MapECU not reading rpm, vf sig, and dies when given gas.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Hey guys. its pretty much what the tittle says. i have a 87 turbo with a build topend, .40 over pistons, a good size 62-1 turbo and some 550's..
The problem i am having is that when the car starts, it will idle good, but i cant rev it up. it just immediately dies. Kinda like when the MAF isn't hooked up which leads me to believe that the MAPECU isn't getting the correct VF signal.
(i do have the vacuum line off the idle control valve disconnected. dont think that would be entirely my problem)
Another issue i am having is that i guess the MAPECU isnt getting my RPM signal It doesnt show it in realtime on the tuning software. I have the rpm signal wire hooked up to the green/green rpm signal wire on the ecu, and i dont understand it.
SO yeah, there us my dilemma that is keeping me from starting to actually break in the build.
so if someone could shed some light. let me know what going down. oh, if anyone has a tune for a similar build as i do, if you could send it to me, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Wiring is your problem sir :) DO you have the wiring diagram for your car? Do you have the vacuum line on the mapecu installed because that could be an issue also, very rich conditions... Which MAP do you have, 1 or 2?

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
whats wrong with my wiring? i checked my wiring at least 3 times with the pdf that came with the mapecu. btw, i am i am running mapecu 1.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Are you sure when you are reading the diagram the picture you see if the "back" of the plug terminals? I ran into this problem before. Now for some test, is the map lights powered on? No flashing? Worst case scenario is the ecu is bad (I would think so if you bought it used) but more then likely not. I am runnning the ecu 2 and I know mine is a bit complicated due to the timing system. When I fired mine up it did run shitty, but with another map file I was fine. Can you post a picture of the your plugs with the wires how it's kinda layed out in the PDF form Mapecu? I think you might have a wire wrong for the VF

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
and i can take a pic in the morning. I had the toyota wiring scematic with me to make sure that the wiring was correct. because i had heard about people possibly wiring it in wrong.
as for the lights. just the red light is on.
would you happen to have a map that would suit what i need to i can try loading that up?
btw, appreciate the help buddy

cyberdx16

Sep 15, 2009
Madison
you should definitely have your ICV hooked up! Check wiring, read the map cal manual and make sure you're actually connected to your ecu

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Well i changed the tune to the one on the map ecu website for the ma70 with 550's and a larger turbo. and no change at all.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
UPDATE: finally got it to pull codes. its codes 24 and 31. both related to mass air flow. triple checked all over again. i'm thinking the mapecu might be defective.Is there anyway how to check if it is and possibly be a way around this?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I'm having the same problem too. Does not display RPM. Did you ever find a fix for yours? I'm searched their forums for an "updated" wiring diagram. They don't have one. They just refer you to their website and get one from their support tab. I too have double and triple check my wiring and it is hooked up correctly. I rewired my knock sensors and now my codes are clear. No CEL codes as of now. I have the white wire hooked up to IGT. That's the RPM signal to the ignitor. IGF is the RPM signal from the ignitor back to the OEM ECU. MAP ECU Man has told me you can use either to get an RPM signal, but IGT should definately work. I'm not getting an RPM signal, or ignitor CEL so I don't see why my MAP ECU doesn't recognize the RPM's.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
I tried to have my map ecu tuned for the first time today. It kept dying. The tuner said it felt like the car was in limp mode, and was pretty sure the car's ecu was ignoring/fighting his settings...it would run under the tuned conditions and then spike to lean and the car would buck etc etc. He said that he has a long history of working with the map ecu and that it is the worst system he has ever used. Even when workign correctly, he said they are not even close to as reliable as most other systems on the market. I wish I had done a little more research on mine before I picked it up (used for $200 doesn't seem like such a great deal anymore...)

I'm going vpc and safc2 at this point and scrapping the map ecu altogether.