mechanical temp gauge

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I installed my mechanical temp gauge in the location of the csi time switch, behind t-stat, not using the cold start. i am jsut wondering if this area can get an occasional air pocket or something? notice my gauge will creep to 215 then drop off to 195, which is where it normally runs now with cooling fan setup. is there a better location that wont fluctuate so much? Sometimes ill be cruising temp at 195 for god knows how long the will get to 205, come to a stop light and temp drops back down? Is this gauge issue or cooling issue? Factory gauge does not move.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok thats kinda what i was assuming. but whats odd is how it stays til i slow down or stop? could that just be due to fan airflow on highway, or just outside temp off ground? At night it does not do it as bad. Also on these engines how hot is too hot, noticed that the mech gauge sat at 215 while driving, but factory gauge was good thats what gets me, temp did not increase under boost no coolant loss and no expansion fill. I am running an mhg just wanna make sure i am just worrying about nothing. BTW when it stayed at 215 and did not drop i did however pull for a few min let car idle then it dropped to 205 and stayed steady.

Just curious

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

Ok thats kinda what i was assuming. but whats odd is how it stays til i slow down or stop? could that just be due to fan airflow on highway, or just outside temp off ground? At night it does not do it as bad. Also on these engines how hot is too hot, noticed that the mech gauge sat at 215 while driving, but factory gauge was good thats what gets me, temp did not increase under boost no coolant loss and no expansion fill. I am running an mhg just wanna make sure i am just worrying about nothing. BTW when it stayed at 215 and did not drop i did however pull for a few min let car idle then it dropped to 205 and stayed steady.

Just curious