Max!!! Safe boost on stock twins in ok shape?

1jjosef

Nov 17, 2008
charlotte
Got a 92 5sp 1JZ stock motor 3in catless exhaust walbro 255 fuel pump 4744-ngk plugs cold air intake 1pc driveshaft-------------am going to be using a mbc hallman pro rx boost controller

Last edited by a moderator:

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
On stock twins there really is no safe boost. The twins will eventually fail and running a higher then stock boost will only shorten there short life span.

Make sure you watch to see if your car ever starts to smoke at idle once it gets too operating temperature. This is an indication that the oil seal('s) have worn out and are leaking oil into the hot side of the turbo.

I personally am running a 1jz with stock twins and wont be pushing the turbo past there stock boost pressure of about 10-12 psi.

TripleC

Dec 2, 2009
FO CO
I run my 1J at 19 PSI i harldy hit it but when i want it Its there. Stock ECU with PLX300 AFC. i hit the fuel cut with my 370's if i have it in 4th at 45 and punch it. other then that it usually dosnt hit the fuel cut. I will be adding my 440's this week so i will see if the same thing happens with bigger injectors.(i dont think it will).
I have 2 more backup c12a's so i am not really concerned with the turbos currently on my car going out on me. If i were you i would stay around the 14psi mark if you want to keep the stock twins and not kill them so quickly.

TripleC

Dec 2, 2009
FO CO
I have herd that you can go as high as 16 and have some life span other then a couple 1000 Miles . I will let you know what happens to mine at the current 19PSI.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
With the right tune & keeping EGTs down
You can boost to the max effeciency of your twins.

Since fuel cut is at 1bar on the factory MAP Sensor & on the Factory ECU fuel map.
I sugguest only 1Bar of boost as limit because its hard to get good tune when modifing fuel and MAP sensor readings to get the tune managable by the factory ECU again.
I heard factory twins also loose a lot of effeciency above 1bar also.