Massachusetts Drivers are Crazy?

TomFraser

In one of my classes the teacher brought up the fact that Massachusetts drivers are crazy compared to the rest of the country.

Other kids from out of state agreed.

One person brought up the fact that in rotaries in the south people tend to alternate, yielding to let cars in. In Massachusetts a rotary is a circle of cars going fast where no one yields and getting in requires timing and a decent acceleration. They called them "Death Rotaries" and avoid them.

The other point brought up was that Massachusetts drivers are proud of being Massachusetts drivers, further worsening the situation.

I enjoyed listening to different stereotypes of different states from everyone, and wonder what people here think.

I'm from Massachusetts, and find nothing wrong with they way anyone drivers here, but this is the only place I've ever driven.

I find that Rhode Islanders are morons (the few times i've driven through it I've been almost run off a highway each time by someone merging into a left lane without looking). In Massachusetts this has never happened. People in MA know you are on the left and will leave you at least an inch or two ;)

I had a great experience in Connecticut. I was coming off a side road and needed to make a left through two lanes of traffic going right, with no lights (terrible road setup, but anyways...) TWO cars yielded for me to go, I was SHOCKED, I was all set to take a right and then turn around when possible, this would not have happened in Massachusetts.

So what experience have you had in Massachusetts, or any other state? Examples? Near death experiences?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They're not called "mass asses" or "massholes" for nothin...

But, as people move around quite a bit, bad drivers are everywhere...

MrClean

Jul 10, 2008
Chicagoland
I agreed that bad drivers are everywhere. It depends what type of bad driver you encounter though when going through other states. When passing through wisconsin you could be doing 160 on I94 and a wisconsin driver will decide to pass someone in the right lane and move into the left lane just as you yourself are about to pass them.

Ohio, everyone drives extremely slow and seems to have no idea where they are going.

Minneapolis is similar to Chicago. Lots of people on the road. They all want to get to where they are going adn they want to get there fast....but one little old lady has to get in the far left lane (dubbed the fast lane) and do the speed limit. In Chicago, when merging, NO ONE lets you in. You pretty much have to fight your way into a lane. Sometimes literally.

New York....fucking nuts. End of story.

LA....hell hole from Satan's Anus. End of story.

Iowa and Idaho and Nebraska....most boring drives ever and hardly any people on the road.

Florida....the cubans be crazy. Pulling U-turns in the middle of the road. Not even going up to a stoplight to make the U-turn.

Thats the best I can think of at the moment.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
mattman;1487442 said:
so im told 97% of all people who hit black ice yell " OH F*$%!!!!" the other 3% are from Michigan.

:biglaugh:

Im from florida we get a taste of all you assholes every winter :3d_frown:............:icon_bigg

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I do have to say out of the southeast states I've visited and drove in, TN has still the best roads and drivers.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I don't think it's that bad, but i'm probably one of those Massholes.
I actually quite enjoy driving into Boston. If you don't know how to merge and act quickly, stay out! It's the people that yield excessively and wait for someone to let them go that makes driving through Boston suck.

Wh1t3T1g3r

The Dreamer
Feb 11, 2008
New Hampshire
I drive in mass for work every day, the drivers are pretty bad, but I have to agree, NYC is by far the worst. I went there once with a few friends and we were driving on the far most left lane in the middle of the city and a taxi cab passed us on by driving on the sidewalk! Crazy stuff.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
So Cal drivers are not bad drivers, just impatient and they hate to wait that half second for you to shift into 1st and start taking off, so they must lay the horn on as soon as the light turns green...

they always seem to be in a rush and will tailgate the shit out of you, even if you're both coasting to a redlight; makes no sense to me......

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I'm from Massachusetts. The drivers here in Florida are far worse. It's because they're transplanted from everywhere else, and/or are too fucking old to be driving.

Washington was decent IMO, except for some horrible traffic jams in Tacoma and Seattle.

In Texas, no one changing lanes use their fucking turn signal.

In SoCal, everyone does 90mph.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Tanya;1488039 said:
I'm from Massachusetts. The drivers here in Florida are far worse. It's because they're transplanted from everywhere else, and/or are too fucking old to be driving.

Washington was decent IMO, except for some horrible traffic jams in Tacoma and Seattle.

In Texas, no one changing lanes use their fucking turn signal.

In SoCal, everyone does 90mph.

/Thread.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
Have you been in BC yet?

As someone who learned driving in Germany... driving in North America is... well... interesting. No matter where you go, really.

Turn signals? What's that?
Slow lane? Everywhere.
Fast lane? Everywhere.
Merging? I was here first, so go @#$% yourself.
Speed limit? Well, if the sign says 50, let's go 40, heck even 30, just to be sure.

Personally it drives me insane. How do people get their licenses in the first place? I wish for the Autobahn and proper education on a daily basis... maybe one day. :nono:

88guy

use to go 280KMH :(
Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
I like driving in the states :D You guys all move along with a sence of ergency! Compaired to the DOMINATE senior citizen population of my little city. And the CRAZY asian's in vancouver lol