Megan coilovers?

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
I know I haven't been a forum member long and I'm not tring to cause trouble or criticize anyone, but i have a question for you Wiisass. Have you ever done any track testing with data acquisition on your setup ? I ask because I have some racing experiance (not a ton Im not an F1 tecH) and i have done some Shock dyno graphs and spring rates and matched setups and done everything by the book till it seems perfect and also know many others who have as well. Actuall track performance has alot more to do with a drivers style/preferances then just math. I've taken tests for racing scholarships and such, and several have a question similar to "What is the largest contributing factor to vehicle dynamics?" and the answer is usually "Driver Inputs". Now I'm not saying your wrong, not at all, and im not against your product. Its just you voice some very strong opinions and all I was wondering is if you have any telemetry data showing the performance differance between your setup and others. Such as skid pad or a predetermined obstacle of your choice.

Just curious because if you could show me your setup pulling .07 Gs more then another I'd probably buy from you, as would others. I know Gs aren't everything and alot of what your talking about is planting the tire over uneven surfaces and controlling transfer.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Johny, good questions. I wish I could say that I do have good data for my setup in the respect that you're asking, but I do not. As you should know, that kind of equipment is expensive and running a test of my setup versus others would be very hard to organize and fund. I would gladly set up some kind of donation thing and people could send me money to get all of this tested and I will run each set of dampers on the same car, on the same track, with all the same sensors and compare after all the tests are done. But I would need at least $100 from every member and the track time donated and the test setups donated. And that could get a little bit of data.

And the thing is, what I have developed isn't by the book, I mean, I haven't found instructions on how to determine valving and everything through some book. My understanding of suspension and dampers has been taken from a lot of source, yes a lot of reading, but a lot more physical testing than anything. So I have found out what works and what doesn't through real testing. I wish I could supplement that with a lot of data acq and if the good setups weren't so expensive and the cheaper setups were enough to get by on, I would definitely have it. But even with a cheaper setup, you're still spending more than anyone on here has ever spent on suspension just on a couple sensors.

All this testing and working with different drivers and different driving styles has allowed me to factor this into my setups. They are not just math. I wish, that would've made things a lot easier for me. The math will only get you so far, and then you would just have natural frequencies and critical damping coefficients, but there's a lot more than that they you would need. You need actual damping coefficients which would be chosen based on several different factors and then they would be different for high and low speed ideally. So after I get the math part done, it's time for the modeling. I'm usually just using a model that I put together, it's a 4 2dof quarter car models tied together. It's simulink/matlab based, I read in my data from the dyno and plug in the constants and then run the car through different scenarios to look at how everything responds.

I talked about all of this in one my article for Drift and RWD Sport Magazine, so feel free to take a look at it if you want.
http://www.theoryinpracticeengineering.com/drift_mag/Damper_tuning.pdf

That article also talks a little about my use of the driver. And while the driver is very important, I don't like tuning the car around the driver. I feel that it can hinder the performance of the car. The driver should be much more adaptive than any car will be and if the car is perfect, then why should it be changed because a driver doesn't want to work with it. Sometimes it is necessary to make changes for the driver, but in my opinion I think the driver should work harder to get more out of the car rather than adjust the car and get less out of it.

So I would say the answer to the question of the largest contributing factor to vehicle dynamics is not the driver, but the tires. But it's kind of a trick question because the tires wouldn't be asked to do anything without driver inputs, so it depends on how you're looking at the question.

This all reminds me of an editorial I read in Racecar Engineering, it was about the American versus European way of tuning a suspension. The American way is to adjust the suspension to keep the driver happy, while the Euro way is to setup the car and make the driver adjust to it. The Euro way is faster in the end. The car should be the limiting factor in how fast it can go, not the driver. So by making changes based on what the driver wants, the driver is actually limiting the cars performance and it's either time to get him to learn to drive better or replace him with someone that can.

Of course, this isn't for all driver's, some driver's do deserve changes in the suspension. But in most cases, changes to make the driver happy will not keep the tires as happy as they should be. And happy tires win races.

