Manual Steering.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
suprabad said:
Regarding looping the lines...Does it really add alot of feel to the steering? Is it a nightmare as far as around town driving? Ive got 245's all around...do I need arms like Hulk Hoagan to park? Is it possible to loop the lines without removing everything first to see if it's gonna work for me? Didn't mean to hijack the thread...just caught my interest. Thanks!

This is not hijacking! This is trying to get some answers I'd like to hear as well man :)

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Justin said:
This is not hijacking! This is trying to get some answers I'd like to hear as well man :)

Second this, I would like the answers to all the questions myself. Bit of a power steering newbie :\

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
disconnected PPS rack.
i like it. long drives can be a bit strenuous, typically on the upper back, shoulder area muscles.
at first my forearms were sore, but it makes them quite strong! it's funny, actually...
i was telling people this, and my x-gf asked me why my forearms were so sore, and i said "its from my car"
she wouldnt believe me, so i told her to drive. well, when it came time to turn, she almost crashed the f'n thing. was scared as shit... no disbelief after that... :p

when i do it again, i would like my p/s back.
i could even still parallel park fine, but to me, it's not worth the hassle.
i'd like to try the FC3S method, but i'm really not sure about welding the tie rods...
i think someone should send a set of welded inner tie rods to a machine shop and have them fab'd. i think that i would buy that... i'd feel much more comfortable with that than a weld, even if it was an outstanding weld... you dont get 100% penetration...

so, i may rebuild my current rack or just find a lower mileage pps rack. new(er) pump and some ss braided lines.

but, i'm sure this is all useless info to you guys, so i'll stop :D

ma7089

May 25, 2007
santa barbara, CA
i removed my p/s pump and resivoir as well, and i can actually drift better..

the two lines that i looped were right by the rack and pinion, cut the rubber hose with some dikes, then took a hacksaw to the other line (hard line) and slipped the rubber hose over the ss line. thats what i did and it seems to be working fine..

i've heard that deleting your power steering can cause an early death, but no signs yet.. its also easier for the engine as well, one less belt to turn. i like having one belt :)

csolstad

Nov 12, 2005
Clinton, NJ
ive driven without power steering with awhile.. the only bad thing about it is parallel parking... if u live in a rural area where you dont have to parallel park, then its much more tolerable. i love driving on the highway with it though, it always points straight and it feels more responsive.. road feel is also better. if you have skinny ass arms, i doubt youll be able to park lol

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
I live in a city where I have to parallel park on occasion.

I have grippy 225's, no AC, no PS.

If you can't do it honestly go work out, because you're a tiny man.

My 88 didn't have progressive steering and it was *SCARY* at high speeds, so the swap (removal) was definitely worth it. The steering gets easier once the pump is removed from the equation since you don't have to push fluid through it. But if you'd like to sample no PS for awhile just pull the belt off for a bit.

As for parallel parking and lots etc, it's kind of a drag since you can't turn the wheel really quickly but you get used to it fast. Not really all that hard.