May sell the Supra...1/3 way to the darkside?

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
Well, this all started about a month ago when some lil old lady traded in a '95 TT auto on a rav4. I would have worked free for that if they'd let me. haha But no. I couldn't affodr the 25K either so it sat. Time went by and word in the dealership was the MK4 was SOLD. Anyway, the guy came to pick it up and that was that. The next day I see why he bought it. He traded in his super clean '98 Lex SC400. Black/tan leather, tinted, not a fan of the factory chrome wheels but whatever, 148k miles. I put it on my hoist after work and gave it a good once over. Looks like it's been pretty well cared for. :) Smart man and excellent taste.

Now to my car.. It's an '88 5spd, turbo, targa car. I've owned it since about 2003. Just turned over 137k this week. Grey cloth interior, Maroon (3H1) outside, lowered, freshly painted wheels w/new tires, and some minor mods; 3" exhaust no cat with a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and a Magnaflow 14834 muffler, intake, MAFT Pro (sd), 2.5" hardpipes w/stock IC, hacked shifter (w/TRD knob. lol), "custom" Southbend clutch, 10psi., and needs a little body work.

A buddy of mine just blew up his Saab 9000 turbo last week(he's got a silver '84 Cressida I wanna buy). The kid loves my car. I was thinking it over and talked to him about it and told him to buy my car and I'll use that money towards the SC.. I have teased him about selling him my car before he bought his Saab too, so he didn't think I was serious at 1st. I talked to our GM and he told me I could have the SC for $6400. I told my buddy and he said "get the body work done and we'll see what hapens".

So here I am sitting with this Lexus in my driveway thinkin' about it. My car will be going into the body shop in a week or so. I do like my car a lot. I hate it when it breaks down, but it always puts a smile on my face when I drive it. I push it often, but I don't really abuse it if that makes sense. Now, I've been a Toyota guy for a while so it makes the jump to the Lexus a little less stressful and I know it is also a good platform to start with as there are many things to do with an SC. I've been entertaining the idea of getting a different car for a while, but nothing really came to mind that I felt would be an affordable alternative. We'll see what happens.... hopefully they don't sell it before I get my car finished.

CLIFFS: Might sell my MK3 to a friend and use the $ for a clean SC400.

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
Thanks. I was thinking it'd be a pretty fair swap. It's about the same weight as my MK3 and it's all cushy too. lol I noticed right away on the highway how similar to a Supra it feels. Not power wise, but the way the weight shifts and the feel of the suspension. Bonus. I'm actually gonna go drive it now b4 the sun's all the way down.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Think of it as an Evo Supra :)

it's a true GT car whereas the Mk4 became more of a sports car, I spent some time in an SC400 a couple of months back and am way impressed with them in general.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Tell your friend to buy it as is and have him put it in the paint shop. What if you get your car painted and he decides not to buy. Then you'll be out $1500 and that much further away from your SC400. As a matter of face I'd have that MKIII on craigslist, ebay, supramania, supraforums, autotrader, and any other site to sell it ASAP. Don't wait on one person to buy your car. Put it out there and get it sold. Then buy that SC400 before it sells. Good luck.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Suprapowaz!(2);1558428 said:
Tell your friend to buy it as is and have him put it in the paint shop. What if you get your car painted and he decides not to buy. Then you'll be out $1500 and that much further away from your SC400. As a matter of face I'd have that MKIII on craigslist, ebay, supramania, supraforums, autotrader, and any other site to sell it ASAP. Don't wait on one person to buy your car. Put it out there and get it sold. Then buy that SC400 before it sells. Good luck.

THIS^^

Unless he's putting money down that will cover the bodywork and you'd be able to keep if he backed out, absolutely NOT.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I was just thinking. What if your "buddy" has you put your Supra in the body shop to get fixed and painted. He backs out and leaves you hanging. Leaves you in a bad position and knows you really can't buy that SC400, so you have to take it back to the dealership. He shows up to test drive and buys that SC400 right underneath your feet! LMAO!
Is that what he meant by, "get the body work done and we'll see what hapens"?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Suprapowaz!(2);1558853 said:
I was just thinking. What if your "buddy" has you put your Supra in the body shop to get fixed and painted. He backs out and leaves you hanging. Leaves you in a bad position and knows you really can't buy that SC400, so you have to take it back to the dealership. He shows up to test drive and buys that SC400 right underneath your feet! LMAO!
Is that what he meant by, "get the body work done and we'll see what hapens"?

Automotive "CockBlock" ;)

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
haha That would suck. My car is going to get fixed either way. He's gotta wait 'till he graduates before he can get the money and he told me he wants a MK3 regardless (pref. a 1J/2J manual). Seemed like a good opportunity for me to make a move as well. If it falls through and the SC gets sold or he backs out of my car I'll just wait 'till my '53 chevy is sold then think about selling the MK3 again for a different car.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
SC's are extremely nice cars and people keep them for a long time.. My brother just bought one last year and it was a difficult search. They were either really rusty and had 300,000mi on them, or super clean with average miles.

They're a nice driving car, and have TONS of amenities that I feel the MKIV should have gotten instead of, as Ian said, going the "Sports Car" route instead of a true GT type car. If I ever got out of MK3's, I'd probably have a GTE swapped SC300 or a Supercharged SC400

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
A guy at the shop I used to go to has a SC with a 2jzgte swapped in with a single. I think he was running low 12's but his trans keeps giving him headaches. I asked him what he would do if he ever got a chance to get a mkiv shell, he said he'd rather swap everything over to the supra.
A quick drive was all I needed to ensure my swap to my mkiii XD

Good luck on the buy.

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
You won't regret the SC400. It's an awesome car. I work on a customer's SC300 all the time, and another SC400, and got the shop manuals for them. I plan on working on them more in the future. Good solid dependable cars, and good power, etc.

Jeff