I have used driver's as tuning tools, so you could say that I made changes for the drivers. But my driver selection was very careful and the change wasn't made because the driver wanted it, the driver told me what the car was doing and I made the change based on his report. I also had driver's with different styles driving the same car with the same setup and they were both able to get the most out of the car.

Anyway, with all that said, I don't have much to compare to when looking at my setup versus a Megan setup. All I have to really compare are spring rates and they will tell you a lot, but they won't tell you much, if you know what I mean. I have posted dyno charts for my setup and listed the spring rates, so the reason I can't do a full comparison on Megans is because I don't have enough data. All of my opinions that you have read on Megans and other asian dampers is based on my experience with many different asian setups and the generalizations hold true for pretty much everything except for the real expensive stuff.

Also, you should know that comparing the amount of G's a setup can produce is more a function of spring rate and tire selection than dampers. Dampers will determine transient behavior and measured G's are usually a steady state thing unless we're comparing accelerometer data.

But I would love to do some kind of mass suspension test if I could get enough interest. People want data and answers, but they don't want to spend any money or time trying to get them. And as much I would like to personally test and compare every competing product out there, there is just not the time or the money to allow me to do so.

But if someone can get my dyno plots, there is a lot of information that can be taken out of them when applied to a certain case. So I can analyze and compare them with other setups. But until I get some data to disprove my past experience with these types of setups, my opinions won't change.

Tim

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
Well I like the way you think, and yes there are tons of theories on suspensions. Personally my view on them is, setup is worth more than any suspension money can buy, and I also think suspension is one of the most important and overlooked aspecs of any vehicle. With that in mind, I am going to be purchasing a lower end coilover, for now. because I feel that even the $2200 coilovers are not much higher quality (as you have stated), but this is mostly true to our vehicles. I say this because if we had MKIV supras then the "asian" companies make MUCH higher quality products, and i have first hand experiance with these. However as i stated because of the lack of demand MKIII supra owners are stuck with sub par suspension.

Any how as for myself, I am interested in your product and I would love to speak with you more indepth about this in the future, but simply put as finely tuned as you claim your dampers, for that very reason they wont work on my car. Heres why, I am attempting to build a time attack supra, and i have been criticized about it many time so anyone can take a shot at me if they want it wont hurt. So my car is going to have a different balance and weight distribution. I am working with a 2J and every electrical/movable object is going backward, even the engine. My goal for weight is under 3000lbs which I've also been told isnt possible with an MKIII, but we'll see. Basicly my goal is to prove that I, myself can build a car that was previously not in any league into something atleast compeditive as a selling point for my future business.

So basicly next year I will be attending many Time attack/auto-X events. I am planning on using some data acquisition system of some sort. Right now i am looking at the MSD system it seems to be the best bang for the buck bar none. I don't know to what extent you'd be interested or how far you'd be willing to travel but possibly next year i will be near you. It may be possible for us to calaborate on something. I like the fact that you take the initiative to try something even big name companies wont, we're kind of in the same ball park here.

Oh and one question about your bilsteins. Are you using Nitrogen with a seperator pistion or nitrogen sacks ? If your using pistons if we were to work somthing out would you be able to use sacks ? i know theres some contraversy over the two but i have always been a fan of the baggies I've seen to many seperator pistons leak.

Edit: Checked your previous threads and noticed the seperator pistons. Anyway same question as above, but also does bilstien offer remote reservoirs for that shock model ? I've never used biltiens with reservoirs before, could really be a killer combo.

Last edited:

kjj512

May 27, 2006
PA
Johnysupra said:
Any how as for myself, I am interested in your product and I would love to speak with you more indepth about this in the future, but simply put as finely tuned as you claim your dampers, for that very reason they wont work on my car. Heres why, I am attempting to build a time attack supra, and i have been criticized about it many time so anyone can take a shot at me if they want it wont hurt. So my car is going to have a different balance and weight distribution. I am working with a 2J and every electrical/movable object is going backward, even the engine. My goal for weight is under 3000lbs which I've also been told isnt possible with an MKIII, but we'll see. Basicly my goal is to prove that I, myself can build a car that was previously not in any league into something atleast compeditive as a selling point for my future business.

