master cylinder

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
hey guys i just finished an auto to r154 swap. when i put in my new master cylinder, the clutch almost fully disengages but not quite. Causing hard shifts/grinds in 1 and reverse. WELL as i gots ta lookin I noticed i had been given the master cylinder for the w58 instead of the r154 ( which i had ordered, bastards). Is there a difference between the two internally? I was thinkin that maybe one pumped more fluid than the other. :1zhelp:

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Im pretty sure the clutch master cly for the w58 and r154 are the same, the slaves are different tho.

Yours might need adjustment.

CL_003.gif

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
i have already fully adjusted it to the max. im curious to know if i have put my clutch disc in backwards. I have a little play in the clutch release fork. is that a sign that something is up or is it a usual sort of thing? thanks for the reply

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
play how? that could be your cause. did you get the pin in the fork right?

edit: you also should have about a 1in of free play in the pedal.

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
if i take the slave cylinder out i can physically move the fork back and forth about an inch or so . i extended the slave cylinder push rod and i can disengage the clutch. but not fully. :: angry :: oh and i never took the fork out of the trans or the pressure plate when i got the tranny. so it is as it came. Im just gonna order a full clutch kit. The pp wasnt in bad shape so i decided to just order a clutch disk and put it in. But its turning into a headache. If i put the disk in backwards what would that cause to happen?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
it wont disengage. the the disc would be running against the flywheel bolts. anytime you put a clutch in turn it on the flywheel. it needs to spin freely and not rub on the flywheel bolts.