main bearing problem!! never seen this before

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
ok well i was installing my main bearings today and was a lil confused with this so i contacted my friend whitezombie and he aid he has never come across this and just wanted to see if anyone has seen this.

but i was install the bearings today and on the number 3 main where it has 2 oil hole that feeds the oil the the oil pump drive shaft bearing the and the oil hole in the block is a little offset and the bearing oil hole does not line up completely.

this is a 1987 7mgte

21nkv36.png

25s5uf4.png

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I noticed that in my block.
Having put the bearing in place, I see that it's aligned enough to provide oil flow.
My block is a 90 or 91.
You can see it somewhat in this pic.

p1898395_1.jpg

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
supraguy@aol;1898395 said:
I noticed that in my block.
Having put the bearing in place, I see that it's aligned enough to provide oil flow.
My block is a 90 or 91.
You can see it somewhat in this pic.

p1898407_1.jpg

i wonder if this is a factory machineing problem on certain blocks because it dosent seem like everyone has had this problem before. just seems like ud need all the oil flow you can in that area just worried me when i first saw that if the bearing were wrong

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
and should that much of the block surface still be showing when the bearing is installed you can see the macined surface of the block to the right and left of the bearing

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The bearings on my block lined up perfectly.

The bearings were Clevite 77 bearings, ordered from Driftmotion, and the block is probably a 1989. (New block casting, 6M crank)

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Hmm..Idk I might be a little leary of that. Odds are it probably wouldn't affect much but u paid for them, they should fit right...if u put the stockers back on another one do they cover the block all the way? I have no idea but if there is space left over could that possibly cause the bearings to wiggle? If so over a long time that may cause wear on the crank?

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
[QuUOTE=Devin LeBlanc;1898438]That won't cause a problem, I've seen them both ways. Never an issue.[/QUOTE] so you have seen them covering up the oil hole in the block a lil and not lining up prefectly. And with the bearing not compeltely covering the entire block surface

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
So long as you don't have this:
p1898531_1.jpg

When I first got my bearing package, this is what was in the box. There were only 5 pairs, and they were badly undersized. Clevite had shipped the wrong box.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
By Gap if you mean the tunnel is wider than the shell then Yes, If the Shell isn't a snap in fit it's wrong, old bearings if hammered can lose this snap fit.

As for the Oil hole I'd carefully port match it with a dremel, I wouldn't run it like that.

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
IJ.;1898634 said:
By Gap if you mean the tunnel is wider than the shell then Yes, If the Shell isn't a snap in fit it's wrong, old bearings if hammered can lose this snap fit.

As for the Oil hole I'd carefully port match it with a dremel, I wouldn't run it like that.

well it fits in fine without a problem i was just meaning the exposed block ont he right and left side of the bearing wasnt sure it was suppose to cover the entire block surface. use a dremel on the block or the bearing? had a freind say he would file the block but would be worried about messing with the bearing because a chance of bending the bearing

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
supraguy@aol so you have not had a problem out of yours? do you kno anyone else that has noticed this im sure many other people have this same problem and never noticed it or had it fixed without putting it on the forum. just seeing if this is something i should call and ask clevite about and if they have heard of this?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Why not call them anyway and see what they say. I wouldn't take chances on something that important to the motor. I'm not even in the same galaxy as Devin or IJ (or half the guys on the forum for that matter) when it comes to knowing my shit, all I'm saying is if I paid for something I would want to have complete peace of mind that it fits right, and the oil holes match up like they should. Know what I mean?

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
7M4EVR;1898661 said:
Why not call them anyway and see what they say. I wouldn't take chances on something that important to the motor. I'm not even in the same galaxy as Devin or IJ (or half the guys on the forum for that matter) when it comes to knowing my shit, all I'm saying is if I paid for something I would want to have complete peace of mind that it fits right, and the oil holes match up like they should. Know what I mean?

i agree with you 100 perecnt im still in the learing game and when i saw that i just new that something was wrong. im going to call them tomorrow im sure someone has had the question to. ive done research and seen that this has happened in ford and chevy motors also. and most people have had to file either the block or the bearing to match the holes like 1j said. im sure this is what it will have to come down to. like others have said dont want to screw the motor up because of a 30 min job to fix this

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IJ.;1898634 said:

I would get a bearing that fits.