Actually the suspension Wiisass has on my car right now would be almost perfect for you. The dampers were designed for mostly road racing and drifting so basically the same forces your car will see apply. Also like stated in the group buy thread Wiisass can change the valving to meet any customers specifications. This allows you to specify the way you want your car to handle then have a set up valved specifically for that. And don't let anyone tell you a 3000lb supra isn't possible because thats what mine is. When we weighed it last without bumper or exhaust it was just over 3000lbs since then we have done further weight reduction. The goal is under 3000lbs with a full cage so we're going to have to get creative. I think the only difference will be that you will have a little better weight distribution after pushing the engine further back.

And to keep the thread on topic the "asian" coilovers for the MKIV are in the same price, quality range as the MKIII. The only difference is that there is much more demand like you said so more companies offer setups. Most of these are smaller companies that offer quality goods for people who demand them and can afford them. Set up on cars is important but a crappy damper will only allow you to handle so well. You get what you pay for and we all know MKIV guys usually have the money for more expensive set ups.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Johnysupra said:
Well I like the way you think, and yes there are tons of theories on suspensions. Personally my view on them is, setup is worth more than any suspension money can buy, and I also think suspension is one of the most important and overlooked aspecs of any vehicle. With that in mind, I am going to be purchasing a lower end coilover, for now. because I feel that even the $2200 coilovers are not much higher quality (as you have stated), but this is mostly true to our vehicles. I say this because if we had MKIV supras then the "asian" companies make MUCH higher quality products, and i have first hand experiance with these. However as i stated because of the lack of demand MKIII supra owners are stuck with sub par suspension.

Set up is very important, but even a good set up won't cover up a poor suspension. If you want to buy cheap dampers, then that's your choice, I would recommend against it, but that's just my opinion. And what stuff have you used for the Mk4? I've seen the same trend with those coilovers as well.

Like Kevin said, you must have missed the part where I said that my setups can be valved to the application. The prototype setup on Kevin's car is actually valved for a 3000lb car. The trick is in my models. The testing on the prototype setup allowed me to verify the models. With these models, I can setup the damper for anything.

Under 3k is totally possible on an Mk3 and you don't even need to spend much money. If you spend a little money, it could be even less. Kevin's car will be under 3k with the cage and without replacing too many things with lighter weight components, at least for now.

So basicly next year I will be attending many Time attack/auto-X events. I am planning on using some data acquisition system of some sort. Right now i am looking at the MSD system it seems to be the best bang for the buck bar none. I don't know to what extent you'd be interested or how far you'd be willing to travel but possibly next year i will be near you. It may be possible for us to calaborate on something. I like the fact that you take the initiative to try something even big name companies wont, we're kind of in the same ball park here.

MSD makes a data acq system? I'm a fan of the AIM stuff for lower budget applications, but they're still a little bit of money. There's also a couple other lower budget data acq setups, Racepak maybe, I don't remember. They're probably just as good, they just don't have as nice an interface or software in some cases. Let me know what you need and I might be able to help.

Oh and one question about your bilsteins. Are you using Nitrogen with a seperator pistion or nitrogen sacks ? If your using pistons if we were to work somthing out would you be able to use sacks ? i know theres some contraversy over the two but i have always been a fan of the baggies I've seen to many seperator pistons leak.

Edit: Checked your previous threads and noticed the seperator pistons. Anyway same question as above, but also does bilstien offer remote reservoirs for that shock model ? I've never used biltiens with reservoirs before, could really be a killer combo.

They use seperator pistons. There can be some leakage past them, but I don't think it's an issue. Especially on setups that can easily be rebuilt. If you're rebuilding and taking care of the dampers like you should, there will be no issues. Sacks could be a good idea, but I don't like the idea of sacks floating around inside the damper. But I haven't messed with them at all and I had only seen then in some twintube dampers.

Bilstein does have remote reservoirs and other remote reservoirs can be fit. They also have adjustable shafts and there are ways to fit other companies adjustable shafts as well. They're pretty modular in terms of what you can do with them after you open them up.

Tim

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
Johnysupra said:
I say this because if we had MKIV supras then the "asian" companies make MUCH higher quality products, and i have first hand experiance with these.

I didnt mean on MKIV i just ment the coilovers, Like the Tein super racing dampers on STI's.

