map for MS3 on 1jz-gte

golddig

Nov 6, 2014
chelsea Qc.
Hi Guys..

I ordered an MS3 and Matt at DIY auto tells me they dont have any basic tunning refrences for a 1jz-gte as they have never tunned one. I was asking for maps that i could use as a base programing to get started when i install the MS3.

I have done a lot of reading as i have all the manuals for the MS3 and im pretty shure i can do a basic street tune but if i had some visual refrences it would help.

So if anyone has an MS3 or MS2 on a 1jz-gte and would be willing to share some info i would really apreciate. I have not received it yet but Matt sent me all the manuals by Email.

Thanks

golddig

Nov 6, 2014
chelsea Qc.
Thanks for the reply..

Im sorry what do you mean by what the engine wired for.

I know most of you paid good money for tunning and im not asking anything for free the problem is where i live their are 2 tunning shops and they dont want to work with MS3, that being said whoever would be willing to help or supply what i need to tune my car i am willing to pay for it, eigther basic map of full mapping.

If anyone knows a good tunning shop in the Ottawa region please tell me because what ive seen so far in the region is not worth crap.

I have a 1jz-gte that is stock all the way.

thanks

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
doesnt matter about the tune. If someone sends you a tune file and your car is wired differently then its not going to work.

How are you going to wire the ms3 to engine?

golddig

Nov 6, 2014
chelsea Qc.
Thanks hvyman.

Well for shure i want to go fuel and ignition as i whant to get a little more out of the ct12a's and get around that nasty 14 psi stock cut off. Im still reading on all my options and basicaly what i need to know is whats the best configuration i should use for the 1jz.
I will not go over 18psi, the manuals give some insights on how to go but is sequencial on the injectors ok for 1jz they seem to recommend it for most. I want to keep her stock as much as i can whitout hadding to much stuff...what can i do whit what i have..can i get to 18 psi with all the stock sensors i have onboard. here is the quote Matt sent me

$659.00 MS3X357-C_BL: Assembled Megasquirt-III V3.57 with MS3X
$88.00 JimStim-C: Assembled JimStim diagnostic board
$9.50 StimPower: Power supply for JimStim
$79.00 MSHarness: 10' main board wiring harness
$79.00 MS3X-Hrn: 10' MS3X wiring harness
$22.25 IATwPiggy: Intake Air Temperature Sensor
$9.00 38NPT-Bung_A: Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
$6.95 MS3TuneCable: USB communications cable for MS3
$952.70 Subtotal without wideband

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
The stock twins will have a very short lifespan at 18 psi. Either upgrade them to steel wheels or go single.
Standalones are used to go above stock limitations as in boost, injector sizing etc. With stock twins there is no reason to as the stock ecu works fine. You can use a boost controller to raise boost but again the ct12a's are limited.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
From a fellow MS3 owner:
You should start from scratch

No setup is the same, and a base tune is quite worthless when the setup is not the same.

What do you do?
Search the msextra forum for MSQ's for 1JZ, I know there are at least 3 out there.
Compare their setup with yours and build your custom base map from that.
You might use one guys fuel-map, but another guys ignition map......and the settings for the coils etc are CUSTOM....

Tip: The stock Toyota coils and igniter is not easy to work with, as they are weak, old and the igniter limits dwell (coil charge time).
Smart coils are so mutch easier to work with.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can still make more power by ditching the stock ecu. imo a standalone is the all around best upgrade you can do.

I have a few 1jz maps and once you have know what its going to be wired for i can make a base map to get you started. Need to know sequential or batch. seq is better for both fuel and ignition. iac or not. size of injectors. front or rear cam sensor.
which iat, wide band, coolant temp, and such.

i agree about the coils as well. although you can run the stock ones with no issues if your going to be making a brand new harness your better off to just get some 1zzfe smart coils. they have built in igniters and are simple and reliable.

golddig

Nov 6, 2014
chelsea Qc.
Thats awsome guys thanks so much..

I was lurking in my engine bay yesterday (im getting more and more familliar with it ) and i noticed the front turbo waste gate was not hooked up to the turbo.., the vac. line from the actuator was plugged with a bolt.I never noticed this before yesterday and im trying to understand why someone would do that. I plugged it back on the turbo and went for a spin...My god its not the same car... the famous buckling at 65000 rpm aprox. i was descibing is not there anymore the car just wants to go and i did not reach fuel cut... i had to let go on the throtle at 180 klm hr.

