Maft pro tuning question

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
Ok so first off let me say that very few of the maft pro links in the maft pro archive are working so i have to post instead of reading and figuring out for myself. So anywho i have Maft pro version 5.0 speed density with boost controll, my mods are 50 trim ct-26, bigger spearco i/c, 2.5 inch hardpipes, full 3 inch, AFPR, walbr and 12v mod, i have stock 440 cc injectors my fuel pressure is @ 40psi w/o vacuum Stock 02 unplugged AEM wb

Here is my problem, I tune PT and it is great untill i shut the car off i get back in and fire it up and after cold start enrichment is done it's like i never tuned it.
the other thing that is confusing me is why do i need to add fuel anywhere when i was untuned @ 16 psi with the stock afm and a fcd on stock fuel pressure my car, under boost stayed very rich (10.2-1 afr) now on both my mid and WOT maps i am adding fuel and my low throttle map is the only one i am taking away from. It also seems like AFR tracking does'nt even try to correct anything. I am just trying to figure out what if anything i'm doing wrong. maybe have my AFR tracking setup wrong? :1zhelp:
all my constants and scalers are setup correctly the only thing i question is the manual said to se mainscale @ 0 b/c i have 440s. Any help would be greatly Apriciated.

thanks
-Zac

89turbotoy

Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
update i have ptt and wot tracking set, i just can't get it to track @ idle so i want to disable ptt and hook my o2 back up and just use wot tracking if that is possible? If it can be done what are the settings to disable ptt ( i would imagine 0) and
afr min tps
afr min rpm
afr min load
the last thing i need help with is my boost controll. the problem i'm having is i have my start boost set @ 11.2psi and my target set to 16psi, my start dc% is 80% and gain is 5.2% it spike @ 14-15psi then drops to wg pressure 7-9psi when i stab the thottle but if i roll into it the boost rises to 13 psi and stays.
again thanks for any help in advance
-Zac

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
http://www.fadingworld.com/Supra/Electrical/MAFT Pro/MAFT Pro Online Guide/Manual 4.80.php

You can use WOT AFR Tracking with PTT disabled. The two systems are separate. IIRC, you want to set the TPS value for AFR Tracking for about 75% throttle. You can also watch your logs to see where the ECU stops monitoring the AFRs and set the AFR Tracking for just a touch above each of the relevant values.

[strike]There's a PDF or DOC file available on FullThrottleTech which gives a very good idea of how to ude each setting and what to expect from changes to each.[/strike]

http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14647&d=1176293640
http://www.fullthrottletech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=478&d=1177644361

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
89turbotoy;1106599 said:
the last thing i need help with is my boost controll. the problem i'm having is i have my start boost set @ 11.2psi and my target set to 16psi, my start dc% is 80% and gain is 5.2% it spike @ 14-15psi then drops to wg pressure 7-9psi when i stab the thottle but if i roll into it the boost rises to 13 psi and stays.
again thanks for any help in advance
-Zac

Set your start psi to 3psi below your target so in your case 13psi then set your duty to 40% and your gain to 10 this should make your boost much more stable.

89turbotoy

Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
ok so everything is working right now, save for boost it peaks @16 psi then drops to 9psi.
Also how long does it take for af tracking to get things right? It is trying to get my afr to 11.5-1 but it will bounce off rich cut and sometimes off lean cut at different rpms especially if i don't roll into the throttle is this normal if so is there anything i can do to help it along? or should i just keep driving @ wot any chance i get to see if it works itself out? and should i should i stay in it when it's bouncing off cut?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It should be instant. I set mine to 11.2 and it's always been 11.2, there was no learning curve. Among other reasons, the MAFT Pro doesn't learn like that - it's fast enough that it just calculates it on the fly.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It can take a while depending on how you've set things up. If the gain's too low it may take a few moments for it to get in the ballpark. If your PTT/WOT AFR is a ways off from your base tune it can take a few moments. If your gain is too high it may bounce all over the place and possibly not really settle where you want.

The MAFT Pro doesn't adjust for an AFR nearly as aggressively as the stock ECU. The length of time it takes shouldn't be excessive though... but that's a subjective term it's definition is up to you and your needs.

If your AFR is bouncing around a lot (the AFR jumps to and then past the target AFR and then swings back the other way and goes too far) as PTT or WOT tracking start adjusting for an AFR try reducing the gain a bit.

