mark 2 supra with 7mgte swap

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
so the history with the car first,

7M-GTE swapped into a mark 2, the following were done prior to me buying the car.

- EGR removed
- VSV removed
- BOV vented to atmosphere
- Ebay intercooler
- 3" exhaust
- Charcoal canister removed and vsv swapped for a temp sensor that goes to a gauge on the a pillar, not sure if its connected to the ECU, doubt it.
- PCV routed to catch can but not back to accordian pipe and not connected to throttle body
- Oil cooler removed/never installed, lines just clamped and folded over.
- ISC has a outlet on it that is just clamped and folded down, I think that this is supposed to be a coolant line, what would this do to the ecu/where should it be hooked up to, I'll do a search on this.
- fan shroud never installed

everything else was "stock"

Following are the things that I have added or "fixed"

- PCV re-routed from throttle body across valve covers and to catch can and then back to the accordian hose.
- HKS SSQV with recirc kit installed to accordian hose.
- t bolt clamped intercooler piping, sealed up tight.
- new NGK plugs and wires
- all bare wires (lots of them) taped up.
- rewired Check Engine Light but it will not come on, yes its a new bulb
- AFC Neo installed.
- AEM wideband installed.
- Greddy Profec B elctronic boost controller installed.
- re-routed all vacuum lines per tsrm as best as I could since a lot of stuff is missing, egr vsv etc.
- New intake manifold gaskets (old was liquid gasket)
- Ebay FPR regulator installed set to 35 psi
- TPS set to TSRM specs
- boost leak tested and sealed up

Current driving condition of the car

- I warm it up to 190f and it stays put at 190f
- drive around and it pulls good at 15-25% throttle then boost kicks in and instant fuel cut
- AFR ratio is adjusted to below 12 with neo and wideband
- rpm I can get up to 4500 depending on gearing and how easy I let up to that rpm range, boost is hitting and then fuel cut, its smooth all the way up the rpm with afr below 12
- oil pressure at idle is almost at 0kpa and durring driving is between 25-50 kpa
- tried the quick 12v mod jumping and it did not change anything.
- If I push the throttle instantly past 25-20% the engine just dies, then comes back in, dies comes back in, jerky fashion.
- I have tried to jump the diagnostics box and I don't get a reading, tried to count pulses but I don't get any with the ignition turned on, or the car running.

Thats where I'm currently at and I'm looking for some advice, thanks.

Link to my build thread here

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89278

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Any idea what size injectors it's running? Is the AFM that's on the car one from a Supra, or a Lexus?

AFR adjusted to below 12... what did this entail? Adding or pulling fuel? How much?

Using the stock 7M ECU?

The coolant lines on the intake side shouldn't matter. There is a coolant line that goes through the throttle body and the ISC, daisy chain like. It's not connected to the ECU, and should start / run just fine without them hooked up in our weather, anyway.

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
GrimJack;1272976 said:
Any idea what size injectors it's running? Is the AFM that's on the car one from a Supra, or a Lexus?

AFR adjusted to below 12... what did this entail? Adding or pulling fuel? How much?

Using the stock 7M ECU?

The coolant lines on the intake side shouldn't matter. There is a coolant line that goes through the throttle body and the ISC, daisy chain like. It's not connected to the ECU, and should start / run just fine without them hooked up in our weather, anyway.

I just pushed up the fuel map in the neo to +25 correction, at idle 600 rpm the afr sits at 14.5

yes stock ECU

GrimJack;1272979 said:
Hmm... you mention VSV removed. Which one? Not that it should really matter for this, but I'm curious.

both vsv's are removed as far as I can tell

also when I took apart the throttle body and intake manifold there was no coolant in anything, is that normal because the TSRM says to drain the coolant out of both.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ok, think about this for a minute. You've added 25% fuel - how does the SAFC do this? By scaling the AFM input to the ECU, that's how. So, the ECU thinks it's getting 25% more air than it really is... which drops your fuel cut level way below the stock level.

Try zeroing the SAFC and turning up the FPR instead. Hell, lots of people turn the FPR up above the zero point, then use the SAFC to remove fuel instead, which *increases* where they see fuel cut.

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
GrimJack;1273011 said:
Ok, think about this for a minute. You've added 25% fuel - how does the SAFC do this? By scaling the AFM input to the ECU, that's how. So, the ECU thinks it's getting 25% more air than it really is... which drops your fuel cut level way below the stock level.

Try zeroing the SAFC and turning up the FPR instead. Hell, lots of people turn the FPR up above the zero point, then use the SAFC to remove fuel instead, which *increases* where they see fuel cut.

I have thought about that.....well mildly, but I was hoping (probably without thinking about it too much....obviously) that it would fix the lean condition I was in, which it did, when I zero the safc the afr ratio gets up to 16+ and then same result, fuel cut, in the end ......in regards to the fuel cut it made no difference, which really shocked me, the engine was just not running lean any more.....maybe one thing to note, when I took off the intake plenum the intake manifold on 2,3 and 5 were blacked up and dirty on the bottoms and then 1,4 and 6 were clean.

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
the neo counts frequency and reports it in the sensors section....I can check the reading tonight when it cuts out if thats what your getting at.....I have a multi meter, not sure If I can read frequency with that...doubting it.

