Megasquirt ECU

mk3supreme

Hoes Anyone?
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Does anyone have any experience with the megasquirt as a stand-alone? The reason why I ask is, I got a hell of a deal on a 1JZ but it's just the engine. And I know the megasquirt is really affordable and I know a place that sells them assembled. My question is has anyone use it on a 1J/2J or 7M. And how is the wiring? You guys input will be greatly appreciated.

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
I know there is a guy on the megasquirt forums running one on a 1j but its in a truck not a supra or soarer. I believe he is using the megasquirt with the long acronym, not the MS1 or MS2. I thought he said something about steering others away from using it because of how hard it was to set up or run or something.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have it on my 1j. It's great been running with sequential COP for over 6 months. at first the car made only 295whp but since retuning it's much faster. The guy with the truck is actually the one who got me into it. There were a few problems setting it up but they've since been addressed.

Anyhow, I've had MS on my last 2 cars and I love it to death.

If I can help just lmk dude.

mk3supreme

Hoes Anyone?
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles
aphxero said:
I have it on my 1j. It's great been running with sequential COP for over 6 months. at first the car made only 295whp but since retuning it's much faster. The guy with the truck is actually the one who got me into it. There were a few problems setting it up but they've since been addressed.

Dude great I need your help to the max. I am buying a 1j but it is just the engine. how hard is the wiring when using a megasquirt? Also what version of megasquirt are using? You made 295rwhp with no mods i.e exhaust, intake? Please dude all i need help with really is the wiring. that is the most difficult for me.thanks in advance. also did you have to use any extra sensors?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
aphxero said:

While using COP, how did you wire it up to work? Do you need the ignitor? I need to know! Also, what are you using for ign pickup? Can we use the stock CPS?

Jeff

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
All of my sensors/ignition components are stock. No knock sensor or diagnostic box hooked up but everything else.

A friend of mine made the conditioniong circuit for me. I'm sure it can be copied easily. To elaborate a little it's using the stock crank trigger wheel and the rear cam sensor. Front cam sensor isn't needed.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
aphxero said:
All of my sensors/ignition components are stock. No knock sensor or diagnostic box hooked up but everything else.

A friend of mine made the conditioniong circuit for me. I'm sure it can be copied easily. To elaborate a little it's using the stock crank trigger wheel and the rear cam sensor. Front cam sensor isn't needed.

I can do a full writeup if you can provide me with the information on how to do it. Using the stock sensors is the way to go, but I have run into dead ends with using the stock crank position sensor on the 1JZ because of the code needed???? Also, are you using MSI or II? I REALLY am very VERY interested. I can go 36-1, we all can, but why when we can use the stock for a superior install.

You have a PM.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Btw, I'm using MS1 ver.3 board with a seperate conditioning circuit for the sequental COP. Running firmware MSNS-E ver.029i.

I'll try and get a good schemataic for the circuit. Like I said my friend built it but it's not too complicated looking. If we can get this going I can provide my map for anyone here :)

Btw, here's the dyno from when i first got it running:
1jdyno.jpg

Thanks,

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
aphxero said:
Okay here's the info needed to use the stock 1jz ignition triggers: http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/wheel2.html Just remember you're decoding a nippondenso 24 tooth wheel no missing teeth with a single tooth second trigger.

I'm thinking of taking my harness apart and making a layout chart for the less electrically inclined.

I think you could reinforce your income by making said harnesses! :naughty:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
aphxero said:
hmm now there's an idea! Maybe even load a base map huh? Anyone interested?

Ummm, yeah. A plug -n- play harness for a stand alone would rock, but you need to consider that the cost for both the MS1 & the harness needs to be at or below the Power FC since it's a plug -n- play stand alone too. Can you do it?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Lemme build another one and count it all up. I'm guesstimating it would be about $600 total with ecu, harness, base map ready to go.

Sound okay?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
aphxero said:
Lemme build another one and count it all up. I'm guesstimating it would be about $600 total with ecu, harness, base map ready to go.

Sound okay?

How long will it take to get everything together? Would that include all of the clips on the harness too? Everything (gauges, A/C, et al) work correctly? A lot of questions, right?

All that, plug it in & drive it? Sounds like a really good price. Do you have any pictures of the harness on your car?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
rakkasan said:
Ummm, yeah. A plug -n- play harness for a stand alone would rock, but you need to consider that the cost for both the MS1 & the harness needs to be at or below the Power FC since it's a plug -n- play stand alone too. Can you do it?

the power FC is way to expensive IMO. With the megasquirt setup, you'll have enough left over to purchase a wideband too, and still be under what the FC costs, and be able to do more.

Also, you can buy JUST THE ENGINE, and NOT the entire front clip because you do not need a lot of what comes with the clip, and then you have to get rid of the clip and the parts you don't use. For example, I have a 1JZ in my 1983 supra. I don't need anything that came from the original JZ chassis. The factory relays on my 83 are all that's needed.

Thanks for providing all the information aphxero.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
if you make that setup om almost posative that you can put me on the list of 1J MK3 supras. the only thing holding me back from doing anything is wiring. for the emissions, i can get an exemption. subs, amps and headunits are one thing to wire up, but lengthening and sodering soo many times over and over again would be a PITA.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
well, I'm not sure about the AC. Does the ma70 AC trigger go through the body harness or what? I don't really have experience wiring an ma70.

Anyone have an ma70 ewd?

I think I'll pull my harness and ecu apart this weekend. Hopefully I'll have a clear idea of how long it takes to make this stuff for a supra. My harness is a JZZ30 so everything is completely different.