Maft-Pro or Standalone

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
I'm running a 7MGTE swaped into an mk2. I have a maft-pro with speed density and boost controller but am thinking of selling it to go full standalone. My question is would you run my maft-pro piggy back already purchased or go full standalone with this setup, and what kind of standalone. My ECU plugs are from a 90+ supra. I have other things planned but some of my engine and transmission mods are the following:

- 550cc injectors
- walbro fuel pump
- Adjustable FPR
- Garrett T04E, 40/50mm wastegate, HKS BOv, T4 manifold
- Speaco Intercooler
- Koyo Radiator
- Twin Electric fans
- HKS Intake
- Custom oil catch can
- Full 3" exhaust
- Adjustable cam gears
- JE pistons .20 over
- Eagle Rods
- HKS MHG
- ARP Studs
- Fidanza light weight flywheel
- Clutch Master Clutch
- Rebuilt W58
- EGR removed

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Ditch the whole piggyback and use a standalone that can run the engine using speed-density metering (using manifold air pressure and temperature instead of an AFM)

an AEM is one option. See my post on what kind of igniter to use in this forum.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Yeah I think I should sell my maft-pro and go full standalone as I don't want to damage anything on this build. I like the sound of the ViPEC v88 or AEM v1. For $1900 the Aem is almost as expensive as the ViPEC and I've heard ViPEC is better.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Hired a tuner. I've got Bill from the Independent Speed Shop within easy driving distance, and he's a wizard, as well as being at least as OCD as me... IMO if you've got easy access to someone that good, use 'em.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
I have a shop in town called speedtech. As far as I know they're the only one's around here that do ecu tuning. I'll keep looking though, what's a rough average rate for a tune?

Turbo_ryde

Jun 30, 2011
Edmonton
Tell me how that goes! I'm looking at grabbing the AEM for my 89 but don't see any great tunning shops in Edmonton so looking like I'll have to take it to Calgary.