I've also heard that JIC magic has some decent stuff for the 240's.

When I say under 3k pds, i use that term not to get to much flaming. My actual goal is somewhere around 2700 or less.

I know Wiisass says he can tune it all for different setups, but if i was going to go with a full setup I would like some one on one I like playin with shocks to :p. But I am talking in the future and if Wiisass is into my project at all, this is all just testing the waters. I need to build reliable contacts for things i cant supply myself.

As for cheap coil overs im not tring to make a statement or anything but, myself as a driver I am not going to benefit from a fully tuned coilover as of yet. Hell i've only even driven an MKIII once. I just need something so i can balance the car out for now, once I can drive it with em and I "Can" upgrade I will. I know everone else has a different opinion here. My horsepower goals are future oriented to. I could build a 700HP monster engine easily, but ill look like a retard driving it around the track at this point in time. My project is based off of my knowledge and estimates. I do have some pretty off the wall ideas that i've not seen implemented in MKIII's yet, but we'll have to see how those pan out.

Any how Im just throwin out ideas here, Im not going to be any kind of professional racer or anything, but if i can show up some guys with big money tied up in their cars ill be happy.

Once i get a more reliable schedule stuff like this will be easier to figure out. I just don't know how many events I am going to be able to attend right now.
I've still got hundreds of hours left before im even ready to get serious, but I have always been interested in a Coilover setup built specificly for me, and I'd really like to see that come to fruition in the future.

P.S. Thanks for the Educated replies guys, one thing I hate about forums is how what you say can be scrutinized 1000 different ways and come off wrong or have little kids say "DUMB ASS!". This is a good community

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Tein and JIC don't make me think quality, but again that's another issue. And I haven't used any of their real expensive dampers, but their sub $2k stuff all seems the same.

2700 lbs is going to cost some money, especially if you're putting a cage in the car. It can be done, but it's not going to be easy or cheap.

I would love to work on something with you, but send me a PM or email at jrud@tipengr.com and we can talk about it more, this thread is already getting too far off topic.

Well if you want to run cheap coilovers for now, swapping to a good damper later on will definitely show an improvement. I tend to look at it a different way. A properly valved coilover will let you be a better driver right off the bat. The car feels more stable and you don't have to compensate for any crappy valving which could end up teaching you bad habits. Maybe Kevin (KJJ512) will chime in again on this. I'm just getting him started in racing and my prototype setup is on his car.

Well let me know how things plan out with your car. Maybe make another thread in here or another section of the site and we can talk about it more. But like I said before, this is getting too far off topic already, but I would like to talk more about it.

Tim

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
hey guys sry i've been MIA for a minute but i was workin hard on tryin to get my supra back together before christmas. sad to say i didnt finish.
i do have the link however for the megan coilovers which were asked for.
this thread has turned out to be great with tons of info but im still lost in terms of what type of suspension set-up to get for my supra. i enjoy a car that handles well and has a stiff ride with little body roll but i also don't want a harsh gittery ride. i need something that i can set-up for a good daily driving street car and a few runs at the track here and there. im not the kinda person that likes to spend money twice on the same thing so i wanna buy a set of coilovers that i will be happy with and will last for a long time. i kno with the tein coilovers they are rebuildable. are these megan coilovers rebuildable as well? blisteins are great but i have trouble finding a set for supras. maybe im looking in the wrong places? i dunno. im not a hardcore racer and im not setting up my car for the track. i just want a car that will handle superb in the street and that can be adjusted to run down the track for a few passes every now and again.

Link to Megan Coilovers for 838:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mega...011QQitemZ320168856590QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

thanks again for all the useful information guys i apprciate it!!!

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I doubt that the Megan's are rebuildable, at least easily available. But someone might prove me wrong.

How can you not find Bilsteins, they're everywhere for the car. Ckanderson is selling the dampers themselves for a good price and if you wanted something with springs and all of that, I can get it all for you.

But other than that, I think I've covered everything else that you mentioned in this thread. I think a Bilstein setup woudl be what you're looking for. You could start with just the Bilsteins and a decent spring setup on there and then if you want to change or upgrade the setup, the Bilsteins can easily be revalved/rebuilt/added to.

