Maftpro tuning the AFR -PLZ HELP!!!

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ok so here's the deal, i got a maftpro kit and a LC1 wideband and installed everything in a couple days. Once i powered up the Maftpro i set all the settings according to the "maftpro writeup" thread then i calibrated the LC1. Now the problem i first had was that the car would idle the slowly die, so i did some research and found that if i connected a differnt vacuum source to it then it wouldnt stall. The only problem that iam having know is that the Maftpro's AFR is going to around 18+......

Has anyone else had this problem?? if so please let me know what you did to fix it. Also is it possible that i wired up the LC1 wrong? I know that the maftpro is wired in perfectly but im thinking i messed up with the LC1's wiring so here is how i wired the LC1 unit itself:

-The blue and white wire are grounded with the purple wire all at one spot
-The red wire is connected to my cigarette lighter
-The brown wire (analog output 2) is connected to the gauge's green wire and then into the maftpro's orange wire
-The black wire is also grounded with the white and blue wire with a indication LED in between
-And last but not least the yellow wire is disconnected...(analog out 1)

Know for the gauge:
- the green wire is wired with the brown wire off of the LC1 into the orange wire from the maftpro
-the black wire is grounded with the blue and white wire from the LC1
-the white wire i believe may actually be grounded (im pretty sure its not supposed to be)
-the brown wire is also connected to the cig lighter
-the blue wire is also connected to the cig lighter

ok i know thats a big writeup but can you guys please help me out i really miss my baby :1zhelp:

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Everyone has this problem. You need to hook up your laptop (http://www.mgnta.com/Documents/MAFTProSetup/Setup/) and start tuning.

1. Update the software to atleast V4.8 (http://www.fullthrottletech.com/showthread.php?t=2129&page=2).

2. Start reading (http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38780).

3. Start tuning, your going to start with mainscale. Assuming you still have stock 440s then your mainscale should be set around ~-10. Then your going to start playing with the AF User tune tables. AF user tune low is for idle and cruising, AF user tune mid is for cruising and lower boost, AF user tune Hi is for full throttle high boost. After you've played with that its time to start reading again about using VE table 2.

4. www.fullthrottletech.com is the best place for support along with Supramania.

5. Please post up all the settings you've set after updating the software to atleast V4.8.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ok update: i was confused on why the car was running really rough and missing, so i went over all the problems and figured out i have a faulty fuel pump. So i smacked the tank and got her to run and idle properly, then i watched the afr and it read a perfect 14.7. So then i took her for a little spin watching the afr and noticed that when i left off the throttle and let her stay in high reves with the clutch disengaged the afr went to 22.3 or so and then every time i would give it about half throttle i noticed the afr went to around 11 or 12. Is this normal? do i still have to mess around with my laptop with it and mess with my "AF tune" and "VE tune" like fletch124 said?

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
indy_mk3;1071206 said:
ok update: i was confused on why the car was running really rough and missing, so i went over all the problems and figured out i have a faulty fuel pump. So i smacked the tank and got her to run and idle properly, then i watched the afr and it read a perfect 14.7. So then i took her for a little spin watching the afr and noticed that when i left off the throttle and let her stay in high reves with the clutch disengaged the afr went to 22.3 or so and then every time i would give it about half throttle i noticed the afr went to around 11 or 12. Is this normal? do i still have to mess around with my laptop with it and mess with my "AF tune" and "VE tune" like fletch124 said?

Going lean for a few seconds when the throttle is closed is normal, all fuel is shut off then reinstated when you reach idle or you tip back in on the throttle.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
so is it normal for it to run at these afr readings? i dont want to lean it out..my buddy had a 450whp FD and leaned it out :( and i dont wanna end up doing the same thing

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
AFR on decel should be 21+. Half throttle - depends, if you're accelerating, then those numbers look ok. If you're maintaining speed, it should normally be at 14.7 - unless you're maintaining a really high speed, or going up a steep hill or something.

Not too sure about high revs without the car in gear, I've never tried that!

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
GrimJack;1071468 said:
AFR on decel should be 21+. Half throttle - depends, if you're accelerating, then those numbers look ok. If you're maintaining speed, it should normally be at 14.7 - unless you're maintaining a really high speed, or going up a steep hill or something.

Not too sure about high revs without the car in gear, I've never tried that!

well i was in gear, i was driving it around and it read around 21+ or so if i let the throttle go in gear and let it slowy rev down but if i start to go full throttle should i make sure it doesnt go under 14.7? or is it normal for it to go under 14.7? If so how low can it go safely?? thanks!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You can go pretty low. :) It's not low that you need to worry about, it's high - low = rich, high = lean.

