maft-pro problem

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys! I am having a "sensitivity" problem with the maft-pro. More often than not when I pick it up to change the settings my car will almost stall out. It seems like the problem is in the 10 pin harness. I checked the ground and it seems to be okay. It feels like it is shorting out somewhere when I touch the damn 10 pin harness connector. I made sure that all the pins were straight in the piggy back and the harness so that I am getting good contact.....but still the problem persists. Any ideas?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I noticed the same thing on a couple setups I've worked on. I've found that by using a needle to push the receptacles together making for a firmer union the symptoms are reduced greatly... if they don't completely disappear. If this is the cause of your issue, once you're done tuning if the pins are in decent shape or if you replace them they should hold up fine as the unit won't be getting moved all the time.

There does, of course, exist the possibility of a broken solder union on the PCB, but I'd start with the easy stuff... compare the receptacles to see if any are spread out & check the wiring for breaks.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I've done that a few times and still usually when the car is cold on start up does it appear to miss. Never has done it when it's warm.

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
CRE;1354953 said:
I noticed the same thing on a couple setups I've worked on. I've found that by using a needle to push the receptacles together making for a firmer union the symptoms are reduced greatly... if they don't completely disappear. If this is the cause of your issue, once you're done tuning if the pins are in decent shape or if you replace them they should hold up fine as the unit won't be getting moved all the time.

There does, of course, exist the possibility of a broken solder union on the PCB, but I'd start with the easy stuff... compare the receptacles to see if any are spread out & check the wiring for breaks.

You called it bro! My buddy just took a needle and pushed the receptacles tighter on the white (IGF) wire on the 10 pin harness and VOILA! Symptoms are completely gone! Not to mention that code 14 disappeared as well!

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
black87turbo;1360741 said:
You called it bro! My buddy just took a needle and pushed the receptacles tighter on the white (IGF) wire on the 10 pin harness and VOILA! Symptoms are completely gone! Not to mention that code 14 disappeared as well!

CRE smart... CRE good... LONG LIVE THE CRE!!! :p

Yeah, there are other connectors with better reliability; connectors whose receptacles are circular and have only one slit tend to have less issue with this. Unfortunately, there aren't many options which support the same number of connections.

I'm planning on remotely mounting my MAFT Pro and separating the display and buttons, Having the main box mounted more securely and replacing the troublesome pins should alleviate this issue once and for all.

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
GrimJack;1361248 said:
Yup, pretty common by the sounds of things. Mine has done this as well.

They should have used better connectors.

In retrospect, perhaps. But these are the same connectors that are on the power supplies inside millions of PC's (perhaps billions.) So they should be fine.

Glad to hear its running better.

Bob

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
turbobob;1365167 said:
In retrospect, perhaps. But these are the same connectors that are on the power supplies inside millions of PC's (perhaps billions.) So they should be fine.

Glad to hear its running better.

Bob

The difference is that ATX connectors are seldom moved/disconnected and reconnected once installed. I don't think these are just up to the repetitive stress they see, particularly in a new install.

I sure didn't think they'd be a problem though... last thing I checked, I tested my harness, redid all the connections, tested sensors and voltages, resoldered the connectors on the PCB and the receptacles on the harness were a whim right at the end.

I have since replaced the pins which were fatigued and kept spreading and haven't had any trouble since. I recommend that others with this problem do the same. It's not a difficult fix.

I don't blame you at all Bob, I'm hard pressed to think of a different connector that I would have used for this hardware. I'm very surprised that this happened.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
A complaint is one thing and it is due if there's a problem.... whining on the other hand is the annoyance (which no one here is doing anyway).

For those of us who are/have experienced this problem how many have at one time or another frequently removed or unplugged/plugged the unit from the harness? When I was initially setting my system up I didn't have a laptop battery so I pulled the unit at least once a day to take inside to connect to my desktop; For me I'm sure this was the primary culprit.