messed my car up this morning.....

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
well, i was in the middle of a divided cloverleaf this morning and a dog ran out in front of me....

i swerved rather poorly and spun the car across the center curb divider at around 25mph.... i know, swerving is never the correct response... but it was a dog and im a pet owner....

i know i did some damage as the steering wheel is now not straight...and i have a bad shake at any speed above 15mph.... the wheel appears as though it is slightly out at the top... and it is visibly bent... there is a real nice mark on the front crossmember in the middle where the curb scraped....hope it isnt bent...

there is no body damage thankfully except the valence on the bumper, which was slightly bad before...now its screwed

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

anybody have 1 front 5 spoke....i for sure need that, condition of the paint does not matter as long as its straight.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sorry to hear man... as much of a dog lover I am (seriously, the more people I meet, the more I like dogs haha), I wouldn't think twice about running one over if it was either the dog or my car. Not trying to criticize, but not only are cars a lot more expensive, it's irresponsible to let your dog get out of your property... that's just irresponsible on the part of the owner. :nono:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it was a small stray I prolly would have just hit it. If it was a big dog prolly would have tried to go around it.

Guitarboarder28

learner
Dec 20, 2010
New Hampshire
www.facebook.com
would have swerved like you love my dogs too much and would have instantly thought what if that happened to them.

te72 sometimes they just get out, they're animals, cant control it 100% of the time..to run it over and say its the owners fault is a dumbass thing to say if your going to run it over at least man up and say yes i chose to hit it

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
sry about the accident, hope u get everything straightened out soon.

I always say, if it aint big enough to kill me, i aint swervin. i've seen and heard of plenty of accidents of people swerving to avoid an animal and they themselves end up getting seriously hurt.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Swerving to avoid an object is a naturual reaction. I try my best not to swerve. I just try to stop as best as I can. Whatever cut me off, ran in front of me, etc. will just have to deal with his own stupidity. I've seen accidents where people swerve to avoid objects, and they end up in a ditch upside down. The car that cut them off drives clean away and doesn't think twice to stop and render aid. Many people have died because of swerving. Just watch the news. All of those fatal single car accidents you see on the news and they report alcohol wasn't a factor... it's good chance they swerved to avoid something.

This bus was probably better off hitting the car that cut him off instead of hurting all of those kids. I bet you anything that car took off. [video=youtube;XdKofJlNOQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdKofJlNOQM[/video]

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Make sure you check out your suspension really well for cracks and damaged joints and bearings. Sounds like you at least bent a tie rod. Get a good alignment then too, with a caster and steering angle inclination check to be sure it's all straight.

Good call though, I would have swerved too. I feel terrible even hitting a squirrel (which is odd, because I love squirrel hunting).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
kotu100;1756378 said:
I always say, if it aint big enough to kill me, i aint swervin. i've seen and heard of plenty of accidents of people swerving to avoid an animal and they themselves end up getting seriously hurt.
This. You swerve to miss an animal around here, you're likely to die, so... I don't mean to sound like a heartless bastard (very much a dog lover), but for your own safety, it's usually best to resist the urge to swerve.

Last animal (only?) that I've hit so far was either a bobcat or a coyote up near Hoover Dam. Saw it wander into the road, changed lanes to go around it, then it doubled back right into my bumper. Kinda hard to feel sorry for an animal in that case... No need to beat yourself up over it either, remember, "all dogs go to heaven" ;)

destrux;1756415 said:
Good call though, I would have swerved too. I feel terrible even hitting a squirrel (which is odd, because I love squirrel hunting).

So... you'll shoot them, but running them over is out of the question? Ahh... I get it. Nobody likes the taste of tire, right... Good call.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
it was in town in a highly congested area... i did not know it was a dog until i came to a stop, and saw it running away....in that area it very easily coulda been a kid. the car is pretty fucked.... i bent the crossmember, the lower control arm, and two wheels... im gonna have to replace pretty much the entire front end....and go through the rear suspension as well before i will be comfortable driving it again...

it rolled up the first curb backwards...and rotated the front end into the curb....then slid across the divider curb and came to rest against the far curb... very hard hit on the first curb...the first curb was about 12" tall and square... so it did a lot of damage... im just glad nobody was in the oncoming lane...

as i have a kid on the way... its not on the top of my expense priorities.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
id take pictures.... but it is already in storage for the winter.... and besides.... we have all seen bent suspension parts... rite ian?