Maxima HID's

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
Just as an informative note, I was able to retrofit the Maxima HID's I had been using on my sentra into the projector housings on the supra. Took me about 2 hrs total and they look great. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

The previous owner had installed angel eye projector housings, which look OK. I just removed the bulbs, disassembled the bulb so that I just had the 3 pronged metal ring with a hole in it. Enlarged the hole so the HID bulb would fit into it, then used the metal clip to hold the bulb in place in the projector housing. Wired the ballasts into the low beam supply and strapped everything down under the popup housing.

The HID's can be found pretty cheap at a junkyard. They came from an 03 maxima I think.

TSURU

Mar 15, 2006
Fremont, Ca.
that sounds like it'll be real bright, projectors, and now HIDs. can't wait till you post of pictures. do you by any chance have pictures of yourself doing the actual work on the bulb? like what you did step by step? and the housings you are talking are those the Ebay projectors? i saw a set on ebay, without the angel eye part, i was wondering if the projector part makes an improvement in visibility.

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
As requested, some pics.

p185392_1.jpg

Remove the bulb that is there, leave the clip in place.

p185392_2.jpg

Disassemble the bulb with a small flat tip screwdriver and remove these parts so that you are left with this:
p185392_3.jpg

Dremel the center out a bit.

p185392_4.jpg

Put it into the housing, here.

p185392_5.jpg

Carefully put the HID bulb in the socket, then place into the housing. Fiddle with the metal clip until it is secured.

p185392_6.jpg

p185392_7.jpg

You'll have to cut a bit out of the center of the rubber seal and modify it to slip over the socket.

p185392_8.jpg

I put the ballast down here and zip tied it to the side.

p185392_9.jpg

Bulb off.

p185392_10.jpg

Bulb on.

p185392_11.jpg

Bling, bling!

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
Night shots, I didn't feel like moving all the cars around to line it up on the garage door, sorry, maybe another night. Maybe these will help give you a better idea, IJ.

p185566_1.jpg

Low aspect.

p185566_2.jpg

High aspect.

p185566_3.jpg

From inside.

p185566_4.jpg

Angel eyes only.

p185566_5.jpg

Up close angel eye.

I guess the angel eyes look OK when used as a parking light. I've never been a big fan of them as part of the headlight, but with the HID's on, you can't even tell.

TSURU

Mar 15, 2006
Fremont, Ca.
that looks freakin sick! i think i'm going to do this as well, as a cheaper alternative than buying an HID kit =P cause i know that i'd be able to do some 5 finger discount from the local pick n pull! =)

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I'm thinking of picking up a bulb/ballast kit like that from a wrecker. Are the ballasts easy to find and remove? Any idea on the size of the bulb housing? I'm thinking of fitting these into my Supra but I've got 3x6" camaro halogen lights in there now.

mixmastermatt said:
Just as an informative note, I was able to retrofit the Maxima HID's I had been using on my sentra into the projector housings on the supra. Took me about 2 hrs total and they look great. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

The previous owner had installed angel eye projector housings, which look OK. I just removed the bulbs, disassembled the bulb so that I just had the 3 pronged metal ring with a hole in it. Enlarged the hole so the HID bulb would fit into it, then used the metal clip to hold the bulb in place in the projector housing. Wired the ballasts into the low beam supply and strapped everything down under the popup housing.

The HID's can be found pretty cheap at a junkyard. They came from an 03 maxima I think.

Last edited:

bhgmaster

Mar 17, 2006
so cal
those ebay projectors dont match up to oem projectors like the acura TL projectors or things of that sort... they just look like projectors... your best bet is to get a set of housings for those HID's... i myself bought a set of Hella e-code housings for an H4 bulb and they spread the light out REALLY nice... the light has a really nice cut out to it... i believe someone on here did a write up about the hella ecodes... look it up... good luck bro