Tim

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Under warranty, Megans are not rebuilt. You are provided with an instant exchange up to 1 year, then partial cost exchange for up to 3 years.

So basically, you always get a new set. Someone might rebuild them somewhere, but it is not up to the customer to worry about it.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
There isn't anything available off the shelf from Bilsteins that's adjustable for these cars. But with the Bilsteins, there are a lot of options.

And if you're using the fact that they aren't adjustable to compare them to these other asian setups. You need to look at the quality of the adjuster and how well they work. I've seen a lot of adjuster setups that don't work as advertised.

Tim

Jenya

SupraBoii
Feb 8, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Wiisass said:
As awesome a review as that is, do you have anything more specific to say? What you do with the car, how they're setup, etc?

I have them set basically on the stiffest setting, and slammed for daily use. When i go autocross my car i higher the car a little bit, performs way better in the turns. It is a stiff suspension for daily use however, but i don't mind it at all. When it's set up for daily driving (stiff/slammed) drifts really well too.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
Wiisass said:
There isn't anything available off the shelf from Bilsteins that's adjustable for these cars. But with the Bilsteins, there are a lot of options.

And if you're using the fact that they aren't adjustable to compare them to these other asian setups. You need to look at the quality of the adjuster and how well they work. I've seen a lot of adjuster setups that don't work as advertised.

Tim

can u specify in the many option there are with the bilsteins?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Jenya said:
I have them set basically on the stiffest setting, and slammed for daily use. When i go autocross my car i higher the car a little bit, performs way better in the turns. It is a stiff suspension for daily use however, but i don't mind it at all. When it's set up for daily driving (stiff/slammed) drifts really well too.

I just installed my megan racing coilovers track series and the rears on their lowest possible height still doesnt seem to go all that low, it makes it look decent but doesnt make it look slammed, theres still a tire gap, whats with that?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Jenya;872777 said:

Why do you need them on full stiff all the time? Just so the feel like you think they should? Your car would probably handle better with the damping turned down a little. It sounds like the car is too stiff. Why do you have the car lower for daily driving than you do for autox?

#1StunnaVic;873505 said:
can u specify in the many option there are with the bilsteins?

There are adjustable shafts, different piston options, remote reservoirs, they're easily rebuildable and revalvable. You can pretty much make a Bilstein damper do anything that you would ever need it to. But this isn't the off the shelf stuff, but it can be modified to have all these options.

CyFi6;873564 said:
I just installed my megan racing coilovers track series and the rears on their lowest possible height still doesnt seem to go all that low, it makes it look decent but doesnt make it look slammed, theres still a tire gap, whats with that?

How much preload do you have on the spring? With zero preload, you should be able to go pretty low with these, at least that's what it looks like based on what other people have said. It also depends on tire size for how it's going to look. With a shorter tire, the car will be lower, but you will still have wheel gap. With a taller tire, the car will sit higher but the tire will fill the wheel well.

Tim

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
My preload is set to basically 0. The front hieght adjustment can go much much lower, but the rears are maxxed out and still not very low. The front suspension also seems to compress much more when going from the car being raised to on the ground compared to the rears. Can i buy some sort of dead coils to add to my current ones so i cant lower the rears more?

Also, the gaps for the front springs seem very small, like the spirng is being compressed a lot with just the weirght of the car on them, the one time i bottomed out my suspension im pretty sure i maxxed out the spring befre id be able to max out the damper. Also, is it unsafe to run the spring with "negative preoload". Dunno how to explain it better but having the spring floating in there when the car is off the ground. Is it possible for the spring to unseat while driving if i did that?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Well something sounds weird. The front spring/damper move less than the rear with the same amount of wheel travel. Are the right springs on the right end of the car?

What do you mean dead coils? You could use helper springs but you might have to get a shorter main spring or if there's room you can just lower the perch and add the helper and intermediate spring seat.

People have run cars with "negative preload" or non-captive springs. If you aren't lifting up wheels during driving then the spring should stay seated. And depending on perch and hat design, the spring could be forced back into the proper position if a wheel does lift, but sometimes it can cause some damage if the hat doesn't align itself properly when the spring tries to get back in its seat.

Tim