Making the best out of a bad purchase - LS Swap

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
Cool thread so far. I am subscribing for future updates. I also would love to do a ls swap but I first want to get my turbo installed on my 1jz. I already have it and want to follow through with it. How accurate are the SW models. The detail looks incredible, so I wonder if it is an exact copy or just an ICM model? I too would like a copy if you are willing. Also, the TR6060 is the updated version of the t-56. I haven't seen how much they cost yet or how much better if at all they are compared to the t-56.

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
Thanks, guys! The engine model came straight from GM, so it's as accurate for fitting parts as you can get. Its actually a model of an LS3, as you can tell by the knock sensors in the lower block (vs the intake valley), and by the MAP sensor at the front of the intake.
Fortunately, the physical dimensions are identical to the engine that I will be using.

Making good progress today. I've got someone coming to pick up ALL of my 7M engine stuff today, so I'm excited about that. It's hard to even give this stuff away....
Going to pull the 7m that's currently sitting in the engine bay this morning before I have to go in to the office... Not excited about that. LOL

I'll get the engine bay modeled up, but from what I've measured so far, this setup is going to fit like a glove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
Super long day... Between working and fighting to get this stubborn engine out of the car, I'm worn out!

And of course, guy from Craigslist that was supposed to come and get all of this stuff ended up not showing. Already had the engine pulled out and hanging on the hoist...
So, called up a buddy and told him if he came and got it ALL out of my garage, he could scrap it.
Finally room on my engine stand for the LS engine!

Empty engine bay, too. It's absolutely filthy, but its empty. I'll spend a few hours with simple green on it tomorrow and see if it cleans up.
At least I can start modeling up the engine compartment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364521981.187477.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364522010.115913.jpg

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
Well, finally decided on a transmission. I'm going with an auto that I know will hold up to the power level.
Found a late model 4L80e that I'm hoping to squeeze in there.

So, with that said, if anyone local needs a good R154 setup.... Let me know. I'd say $400 is a decent price?

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
adventr;1926942 said:
Well, finally decided on a transmission. I'm going with an auto that I know will hold up to the power level.
Found a late model 4L80e that I'm hoping to squeeze in there.

So, with that said, if anyone local needs a good R154 setup.... Let me know. I'd say $400 is a decent price?

good choice, the 60 model tends to break easier. You didn't wanna go standard with a t56?

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
Beals;1926968 said:
good choice, the 60 model tends to break easier. You didn't wanna go standard with a t56?

Yeah, I wouldn't even consider a 4L60 for a turbo build. I would like to have a standard, but I don't think that the R154 is suited for this build, and I'm not a big fan of the T56. Especially for the $1500 that a used one goes for. I've got a lot of LSx friends, and every single one of them with the T56 has had issues.

In the end, I decided on the '80 as its stout, and will load the turbos better. I can run a bit larger (giving me room to grow later on), and it still be driveable.

Also, with a good multi-disc lockup converter, the '80 will be solid on the highway. I've run a 4L80e in the past with a good converter, and its a nice feeling when the converter locks in while under boost.

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
Anyone have/know of, any pics/threads/details of getting a 4L80e/TH400 trans to fit in a MK3? Found one on here from 2009, but none of the pics show up anymore...

Just trying to decide if it's hammering/light cutting to make it fit, or if I'm better off stripping the interior and completely rebuilding the tunnel.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
ask IJ, he'd prolly be your best bet in that area he seems to be knowledgeable about everything haha.

wierd I would of never guessed the t56 would of been no good, the old ones were on vipers pushing easily 500 hp and the new ones are being put on challengers, from my understanding their like a r154 with overdrive bc of the extra gear. But I guess each to their own. I guess I'm just a big believer for manual transmissions but for racing their not always as practical.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
BEAUTIFUL work. The welds look amazing, and your SolidWorks modelling makes me jealous!

There's a guy named Jonah (cant remember his screen name) who's doing a 4.8 LSx buildup on his Mk3; he's pretty far along so far, so you might want to check with him.

As for the T56, the gearing is almost exactly the same as the R154, though you have that additional 6th gear that is .5:1

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
mehh, real men use Microstation ;).

Seriously though, nice work of the model. I modeled the engine bay already using the dimensions found in the TSRM. It's in the body section if I recall correctly. I might be able to help you out *IF* I have it on my external hard drive (I'm in Afghanistan at the moment). Let me dig around this afternoon to see if I have it. Can you convert from Microstation V8i?

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
SUPER busy day today...

Got the trans out, and a couple of really cool MK3 guys drove 3hrs to come and pick it up! Also was able to pawn off the rest of my 7M parts on them. Lol

Got the engine bay cleaned up (not finished), and started on my model of the engine bay.

Also got my LS engine on the stand, and partially torn down. Doesn't sound like much, but it was a long day...

Supposedly the engine has around 80k miles on it. No way to know for sure, but it looks usable and should clean up nicely.

Pics:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364702545.560684.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364702570.094911.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364702590.708768.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364702614.828011.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364702643.459523.jpg

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
Well, I just couldn't resist building the engine while I had it apart...

So, off it went to the machine shop to get some goodies!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364931697.453114.jpg

Also having them open up the new ring gaps to my specs.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
adventr;1926589 said:
Thanks, guys! The engine model came straight from GM, so it's as accurate for fitting parts as you can get. Its actually a model of an LS3 ...Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So did you make the turbos, IC, WG, and piping yourself in SW? or were you able to source those and combine them all in an assembly??

How is the engine bay model coming along?

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
DeMoN2318;1935762 said:
So did you make the turbos, IC, WG, and piping yourself in SW? or were you able to source those and combine them all in an assembly??

How is the engine bay model coming along?

Yeah, I did all of the modeling on those parts, except for the wastegate bodies themselves.

Progress: Not much

Had the engine block/rotating assembly professionally built, and it looks great. Got a good set of heads for it, and they are ready to be ported out. I've also acquired lots of LS goodies along the way.
That said, I've been busy with my other hobbies this summer. Mostly 4-wheeling and building 4wd related stuff.

If anyone has an interest in this project, I'd sell it all for $1500 just to clear some garage space. Pickup only, of course!