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
so just a random thought popped into my head....I think the gasket that is on my throttle body is from a 7MGE, the one for the turbo looks to have a lot smaller opening, do I need to cut the whole to fit the throttle body opening or is it supposed to be a smaller opening ?

the one that is currently installed

http://info.rockauto.com/Fel-Pro/Detail.html?60682_TOP.jpg

The one I think I should have on

http://info.rockauto.com/Fel-Pro/Detail.html?60683_TOP.jpg

just to clarify the PO put that gasket on

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
in second gear I hit fuel cut at around 4250 rpm with a AFR of 13 and the turbo just spooling up under a light load throttle, 18%....the Karmen signal was rite at 500 hz.

In third gear I hit fuel cut at 3250 rpm with a AFR of 13.2 and the Karmen signal rite at 500 HZ and again a light load throttle of about 18% turbo just spooling up to about 1 psi of boost.

If the iscv and pcv can't close becuase the gasket is wrong couldn't that cause a bunch of problems ?

nikwal

[Shitx0rZ DeluX]
Jan 20, 2009
Västerås
Crazy_Tycoon;1273477 said:
in second gear I hit fuel cut at around 4250 rpm with a AFR of 13 and the turbo just spooling up under a light load throttle, 18%....the Karmen signal was rite at 500 hz.

In third gear I hit fuel cut at 3250 rpm with a AFR of 13.2 and the Karman signal right at 500 HZ and again a light load throttle of about 18% turbo just spooling up to about 1 psi of boost.

If the iscv and pcv can't close becuase the gasket is wrong couldn't that cause a bunch of problems ?

Did you say that you couldnt se any diagnostic lamp blink? It sould blink.. try measuring it directly at the ecu then.. just hook up a small lamp there or something. I'm thinking fuel cut might be lower due to a fault condition..
Also, it cant be wrong to keep an eye on Vf signal, just to se that it's kind of satisfied. Also, another thing, has'nt there been a problem with safc neo's, but anyway, I think it should work better than that but you might want to just check so you've go the right fw.
[I'm hoping to get my mk2, 7mgte,big ct26 out this summer, at least for a couple of test drives, I did drive it last summer but without the turbo and without my home made safc{home coded too}] :p

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
nikwal;1273566 said:
Did you say that you couldnt se any diagnostic lamp blink? It sould blink.. try measuring it directly at the ecu then.. just hook up a small lamp there or something. I'm thinking fuel cut might be lower due to a fault condition..

celrewire.jpg

SO THIS IS NOW MY PLAN FOR A CEL LIGHT....

THE SECOND WIRE IN THE tsrm SAYS TO COME FROM GAUGE FUSE 2-5 ON THE MARK 3, BUT I'm not sure what to wire that up with on the Mark 2 or if I can just wire it up at the ecu some how, or do I need to run a wire to a power source that is tied into the ignition like the cigarette lighter ?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Crazy_Tycoon;1273477 said:

In third gear I hit fuel cut at 3250 rpm with a AFR of 13.2 and the Karmen signal rite at 500 HZ and again a light load throttle of about 18% turbo just spooling up to about 1 psi of boost.

Ya, that's WAY to low of a frequency, there has to be something else going on there.

The ISC and PCV shouldn't matter, they both pull air that is already measured - from a location after the AFM.

I'm starting to wonder if you might have a defective ECU. Would certainly explain the lack of a CEL.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
What year TCCS are you using? And to check the CEL with out a light just check the "W" at the ECU. I have had to do this before also. Just count the spikes in the meter. If your TCCS is 89+ this pin out will work for you. If 87-88 you will have to search it your self to find the pin out

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
GrimJack;1273753 said:
Ya, that's WAY to low of a frequency, there has to be something else going on there.

I'm starting to wonder if you might have a defective ECU. Would certainly explain the lack of a CEL.

maybe a reason to go standalone...:evil2:

92nsx;1273766 said:
What year TCCS are you using? And to check the CEL with out a light just check the "W" at the ECU.

I have a 88 ECU, it has the 24 18 10 pin layout with yellow inlets.

I've tried to count pulses but it did not work with the multimeter I have...that is why I am trying to rewire a CEL in.

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
no luck on the rewire, no CEL so I'm looking for a used Jap ecu now so I don't have to deal with the EGR.

Now with the most awesome answer to what I think is a lot of my problems.....when the PO took out the egr he just filled the inlets with caulking and they are leaking like cives....I thought I had fixed all my boost leaks but then I found these last night after I removed all the intake manifild, fuel rail injectors etc....I'll post a pic tonight, its brilliant.

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
so here is what I thought was the problem

20090319egrblockoffremo.jpg

Did a boost leak test last night and car holds boost well, except I can hear a slight gurge in the crank case becasue the dip stick will not totally seal.

20090319egrblockoffremo.jpg

Replaced all the injector seals.

went out for a drive and no change, 500 hz, fuel cut

20090320egrblockoffremo.jpg

I eased it up to boost and can feel some extra kick comming in, but then the AFR's are going up to 15, probably because I don't have a EGR and I'm under 4000 rpm

I guess its time for a new used ecu and a rewire.:nono: