Massive amounts of coolant in oil. No BHG. HELP

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
Ok, I recently (and i mean the motor has not even been started or broken in due to a spark issue) built my 7MGTE motor and put it in a 1990 Pickup

Build Specs:
-Titan 1.2mm MHG
-ARP Studs
-ARP mains
-JE pistons
-PNP Head with ZooLoo mod

Stock turbo

I went to put a magnetic drain plug in the truck tonight and as I removed the stock plug out came copius amounts of coolant. Like, no oil came out, (I assume because it has not been turned over in 2 weeks the oil is sitting on top of the coolant)

The only things I can think of are
-Bad turbo or turbo seals
OR
-The Zooloo head mod I did
For those of you who dont know what the zooloo mod is, it is this.
http://mk3ukr-supra.net/Cylinder%20head%2004a.jpg

Please help, I am SOOOOOO stumped

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Link doesn't work.

Did you machine the rear timing cover with the block?

Any rivets on the hg that were touching the sealing surface?

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
Yeah I had the rear timing cover machined (the part that the water pump attaches to)

I didnt check for rivets on the HG.

What would be the solution to the rivet issue?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Only way I can imagine that much coolant being in the oil before ever even having started the engine is if someone completely forgot to install the front freeze plug, which would allow coolant to drain strait into the crankcase
P7030012.jpg

Did you have a gaping hole where the brass plug is in this pic?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
p1900563_1.jpg

Take a look at the rivet at the lower right hand side in this pic. It sits on the lower timing cover just a bit. In this case though it's far enough out and does not hit on the actual head, so I left the rivet in place. What I understand as the actual problem riven is that there are some gaskets where there was a riven opposite it, which sat on the timing cover where it would be between the timing cover and the head. This of course caused big issues.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nah, it's that rivet you pointed out. There should be room, but if the head and block are decked, there might not be enough room, so it's safer just to remove it.

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
Thank you everyone for your prompt response!

CyFi6;1900561 said:
Only way I can imagine that much coolant being in the oil before ever even having started the engine is if someone completely forgot to install the front freeze plug, which would allow coolant to drain strait into the crankcase
View attachment 63542

Did you have a gaping hole where the brass plug is in this pic?

Well I am pretty sure I put that freeze plug in but I will have to check. the engine has been sitting for about about two weeks so I think the oil is all floating on top of the coolant.

Dan_Gyoba;1900563 said:
p1900623_1.jpg

Take a look at the rivet at the lower right hand side in this pic. It sits on the lower timing cover just a bit. In this case though it's far enough out and does not hit on the actual head, so I left the rivet in place. What I understand as the actual problem riven is that there are some gaskets where there was a riven opposite it, which sat on the timing cover where it would be between the timing cover and the head. This of course caused big issues.

Poodles;1900568 said:
Nah, it's that rivet you pointed out. There should be room, but if the head and block are decked, there might not be enough room, so it's safer just to remove it.

So if I pop my head off, I should just drill that front rivet out?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, if you pop your head off, you should drill ALL the rivets out to clean your MLS head gasket if you plan to re-use it. Or, drill that rivet out on a new one.

I checked mine for clearance, and I'm okay.

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
Ok so i will take the head off and remove the rivets and re-install it. Could the turbo possibly be the source of the cross contamination?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well anything that has both oil and coolant seals could be the problem. The turbo could be the problem too.

When you pull the head, check those passages that you drilled. I would suspect those more than the rivet on the head gasket myself.