EDIT (for clarification):
As Grim said though, it's not a learning system. If there's a problem, such as it's taking way too long to add fuel to get you to a safe AFR then YOU need to make adjustments. The MAFT Pro isn't going to figure it out on it's own.

I should also add that i assumed you were talking about PTT and WOT AFR Tracking. If you're referring to the reacion speed in regard to the base tune you've set up, then yes, it should be pretty much instant. If it's still bouncing around when you move the throttle with PTT disabled then you need to continue tweaking your enrichment and decay settings.

Last edited:

lunchy

Aug 13, 2008
greenville
So being a tuning noob that i am, how hard is it to set up and tune the Maft pro?? Does it use the stock afm? What else would i need along with the maft pro? Is it better than lex 550's?? Thanx in advance!

89turbotoy

Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
ok so you saying if it is hitting cut during af traking i may need to make some adjustments in my wot map and also in gain and tps decay? which basicly means i have to getmy wot map very close to were i want it and the afr tracking should keep it @ 11.5-1 afr correct?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
You're hitting fuel cut? You may just be at the limit for the stock injectors. Someone with a little more experience with tuning a upgraded CT with stock fuel could probably say for sure.

89turbotoy

Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
CRE;1107750 said:
You're hitting fuel cut? You may just be at the limit for the stock injectors. Someone with a little more experience with tuning a upgraded CT with stock fuel could probably say for sure.

i don't think my injectors are maxed b/c it is only a 50 trim and i have run it @ 15 psi before and was still super rich (10-1afr)

89turbotoy

Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
ok this is getting frustrating, i don't know why it won't work if i'm @ the limit for the 440s some one please tell me, i have the fuel pressure @ 40 psi without vacuum and 30 psi w/vacuum the turbo is a 50 trim ct-26 and i have a 255lph fuel pump w/ 12v mod i want to run 16 psi and i keep hitting fuel cut. Should my mainscale be different? Do i have to go to 550s?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Upload a log and your bin so one of us can take a look at what's going on and possibly get a better idea of where the issue lies.

Have you checked for any boost leaks?

89turbotoy

Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
CRE;1107802 said:
Upload a log and your bin so one of us can take a look at what's going on and possibly get a better idea of where the issue lies.

Have you checked for any boost leaks?

i am not very good with computers can someone walk me through how to upload the bin and a log i can get them from my laptop onto a disk but then what do i do so you guys can see them?

i have checked and re checked for boost leaks there are none

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
89turbotoy;1107804 said:
i am not very good with computers can someone walk me through how to upload the bin and a log i can get them from my laptop onto a disk but then what do i do so you guys can see them?

i have checked and re checked for boost leaks there are none

I'll PM you my email address, just email them to me and I'll put them up on my server for the others for a little bit.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
89turbotoy said:
okay there are 2 bins and 1 log the first log goes with the bin titled afrtracking1 does not have a log b/c it goes too lean and i could not stay in it for fear of engine damage i disabled the boost contoll and in the afrtracking1 bin everything seemed ok except idle is very unstable it is the wotonly1 bin that i am having issues with.

You guys can download the aforementioned bins and log from my server at: http://www.fadingworld.com/Supra/zac/

If I get a chance I'll look at them tonight or tomorrow, Zac, and dude.... how about some grammar and punctuation?

89turbotoy

Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
CRE;1107999 said:
You guys can download the aforementioned bins and log from my server at: http://www.fadingworld.com/Supra/zac/

If I get a chance I'll look at them tonight or tomorrow, Zac, and dude.... how about some grammar and punctuation?

sorry i have limited time and have to hurry. it was time for my daughters bath and i had to finish the email fast. Any way thanks once more for your and everyone's help.

-Zac

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Well, the answer seems obvious to me, but I'll let someone else confirm. Here's his high load fuel table:

Mainscale: 0

AF User Tune Hi

RPM
..............400....800...1200...1600...2200...2800...3400...4000...4600...5200...5800...6400...7000...7600
Percent....8.5....10.5...15.0....20.5...26.5....30.0...31.5....32.0....33.0...34.5....37.5...43.0....49.0...56.0

I don't know how far the airflow signal has to be beyond the stock maps to initiate fuel cut. I'm pretty sure that telling the TCCS it needs to supply 37.5% more fuel than normal at 5800RPM isn't helping.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
WOW that is adding alot of fuel, I'm still on 440's and had to take about 3-4% out on the high load tables.