May pick up 87 Turbo, have questions

Rockstar

Dec 10, 2008
Va.
I've been into these cars ever since I picked up my 87 Cressida. I may be trading a guy my 89 GS500 and some cash for his 87 Turbo Supra. He says it needs a clutch which he has, and it cant be driven. He says it runs good, no play in turbo. I have two questions:

1. What problems with the clutch would make the car not move at all?
2. Are there any any transmission issues that could be mistaken for the car needing a new clutch?
3. Other then a BHG, what common problems do these cars have?

Thanks, and I'm sorry if this is a repost, but I can't find my original post on here and I've posted this on other forums as well.

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
number1... the clutch could just be burnt up that bad and siezed together. Or just burnt up and not grabbing anymore.

number 2... If the car doesn't move at all under it's own power. It could be a broken input shaft on the trans. If the car doesn't move at all (as in not running) and still doesn't move. The trans could be siezed up form lack of oil.

number 3... BHG is the most common. Especially with the stock gasket. Maintence is a higher coast than most cars... But it's a supra. So it's expected. Electrical harness in the engine compartment... the connectors like to get brittle from the heat. Same goes for vaccum lines. Alot depends on how good of shape it's in and if it was taking care of properly.
My car was never taken care right:nono:. So I run into alot of little problems with mine:3d_frown:. Hence my screenname... nightmare:sarcasm:.
But... It all depends on how it has been taken care of really.