MAFT Pro (Tuner Pro)

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
Well, I have everything installed: MAFT, AEM WB, and boost control. Everything works fine besides needing a good tune. Now for the question: Does anyone know how much memory the tuning software needs/uses?

I went to Best Buy to get a cheap laptop for tuning. It had 512mb and windows vista. The salesman told me Vista would eat maybe 75% of the ram and the program might not work.... I don't know CPU's at all. Is he right about Vista using so much and would Tuner Pro be fine on that laptop or should I save up for one w/ more memory?? I can't imagine it'd use that much. Thanks.

-Brian

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
You'll probably save money by buying a less expensive laptop and upgrading the RAM yourself. I'd recommend buying additional RAM online (from a reputable retailer such as NewEgg.com).

From what I've heard Vista is an absolute pig... so while it would fit in well when paired up with a MKIII, I would personally look for something running XP. You'll probably get a better deal, too.

EDIT: Oh and to answer your question I don't think I've ever seen TunerPro use over 10MB of RAM.

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
Hmm, it'd be nice to get a new laptop for less than ~$450-500. I guess I need to look around then. I have a laptop now, but it was NEW in '98... also when I turn it on all I get is a black screen that says "operating system not found". I suppose I could see whats wrong w/that too..

Thanks for the info.

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
My wife and I just bought a new laptop straight from hp online. I think it was about 500 out the door. It is actually really nice. It has vista and it still has room to run a bunch of programs at once.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Well, if you need a new laptop then get one. If this is only going to be used for tuning and logging you might want to see about reinstalling your OS.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
I've heard Vista takes a lot of ram to run as well, I'd suggest looking for maybe a used laptop running xp with 512 ram, that should get you by just fine, if CRE is right and it only uses 10mb of ram. I wouldn't expect it to take up a whole bunch of ram, it can't be too big of a program.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
lumpy said:
Hmm, it'd be nice to get a new laptop for less than ~$450-500. I guess I need to look around then. I have a laptop now, but it was NEW in '98... also when I turn it on all I get is a black screen that says "operating system not found". I suppose I could see whats wrong w/that too..

Thanks for the info.

That would probally be a better computer to use, as it has a serial port(i would think)

I cannot find a new computer that has a serial port... you have to get a serial-->usb coverter

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I do prefer a physical serial port. However adapters aren't so bad, it's just a matter of finding a good one and a good driver for it. The one I bought works great using another company's driver. If anyone is looking for one and wants the specifics of what I'm running see my MAFT Pro writeup in the N/A section.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
GrimJack said:
Don't worry about RAM. I'm running Tuner Pro on win2K with 256M, it's perfectly fine.

I'd seriously suggest an old notebook, unless you want to use it for something else as well.

exactly. tunerpro doesn't use many resources at all.

as for the latptop itself, i HIGHLY recommend an older one that has a a real serial port. yup, loads of people have no problems w/a USB->serial adaptor, but they still scare me....

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
im not all 100% sure turner pro would work with vista?

i heard some stuff had issues when going from xp/to vista, or was that mainly a driver issue, if so, i probaly couldn't get my serial/usb driver installed :aigo:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Even if the program does only take a small amount of resources, Vista takes an UBER MASSIVE HUGE amount. So while it may run fine on the lean running win2k, Vista even with double the ram I would question.

I got my USB>serial adapter to work in Vista with my Zeitronix WB, and it ran fine. My macbook pro has 2GB of ram and a 2.33 Core 2 Due processor though.

www.retrobox.com is where I got my in car/garage laptop. If you want a cheap single purpose computer, I think you should check them out.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
pimptrizkit said:
im not all 100% sure turner pro would work with vista?

i heard some stuff had issues when going from xp/to vista, or was that mainly a driver issue, if so, i probaly couldn't get my serial/usb driver installed :aigo:

no info here, my old crappy dell CPx does just fine....and i'll never own a PC w/vista on it, so who cares! ;)

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
If you are only going to use it for street tuning, buy an old 14" laptop. I used an old 14" w/ serial with no problems. I tried using my 17" w/ USB and it's too damn big to put on the floor or seat or even have someone hold.

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
Well, I'm going to be taking my old laptop in to have it checked out and see what it'd take to get it going again. The GF's dad is coming by tonight to possibly buy my blazer. Then I'll have $500 to do whatever with.. hell even if it's $250 to refurbish my old laptop I'll still be ahead as opposed to buying new. :)

This is what I have... "Compaq Presario 1255 - K6-2 333 MHz - 12.1" HPA
Notebook - RAM: 32 MB - HD: 4 GB - CD-ROM - 3.3 kg" :

Yes, this is going to be used mainly for tuning etc. No games or huge programs. I'm guessing 512mb would be plenty then. Does this look like a good candidate? Ohh, it's got serial ports too!. :)

Last edited:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
what new laptop has a 2gb hd? I think you may have misread...hell, many flash memory cards are greater than 2gb.

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
adampecush said:
what new laptop has a 2gb hd? I think you may have misread...hell, many flash memory cards are greater than 2gb.

LMAO... you're right. I was waaaay off. I have no idea at all what I was thinking of. I'll have to edit that. LOL

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
Just download more ram :p

RAM.jpg