memory = faster comp?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
hey all,

my toshiba portege m400 tablet is crawling when i first turn it on and when i try to open programs (autodesk inventor). it was new in august, so it's probably outdated :)

my question is:

will adding more memory help me get a faster computer on startup, and loading/running programs?

another annoying problem is my right-click menus disappearing in inventor and won't reappear until i re-mouse over them, highlighting the options and making them 'pop' back onscreen (menu is there, but then disappears from view til i wiggle the mouse over it again)

any of you comp pros know if more memory will solve these problems? if so, what kind/brand is best? i think i need so-dimm but i suppose the manual will tell.

thanks for the help!

chris

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Clip;912293 said:
....(autodesk)....

For any Autodesk product, the more memory, the better. Autodesk stuff is very memory intensive (especially 3DSMAX and MAYA). Yes, having more memory will decrease startup time, but not as significantly as cleaning up your startup programs (start>run>msconfig) and defragging your computer (my comp>hard disk properties*right click*>tools). If you're looking to upgrade, make sure you know the memory type and max ram capacity your tablet can actually hold. Good luck

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
do i need memory that is registered/buffered? what's that mean?

if i have 1 gb in the form of two 512 mb cards, will i need to do anything special to the comp/op system if i take both out and put in two 1gb cards?

Last edited:

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Registered memory is more stable/reliable, but also more expensive.

As for the cards, most all memory is plug & play, the only restriction being what your computer can accept (like if your motherboard only supports pc2700 ram, you can't use pc5300 ram). Same with capacity: if your laptop only accept 2gb of ram, then it would be useless to buy two 2gb cards. Both of these requirements should be in your computer's manual or on Toshiba's support site.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Registered memory is best suited for servers where accuracy needs to be as close to 100% as possible.
It is unnecessary for personal computers.

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
I've been out of the computer scene for a while but I always thought a processor with more cache would give faster overall application speed? Has nothing to do with memory size or speed (unless you have a ridiculously small amount of memory to start with).

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Laptop processors are the easiest to overclock IMO. Just make sure you have adequate cooling if you do. More memory is always good, and if you have aim, icq, googletalk, itunes and all that crap starting up with the computer it slows it down a whole lot. Go into msconfig and see what fat you can trim.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Memory, processor, blah blah blah, its all about SEEK time, how fast your hard drive can find the data on your hard drive, the quantity of memory and speed of the processor has been far faster than the seek times of hard drives for years, most likely always will be. I learned this one boring weekend when I took a 166mhz Pentium computer, gave it 256 mb of ram, used a maxtor 120 gig 7200 rpm 8.9 ms seek time. That's a pretty advanced seek time compared to the seek time of a 1 gig hdd that was typically the available in the day of a 166. I installed win xp home, and a modern video card with 64mb of onboard ram. I was blown away at the speed it performed at compared to the day when I actually used the 166 as my desktop. Most laptops have comparatively slow seek times to desktop. Processor heat is another reason computers run slowly, the cooler it runs the faster it runs. I find many laptops have plugged up cooling systems from dust bunnies.
Now you want to speed it up even faster go to blackviper.com and adjust all your windows services by disabling the ones that allow hackers in, and others you have no use for.

Here's an easy memory test, fire up your biggest memory muncher, do a ctrl, alt, delete to bring up your windows task manager window, click on the performance tab and see what your computer is currently using compared to whats availbale. I think you' find even though you have a ton of ram, it doen not mean your program will be using it and there's still a ton available.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
thanks for the tips, geezer. i started up autodesk inventor and was using about 2.2-2.4gig of the 3.2 gigs i have installed. how's that compare with what you've seen?

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
CAD type proggys and games know how to use the RAM, most other proggys don't grab that much even if it's available. Sounds like your system is a smoker, did you try turning off all those uneeded windows services?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i tried a few of them, wasn't really sure how far i could go before i started screwing things up

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Do you mean the black viper settings? Use his Safe Category and nothing will be messed up. I've used these settings on hundreds of puters, then unuinstalled the stinking worthless anit-virus programs. I set everyone up to use Spybot and Adaware and thats it besides keeping your windows updated to the latest microsoft windows security updates. I'll try and finish my complete XP setup instructions and post them soon. As you go through the setup you'll see using common sense what it means to disable all these features XP has for the coporate world. It will make you home computer run faster and be far harder for any assholes to attack your system via the default windows installed networking services.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
simple answer : get a faster processor and/or more ram memory (4gb) i run adobe after effects and 3d studio max/inventor, each one of those programs use up to 30% of my overall ram memory, when it renders thats a different story.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
try reinstalling XP too if you ever have the chance. A cpu is kinda like a turbo and ram is the ammount of turbo lag you have. but the hard drive is the gas tank. or something like that. More ram is always better, but low ram is not always the problem. but tweaking XP to use less mem helps a lot too(turn off graphics, turn off unneeded services/features, etc). Also you can increase your page file...forget how to get there but look it up on google. dxdiag will tell you how much you have. And to increase your boot time make sure you dont have a huge picture on your desktop, get rid of as many icons as possible, turn off load on startup, etc.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Isphius;923750 said:
try reinstalling XP too if you ever have the chance. A cpu is kinda like a turbo and ram is the ammount of turbo lag you have. but the hard drive is the gas tank. or something like that. More ram is always better, but low ram is not always the problem. but tweaking XP to use less mem helps a lot too(turn off graphics, turn off unneeded services/features, etc). Also you can increase your page file...forget how to get there but look it up on google. dxdiag will tell you how much you have. And to increase your boot time make sure you dont have a huge picture on your desktop, get rid of as many icons as possible, turn off load on startup, etc.

another kid i know with the same laptop tried that and screwed something up. hes a bit more of a geek than i am so he knows what went wrong, said something about toshiba having their own way of doing things and had to wait for toshiba to send him one of their winXP discs to reinstall it (4-6 weeks).

how does the centrino duo processor compare to the ones on the market now? i've got a t7400 2.16ghz

i also increased my page file size to 4092mb, what will this affect (bad/good?)

Last edited: