map ecu 2 or aem ems

thaiyota

Sep 14, 2006
supravile
i been thinking of aem ems but i notice map ecu 2 is good too.
will map ecu 2 monitor knock cause i don't see that listed on their site.
btw this is for a 89 turbo 5 spd.

thaiyota

Sep 14, 2006
supravile
i know aem is the way to go but just wasnt sure about knock on map ecu
im sure knock unit exit i look for one, i dont think i need standalone yet,

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
i have the original MAP ECU havnt looked back. i was looking into the aem when i was looking into fuel controls. its very expandable and for the money i love it. IMO its the next best thing to full standalone. and the map ecu 2 has more features such as boost control, timing, and my personal favorite 2 different settings great for fuel econmy and power just flip the setting.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I owned a AEM with the HKS DLI and planned on using it for my 2J swap. I since sold them and went with the MKIV ECU and MAP 2. Guys are putting down over 700 rwhp with it on DD supras. I will let you know how it goes. I hope to be running mid October.

Chris

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
csnow said:
I owned a AEM with the HKS DLI and planned on using it for my 2J swap. I since sold them and went with the MKIV ECU and MAP 2. Guys are putting down over 700 rwhp with it on DD supras. I will let you know how it goes. I hope to be running mid October.

Chris

again, the MKIV comparo isn't the best idea....

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
why isn't it??? MKIV motor, MKIV harness, and MKIV ECU. theonly way to get ANY closer to a MKIV then that is to......buy a MKIV

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
understand what i'm saying:

it is NOT a good idea to compare performance data collected from the 2JZ-GTE with desired performance from the 7M-GTE (or for that matter, the 1JZ-GTE).

this thread started with someone asking about the MAP ECU 2 on the 7M-GTE, not the 2JZ-GTE.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
I would say it really depends on you horsepower goals. In my opinion if you want to run a bigger injector than a 680 cc by modifying the stock ecu with a piggyback of any kind you should seriously consider stepping up to a standalone. I like my AEM EMS and have been very happy with the decision to go that way. They are coming along way with piggybacks now so I think the biggest factors are goals and tuning skills.

Sean

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Boosted Supra said:
We all know the AEM is totally on a different level compared to the MAP ECU 2. My question is, can I get a comparo on the MaftPro and the MAP ECU 2? What are the pro's and con's? Thanks

They make a PnP harness for the map-ecu2, but that raises the cost to just about $900. Map-ecu2 also comes with a 2 step built in along with a 3 bar map sensor. You will need a laptop with a serial port, the serial->usb adapter does NOT work.

Maft-pro is cheaper by a little bit and comes with a wideband if you get the package.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i have been contemplating in going with the pnp AEM EMS and selling the map ecu 2...im still not 100% sure tho, only because i never got to try out the map ecu 2 because of my car's issues.