Making your Supra better on the cheap

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
I know there's quite a few such as the Sogi shifter mod, and adjusting the AFM etc.. What are your guys favorite ones? I have an 88 N/A, not looking for just hp/performance related things but things like head light mods, interior lights etc.. The cheaper the better, free is best!

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
change all fluids, plugs, replace any seals that are leaking/blown, basically make sure everything is running like it was when it left the dealership 20 yrs ago ;)

ilovemysupra

Oct 5, 2008
Melrose, MN
check codes first... start there, after that realize that owning and maintaining a supra isn't "cheap"... a supra isn't a "cheap car" you should have bought a civic if thats what your looking for... :1zhelp:

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I forgot to add to my post that I agree re: maintenance.

It may not be cheap, but it is the absolute BEST thing you can do for your MkIII.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Dont mess with the AFM.

I'd say the best cheap mods/updates I've done are:
-Shift boots from Empera on here ~40 for both
-Oil drain valve (fumoto) ~25
-Mighty Lift Hood supports ~35 for both
-Shifter socket and seat from Marlin Crawler ~20
-Paint repair kit and Bottle of touch up paint ~20

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
6dxwlu.jpg

You can only pick two, each two you pick has a direct effect with the 3rd.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
tissimo;1284867 said:
Go find a parts car and replace any shitty interior parts you have.

Gotta agree on this one no matter how good/expensive the gear in your car is if the interior is shitty replacing the bad parts with good gives it a HUGE lift.

Bang for the $ is very high.

I have/had some of the best Supra parts money can buy but once installed "out of sight out of mind"

Interior is where you spend the most time and it's in your face everytime you drive.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have parted out over 10 dead/wrecked supras, but the first parts pulled are always the ones my car needs. Even if my car doesn't need it, if it's better than what I have, I keep the best, and sell the rest if it is still good enough to sell.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Island_Yota;1284683 said:
I know there's quite a few such as the Sogi shifter mod, and adjusting the AFM etc.. What are your guys favorite ones? I have an 88 N/A, not looking for just hp/performance related things but things like head light mods, interior lights etc.. The cheaper the better, free is best!

Real question. Why would you adjust the AFM on a NA? I might just be sleepy.

grimreaper;1284722 said:
change all fluids, plugs, replace any seals that are leaking/blown, basically make sure everything is running like it was when it left the dealership 20 yrs ago ;)

LilMissMkIII;1284727 said:
Get a few yards of vinyl/leatherette material and retrim your interior.

IJ.;1284933 said:
Gotta agree on this one no matter how good/expensive the gear in your car is if the interior is shitty replacing the bad parts with good gives it a HUGE lift.

Bang for the $ is very high.

I have/had some of the best Supra parts money can buy but once installed "out of sight out of mind"

Interior is where you spend the most time and it's in your face everytime you drive.

:boink: I bought a old supra and hated the yucky steering wheel. Since your feedback is through your hands. logic is, nice leather = happy hands = happy driver.

I recently had the front windshield replaced. nice clean glass ftw.

My red car is slow, and I'm old so I don't worry about trying for speed, reliable is more my style.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
jugodegolf;1284992 said:
Real question. Why would you adjust the AFM on a NA? I might just be sleepy.

:boink: I bought a old supra and hated the yucky steering wheel. Since your feedback is through your hands. logic is, nice leather = happy hands = happy driver.

I recently had the front windshield replaced. nice clean glass ftw.

I believe Dean Marcum created the NA AFM mod. I've done it to my NA. You basically adjust the flapper within the AFM to allow it to move more air freely. It is supposed to decrease resistance and allow more air to move, in turn, producing more HP.

Now, I don't know how well it works, but take it for what it's worth.

On a side note, I'm selling my NA 1-Piece Aluminium Driveshaft which is a great upgrade :biglaugh:

-Mo

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Mo87NA;1284994 said:
I believe Dean Marcum created the NA AFM mod. I've done it to my NA. You basically adjust the flapper within the AFM to allow it to move more air freely. It is supposed to decrease resistance and allow more air to move, in turn, producing more HP.

Now, I don't know how well it works, but take it for what it's worth.

On a side note, I'm selling my NA 1-Piece Aluminium Driveshaft which is a great upgrade :biglaugh:

-Mo

Cool. Haven't read much on NA upgrades. I'll stick with my NA upgrade:evil2:

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Let's see, best "cheap" mods for the NA. Lucky for you I'm a poor NA lover.

Quality wires and NGK plugs. God only knows how long it's been since they've been changed
BillyM shifter bushing kit. Nothing is a better upgrade for the w58
Quality shocks. Not necessarily "cheap" but a HUGE improvement over tired stockers
Headlight rewire. It's not that difficult and the difference is amazing.
Battery relocation. significant improvement in handling.
Replace hood/hatch supports. I hate using that damn stick.
Ignition cutoff switch. Stock locks and alarm are not going to help you.
Ignitor ground mod. Smoother idle, essentially free

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
BillyM vs. Marlin Crawler, what are your thoughts?

I've seen the inner socket, and the shifter seat, on MC's website.

The only thing I don't see on the site is the bronze bushing that comes in the BillyM kit.

I would say that the Marlin Crawler would be the better choice as it would last longer, just unsure if I can find the bronze bushing on the site or if I'm missing it. I'm considering getting the bronze bushing from the BM kit, and the other parts from MC for durability and to keep the crisper shifting for longer