont want to damage the engine with that crap..

thnx again

If it's on the Intake side it won't be magnetic but it also won't make it through the motor and out the exhaust.

Intake/Compressor wheel is aluminium but both wheels might be rubbing so you might be getting steel dust at the exhaust pipe.

Booner7M

Sleepy bitch
Apr 9, 2005
Quebec City
www.7MPOWER.COM
yeah right (IJ)

I did check the ic pipes and they were all clean and the throttle seemed just fine

i just had a little run and there were no that much of it... so maybe i freaked out too early !!
probably the exhaust (vibrant shit)

thnx for the advices ill keep you guys in toutch with that

see you around