Mass Air Flow Sensor?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You don't have a MAF to delete.

You *do* have an AFM, or Air Flow Meter, which is not the same thing. It is possible to replace it with some other air measuring system, however, it is not cheap. You'll need something like a MAFT Translator, which allows you to run a MAF instead of an AFM. Or move to a MAFT Pro, and you can run MAP instead of the AFM.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
JohnFurness;1670298 said:
well the problem is, is that its ugly and takes up space.

Um... what? Seriously going to say that? I sure hope you're trolling...

TurboSupra7;1670299 said:
MAF and AFM are the same thing

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

No, they're not. Not even close.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
TurboSupra7;1670299 said:
MAF and AFM are the same thing

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Incorrect...

MAF Mass Air Flow - converts the amount of air flow (often with a mechanical flap of sorts) to a voltage signal to an ECU
AFM - Air Flow Meter (laymens terms)uses a vortex design that causes a little mirror to flutter, uses a LED of sorts and receptor... long story short converts that to a Karman signal read in both a peak to peak duty cycle and/or hertz... even better with an Oscope...

Forgive me for not using proper scientific terms, just trying to state in a reader's digest version, but I can direct you to a several page article that explains it in detail...but never-the-less they are different both in design and the type of signal that they produce.

Poodles beat me to it...

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
sounds like you should probly just leave it alone for now...maybe do some research (not sying that to be mean)....i agree though that it is ugly as hell but disagree that the engine is ugly...i just wish it wasnt to cluttered and messy...seems the cheapest route is the hks vpc although they are hard to come by...best of luck in your adventure though....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
hvyman;1670312 said:
Its not that big either.

And why would drilling a hole help?

I'm assuming he wants to drill a hole in his piping and stuff the sensor in there. Definately won't work regardless.

jrot;1670322 said:
sounds like you should probly just leave it alone for now...maybe do some research (not sying that to be mean)....i agree though that it is ugly as hell but disagree that the engine is ugly...i just wish it wasnt to cluttered and messy...seems the cheapest route is the hks vpc although they are hard to come by...best of luck in your adventure though....

I don't know why people see these engine as cluttered. Modern engines put covers over the engine to cover the clutter and older electronicly controlled carb'ed vehicles were rats nests of vacuum lines. The 7M was actually designed to look nice (look at the timing covers with the vacuum line that runs across is following the same line, valve covers, 3000 pipe...)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Just drill a hole in your piping and call it a day...

sarcasm-meter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
Drill a hole in your piping. I'll be the guy in your thread two days from now laughing at you because your shit won't run properly for the sake of space. Lol at ricers and their form over function attitude. Maft -trans is like $250. Either modify it properly, or leave it alone.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
Get a Maft pro

contact drjonez on supraforums. a whole speed density setup without boost control is just over 500. not 700

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Mass air flow = instrument that measure mass/time (kg/s) through the sensor. Hot wire is the most common practical way of doing this. This is what you want to know in order to compute the engines volumetric efficiency and thus how much fuel to inject.

An air flow meter measures air velocity in a pipe of known size (m/s). In order to convert that to mass air flow, the density of the the material flowing in the pipe is needed which requires knowledge of temperature and absolute pressure and the material being measured (air in this case). The HAC and IAT sensors on the 7M supply these two missing pieces of data, and the ECU computes the mass air flow. Humidity can also be a factor but is ignored here.

A true hot-wire MAF is a superior solution and is used all over the place for process control in industrial systems. In the mid-80s when the MK3 was in development hot-wire MAFs were too expensive to be used in a commercial automobile application. Gm first used them in the late 80's early 90's.

Last edited:

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
is the IAT sensor integrated in the AFM? or is it located else where? also what is the little sensor that sits just behind the lower grille area? is that one of the sensors we are referencing here?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
gottadiesel;1670307 said:
Incorrect...

MAF Mass Air Flow - converts the amount of air flow (often with a mechanical flap of sorts) to a voltage signal to an ECU

No mechanical flap. That is called in the automotive world "Vane airflow meter". It still measures volume, and mass is calculated.

AFM - Air Flow Meter (laymens terms)uses a vortex design that causes a little mirror to flutter, uses a LED of sorts and receptor... long story short converts that to a Karman signal read in both a peak to peak duty cycle and/or hertz... even better with an Oscope...

Translated = The Karman vortex meter generates a frequency based signal by the "mirror" fluttering in the air stream and reflecting from the LED to a photocoupler. The faster it flutters, the higher the frequency. And this is more accurate than a vane airflow meter.

Forgive me for not using proper scientific terms

No forgiveness needed. Keep studying.

3p141592654;1671786 said:
Mass air flow = instrument that measure mass/time (kg/s) through the sensor. Hot wire is the most common practical way of doing this. This is what you want to know in order to compute the engines volumetric efficiency and thus how much fuel to inject.

An air flow meter measures air velocity in a pipe of known size (m/s). In order to convert that to mass air flow, the density of the the material flowing in the pipe is needed which requires knowledge of temperature and absolute pressure and the material being measured (air in this case). The HAC and IAT sensors on the 7M supply these two missing pieces of data, and the ECU computes the mass air flow. Humidity can also be a factor but is ignored here.

A true hot-wire MAF is a superior solution and is used all over the place for process control in industrial systems. In the mid-80s when the MK3 was in development hot-wire MAFs were too expensive to be used in a commercial automobile application. Gm first used them in the late 80's early 90's.

This. ^

Mass air > speed density

Speed desnsity is useful in something like the MAFT-pro because it is tunable and removes the restriction of the air flow metering device in high horsepower applications.