I dont have my boost gauge yet so i dont know how high i can go on boost and i assumed i was reaching fuel cut when the car was buckling but its was not the case...it goes to say ....always check the little thing first.

Eighter the guy that did the swap did not know where that vac, line went or it was done on purpose for what ever reasons, i looked under the heat shield with a long neck mini cam and i see no tampering on the wastegates , both are where they should be, both linckage on the valves work great when you step on the throtle, i just dont get it...but mistery buckling solved..life is great..lol

Thanks to you guys and all those posts reading lead me to investigate..thats what learning is all about...thanks everyone

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya but not hooking that up the turbo doesnt stop spinnig so as soon as you hit 14 psi you hit fuel cut. should have happened before 6500 tho.

golddig

Nov 6, 2014
chelsea Qc.
Sorry i reposted my thread i thought i had lost it..

I agree with you 100 % but the car should not have buckled like it did at 120 klm hr in fourth or fifth gear everytime between 4500 and 6500 rpm, if a wastegate dosen,t open when it should would this not cause what i was experiencing, ever since i plugged the line back the car is absolutely crazy.

Witch is why i thought i was reaching the 14 psi limit but i was not cause yesterday i ran 180 km hr. and it was just going.. i understand what you saying so what would be the cut off point in refrence to speed and rpm.... what speed and rpm should that car reach in fifth, full throtle before cut off im pretty shure its more than 180. im aware its proportional,you can reach fuel cut in 5 seconds if you push the throtle down even in second or third gear.its all about the 14 psi limit

Thanks and sorry again for the re-post

Last edited:

golddig

Nov 6, 2014
chelsea Qc.
Hey there...

just a small question !!! the MS3 is working with most of the grounds to activate almost everything.... could i built a 12v power distribution bar that would supply all the sensors who need it and injectors and stuff but the bar would be powered upon key turn only.

or

some 12v has to come from specific points, i think i saw somewhere that the injectors should be powered from fuel pump relay,does that matter or they just need 12v but not always on.

thanks

golddig

Nov 6, 2014
chelsea Qc.
Hi Guys..

I have a question..is it thrue that an fcd on a 1jz soaerer will illiminate completely the cut with no options for security setting....and also fi you install an fcd will the stock ecu know what to do over 14 psi....after the cut-off what happens lets say you go up to 16 psi will the ecu know the engine will need more fuel-air

thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It will remove fuel cut yes. but if you run lean there is nothing to stop you from melting a piston.

If you want more power your better off to just wait until you can do it properly.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
A FCD tricks with the MAP signal - Locking it at 14PSI.

You will have fuel&ignition timing for 14 psi even though you are running 16 or 30 psi boost.
In short, you are on your own above the fuel cut.

golddig

Nov 6, 2014
chelsea Qc.
Thanks Guys.

I have an MS3 on the way it was just a..... im curious question...

I bouth all my components to plug in the MS3 and i just cant stand the wait, unfortunately i wont be installing it in the car until spring but i shure will have fun with it in-house. Im getting more and more familliar with installation instruction and most of all im doing a lot of reading and simulations on the tunner studio building maps and learning the diferent tables and options i have...so when spring comes ill be ready.

I also have all the specks for my engine from top to bottom and ive identifyed all the sensors location, fuel pump relay, injector size and impedance.. i measured 13 ohms so there high...so im ready

Ill keep reading and hopefully ill have some good news by the time summer arives, i will also take pics of the project to keep you guys up to date

thanks again

golddig

Nov 6, 2014
chelsea Qc.
Hi again..

My 1jz soaerer has batched fire injection ( i think ) so do i stay on batched when programming the ms3..im really not shure about this one as there are so many options, batched,sequential,semi-sequencial.

if read this right i would hook up 6 grounds 1 on each injector acording to firring order from ms3 from bank 1 and power to the other side of injectors ...then what should i use as injection sequence when programming.

Thanks again

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Since your making a new harness run sequential. so 6 independent grounds going to ms3 in the firing order.