Master key

wooooosh

Apr 8, 2006
Inverness,FL
When I bought my MKIII it only came with a one sided valet key and a two sided valet key. I've been to two different Toyota dealers with the VIN # and both dealers said toyota no longer carries that key code. Is this true? The valet keys are a pain because I can only use them in the drivers door and ignition. I can only open the trunk with the pop button and I can't open my glove box. Is there a way to open up the glove box with out a key?
Thanks.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the key code is on the passenger side door tumbler, if i remember correctly. :) try looking at that and giving it to them. though, it wouldn't surprise me if they no longer carry the key code.

you could probably get a good locksmith to cut you some keys. key word here (no pun intended :p) is GOOD locksmith. :)

-shaeff

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I went to Toyota and they didn't even look at the key. They just took my valet key, and made a key that would work in my doors,ignition,trunk, and glovebox. The only difference I noticed was the valet key has two small notches out of the very tip where the main key does not.

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
I had some trouble getting a key for my car. What I did was went to a good locksmith, and he was able to make the key by using the code on my door. It took about ten minutes and only cost about 5 bucks for 3 keys.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
^^^ What he said.... I got a trunk popper installed with my alarm ;)

Another option is you could always get a complete set of locks and keys for the car, I'm considering doing that myself one day because my ignition is different then my doors and trunk.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Or just take the ignition one to a locksmith to get it rekeyed.

As far as the master key/valet key. Just go to a locksmith and tell them you'd like a master key, they should be able to decode your key code from your existing key without you needing to take the door apart, and they'll be able to cut a new master key from that.