Making my W58 happy..

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
1-2clutch-u;1189988 said:
i run whats called in the subie world scottys cocktail, only thing is that i dont like redline for personal reasons so i sub the mt 90 for lucas but keep the shock proof and what not. no problems and I beat my w58 bec i hate r154's... for personal reasons {yes im an odd one}

wait till you start making some real power you will get tired of replacing w58's real fast.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
1-2clutch-u;1189988 said:
i run whats called in the subie world scottys cocktail, only thing is that i dont like redline for personal reasons so i sub the mt 90 for lucas but keep the shock proof and what not. no problems and I beat my w58 bec i hate r154's... for personal reasons {yes im an odd one}

Personal reasons? Mixing oils is not a good idea...the additives can cause "conflicts" in use. I'd like to hear the "personal reasons" you use to justify what you use is better than the petro engineers at Red Line have spent a great deal of time/effort in making MT-90.

BTW - Lucas does not hold a candle to Red Line's quality...even the Ford gear oils are superior.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
after buying redline, it does shift smoother, and 2nd gear doesnt grind anymore.

well, not nearly as much.

ever since the cold has hit though, i do hear some bearing noises i haven't heard before when the trans is loaded/unloaded...booo

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
The personal reasons is a very long story, mostly a customer service thing. I will say if the w58 gives up then idk but I dont like the way the 154 feels but that thing is strong.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
theKnifeArtist;1190062 said:
ever since the cold has hit though, i do hear some bearing noises i haven't heard before when the trans is loaded/unloaded...booo

That is the reason you don't just let the car warm up and drive the piss outta it, other things have to get to operating temp as well.

Mine does it too, every manual tranny I've driven does it regardless of the oil in it. Once it warms up it's fine.

And I'm not even going to go into the crap in this thread about running Lucas. Lucas has one use, and one use only...to quiet an engine down to sell a car.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
^
i dont "drive the piss outta it" when the tranny is cold.
i know the tranny has to warm up aswell.
The noise i was talkin about is heard as just off idle actually, so it doesnt take much.
It's seems to have gotten better since though ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Didn't mean to accuse you of beating on the car :biglaugh:

Just seems to be the common occurance and not really paid attention to on the car side, but motorcycle guys have known it forever because everything is so much easier to feel on a motorcycle (you know when something isn't right pretty quick).

Still waiting on the reason for the Red Line hate from 1-2clutch...