Map ecu 2

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Ok so I'm thinking really hard on going with the map ecu 2 for my serious tuning, but I'm a bit nervous, someone tell me is it worth it? My mods are the usual power adders with an sp58gt turbo, ive already got an safcII, and will be getting it tuned foe the time being, but I'm wanting opinions on it Vs emanage ultimate, or even aem fic, I just want the best suited item for my application. I want the most streetable power I can get, while still being drivable, I'm already floating around 400ish, and it's easy to drive so any opinions or thoughts will be appreciated

Also forgive my punctuation as I'm typing on my phone, thank you

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
I have a map-ecu on my 88 turbo and it worked pretty good for the most part. I just got it back from the dyno 5 days ago and it made 341hp at 14psi on a dyno dynamics with a 60-1. However, there are some added features on the map-ecu 2 like base timing display logging, as well as knock sensor input display and logging that do not come with the map-ecu. I would say ask yourself a few questions. First are you going to be doing the tuning on it or are you taking it to a shop. Second is there any shops in your area that have worked with the map-ecu 2 and tuned a mk3 supra. The problem that I ran into was finding a shop that knew how to use one. They are not that hard to use but you end up paying for time to have someone learn the software and how to use it. Also it is very hard to get a quick response on the the map-ecu forum because the guys are out of New Zealand. The norm seems to be maft pro or emanage. In my opinion for the money that you will spend on the map-ecu2 I would just wait and go with like AEM ems. People will say there is a time and place for a ems but just about every shop that has a dyno will know how to use a AEM ems. Plus if your anything like me I have had my car now for only 5 days and I already want more horsepower.

Last edited:

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Well that's just it the shop a few towns away knows supras and recommended the map ecu 2, an they said to save around a thousand to tune it, which sound here is pretty good, They said the emanage ultimate wasn't as good as the map ecu but its cheaper so I'm still undecided

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
You said earlier that you were running SAFCII correct. Is the reason that you want to switch piggy backs because you are changing or adding mods or for the fact that you can fine tune with the map-ecu2 much better. Is the car running good currently. If so why change to a different piggy back? Yes I understand the difference between the two (its night and day) but if your changing it to the map-ecu2 because of the tuning capabilities you will not be happy with the outcome of how much hp and tq that you would gain vs. the amount of money that you will be spending. What ever the reason with $1700 you could buy a AEM EMS with $500 dollars to spare and have complete control of the engine. Most people seem to start with a piggy back and work from there. Once there tired of that if they stick with it long enough and if funds are available they usually go with a EMS. I think in opinion you are wasting your money and not because its a bad product but just because of how much money that you would be spending.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
The basic tenability for starters. The timing tubability, no afm. Nitrous capability, built in sensors, compact, cheaper than others of the same caliber, and the dunk shop I'm using are masters of it, and they've done quite a few supras, has anyone on Here ever used zen motors?

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Well if your confident that they can tune your car with a map-ecu2 and your happy with the price that they gave you. Then go for it. I was just telling you the experience that I have had with it so far. In your first post you asked is it worth it and I say no. Not for $750 plus $1000 to tune. I do think that it provides more features then most piggy backs out there but its still just a piggy back. Which means your still relying on the ECU.

Also you said its cheaper then others of the same caliber. What piggy backs are you talking about that are more then $750?

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
I was under the impression that the emanate ultimate and aem fic were about the same or more but I see that I was looking at he older map ecu not ecu2, my bad guys

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
No problem. Also if you plan on taking your car to the dyno they will be able to adjust timing for you anyway. So if you want to save money and stay with a piggy back. I would go with a Maft Pro. A lot of people use them for the supra so you will be able to get any support that you may need on supramania. Plus you should be able to find one for $400. But if you want something that will offer more features and tunability and don't mind spending the extra buck. Go with a AEM EMS.