mainstuds

taid79

RWD
Sep 29, 2005
California
Hi, I haven't really posted on the forums much but I did use the search tool and did not find an answer. I am currently in the process of rebuilding my motor and from what I read, most people seem to recomend ARP hardware. So here's my question, I purchased the ARP mainstud kit thinking it was absolutely necessary but my machinst saids otherwise. I was told that if I decided to use studs instead of bolts, he would have to align hone the journals and because this procedure does not shave much off the block but mostly on the main caps, I could possibly spin a bearing in the future. He saids that by using studs, they will create a bulge after being torqued deeper into the block than bolts, leading to excessive clearance. This is my first time building my motor so I thought maybe I could get some feedback from people who have more experience. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
ARP does suggest to align hone the main housing holes when switching to main studs. Your machinist can check for straightness and roundness of a capped, crankless block, to see if it is needed. Don't do it if it is not needed. The stock bolts are plenty strong for most applications.

taid79

RWD
Sep 29, 2005
California
Thanks guys for your feedback! I was talking with my machinist again and it turns out I misunderstood him. Since the wear on the main journals were not anything abnormal I guess I don't have to align hone them. And as far as the main studs go... since the stock bolts did hold up to 177,000 miles and I'm not aiming at crazy HP, I think I'll just stick with the stock bolts. Too bad I didn't do enough research before I bought the kit! Now I have to find someone to buy it:biglaugh: