Maft pro timing control

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
I have an 89 turbo with a MAFT PRO and the timing control is active. My question is: Is there anyone out there using the timing control feature, and how much are you changing the timing as boost and RPM's rise?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I have it wired in and runs good, but honestly I'lve never seen if it actually works, and left it at 0. Does your timing control show up on the timing monitor?

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
dumbo;1394698 said:
I have it wired in and runs good, but honestly I'lve never seen if it actually works, and left it at 0. Does your timing control show up on the timing monitor?

I didnt do the mod inside the maft pro ... so no. But, you can see with a timing light and by just listening that the timing control is working.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
i do, and timing monitor wont see the adjustments made by the pro. add or subtract what you adjusted on the pro to the timing reading and there is your overall timing. both monitor and control work and are accurate per my digi timing gun...

since timing monitor reads the signal from the ecu you should be able to compare logs for similar runs and see when the ecu is pulling timing (think knock retard). I pull 3.5 degrees at 5000 rpms and 3 till redline. if you know what your looking at with similar runs you can find spots where the ecu is seeing kr and can adjust for it accordingly :) VERY cool feature and great way to keep things safe!

keep in mind there are a LOT of conditions that might trigger lower timing on one run vs the next. Not perfect but very do-able.

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
A quick poll:

Should I change the Pro so that the timing monitor takes the programmed timing adjustment into account?

Let me know your thoughts.

Bob

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
turbobob;1397902 said:
A quick poll:

Should I change the Pro so that the timing monitor takes the programmed timing adjustment into account?

Let me know your thoughts.

Bob

I would, takes any math out of it, and you can simply see it in the logs then.

Good to see you're still around.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
I thought i would want that bob until i saw the ecu pulling timing under various conditions.
If you do add that in is it possible to keep the Spark measured seperate so its only reading what the ecu is doing? maybe create a third Spark monitor (total spark?) that adds the other two together?

With out seeing what the ecu is doing and with no knock count we're totally in the dark (besides dyno time and det-cans) :)

how about temp based timing compensation? looking for something exactly like the temp based fuel% compensation...