When you are loading the engine, ie, accel, it should be less than 11.5.
When you are unloading the engine, ie, decel with your foot off the gas pedal, it should be 21+.
When you are cruising, maintaining a reasonable speed, it should be ~14.7

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
GrimJack;1071685 said:
You can go pretty low. :) It's not low that you need to worry about, it's high - low = rich, high = lean.

When you are loading the engine, ie, accel, it should be less than 11.5.
When you are unloading the engine, ie, decel with your foot off the gas pedal, it should be 21+.
When you are cruising, maintaining a reasonable speed, it should be ~14.7

k man thanks for the tips! i think im gonna go take her for a rip again and see exaclty what its going to and ill post it up asap. And p.s. is it safe to go full out with her? i wanna see what psi its running at and then tune it to around 14psi.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Probably not, at least not yet. If I knew for a fact that you still had the factory fuel cut working then maybe...

You'll need to datalog a bunch of runs with progressively more power, and analyze each one after you're done to make sure you are still running nice and rich up top.

If your fuel pump is going, you need to replace it first, as you're going to be making some big demands on how much it can flow.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
GrimJack;1071741 said:
Probably not, at least not yet. If I knew for a fact that you still had the factory fuel cut working then maybe...

You'll need to datalog a bunch of runs with progressively more power, and analyze each one after you're done to make sure you are still running nice and rich up top.

If your fuel pump is going, you need to replace it first, as you're going to be making some big demands on how much it can flow.

well im going to be replacing the fuel pump tomorrow and the fuel filter, and as for the factory fuel cut, iam not to sure if it is still set but i believe it still is because i have not adjusted any settings to do with the factory fuel cut. Also is my mainscale supposed to be 0.0 for stock injectors,stock fuel pump...? and also is it possible to change the fuel pump without removing the tank?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
indy_mk3;1071785 said:
well im going to be replacing the fuel pump tomorrow and the fuel filter, and as for the factory fuel cut, iam not to sure if it is still set but i believe it still is because i have not adjusted any settings to do with the factory fuel cut. Also is my mainscale supposed to be 0.0 for stock injectors,stock fuel pump...?
Yes, at least initially.

indy_mk3;1071785 said:
...and also is it possible to change the fuel pump without removing the tank?
Sorry, no.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ok so i looked at the tank and realized i cant remove it due to the exhuast being right in the way! so its going to the shop this thursday for a fuel pump and filter. And also i know this wasent the smartest idea but i decided to take for another spin this time a bit longer to examine how the afr responded to different conditions. So now i noticed that when it first starts up and is cold it sits at around mabye 12 to 13 then once it warms up it slowly reaches 14.7, then driving it around sometimes when i would stop the car the readings would go a bit higher then 14.7 , 16.1 is the highest it reached. Also at full throttle it starts to go lean at around 15 or 16, then when im cruising maintaining speed she sits around 14.7 but when i let go off the throttle and let the clutch engage and slow it down it reaches 22. I think its running a little lean but i havent messed with any of the settings because i think im gonna test it out once the new fuel pump is installed. Can a faulty fuel pump cause this problem? and also does this sound normal for a car that hasent been tuned yet?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
if you are going lean at wot, then i would figure out why that is happening before you go out and do it again. are you monitoring the vf signal to see why its leaning out?
-pete

Pantaloon007

Permanent Ban
Apr 2, 2008
Vegas
indy_mk3;1072010 said:
Also at full throttle it starts to go lean at around 15 or 16

Can a faulty fuel pump cause this problem? and also does this sound normal for a car that hasent been tuned yet?

YES. You should change your fuel pump and filter right away. Even if you tune it for longer injector pulse, your pump will screw it up because it will keep flowing less and less.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ok so i got the new fuel pump in and now my LC1 is getting a heater calibration code (ill figure it out) but now it seems to run a lot better and starts up more often to lol. Now when i got WOT what should my afr be? and sometimes at idle it varies..sometimes it goes -14 and sometimes +14..i dont think thats right and p.s i still havent adjusted my mainscale and everyone was saying it should start at 0.0 but i believe its set from the previous owner to a different number. Other then that she runs great and has no problems boosting but i just wanna make sure she wont go BOOM! thanks

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
sneakypete;1073293 said:
if you are going lean at wot, then i would figure out why that is happening before you go out and do it again. are you monitoring the vf signal to see why its leaning out?
-pete

stupid question but what should the vf be at?

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
can you display it on the sensor screen? and also how do you access the mainscale?, and p.s. i dont now if its my wideband or the car but she's running really rich now, prob at around 7 or 8...