MAFT Pro / LC1 connection problem?

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
I'm finishing up the wiring on my MAFT Pro and powered it up to make sure I'm getting good signals from all the sensors. When I switched to the monitor display and set AFR as one of my displayed items, the AFR displayed didn't match what my XD-16 gauge was showing. Also, when the MAFT Pro is first powered up, it takes over thirty seconds for the AFR to register(long after the LC1 has completed its sensor warm up and is registering AFR). I've wired the LC1 analog output 2(brown) to the 10 pin orange wire, and LC1 analog ground(green) to the 10 pin purple wire. If I disconnect the 6 pin sensor harness from the MAFT Pro and power it up, I get the same AFR value, which leads me to think the wiring isn't correct. I've verified the analog output 2 on my LC1 is working by connecting my multimeter to it and I get 4.95 volts with the ignition on but car not running.

I'm thinking my problem is connecting the LC1's analog ground to the MAFT Pro's 10 pin purple wire. I think both these wires need to be grounded at the same point. The MAFT Pro wiring diagram is sort of misleading in that both these ground wires are shown connected together, but not grounded. Is this my problem? Also, should the AFR show on the MAFT Pro match exactly what is being displayed on the XD-16 gauge? BTW, My LC1/XD-16 combo has been installed over a year and worked flawlessly. I've also verified that the MAFT Pro is configured for an LC1

Last edited:

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
if you read the directions from the lc1, from what i remember you have to ground the two wires at the same point. i just bolted them to the body under the glove box. i have a newer lc1, where there is an extra wire and the wire colors are different.

my maftpro takes the same amount of time to get a reading for afr. both reading should have the same reading if its coming from the same source.

-pete

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Mine did the exact same thing. The issue was a grounding issue. After you go through the process of redoing your grounds as stated. completely start over w/ the initial calibration procedure for your lc-1. unplug the sensor and start from there, i think the full process started on page 8 of the innovate manual.

From there the reading on the maftpro display should be exactly the same as that on the xd-16.

about the latency, mine has always done the same thing. When i turn on the car after the warm up period it will take up to 30 seconds for the AFR to display on the maftpro.

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
I've checked and re-checked everything but am still off. I removed the o2 sensor and performed a free air calibration, and now I'm closer but still don’t have matching results. MAFT Pro is showing + 0.5 to + 0.8 AFR. If I calculate voltage the MAFT Pro is receiving: 4.67, based on the LC1's analog 2 linear output scale, I come up with 20.9, which is what my XD-1 is reading, yet the MAFT Pro shows 21.3 - weird huh?! I guess I'll have to redo my grounds(even though they are all in the same spot)and re-calibrate again. Stay tuned . . . .

americanjebus said:
Mine did the exact same thing. The issue was a grounding issue. After you go through the process of redoing your grounds as stated. completely start over w/ the initial calibration procedure for your lc-1. unplug the sensor and start from there, i think the full process started on page 8 of the innovate manual.

From there the reading on the maftpro display should be exactly the same as that on the xd-16.

about the latency, mine has always done the same thing. When i turn on the car after the warm up period it will take up to 30 seconds for the AFR to display on the maftpro.

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
americanjebus,

I did what you suggested and still have the same results - MAFT Pro and XD-16 don't match. Reconnected both the LC1 grounds and MAFT Pro grounds to the same chassis point, unplugged the LC1 sensor and performed a full recalibration.

MAFT Pro shows 4.67v o2 and 21.3 AFR

LC1/XD-16 displays 20.6 ~ 20.7 AFR

Help anyone???

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
I feel your pain man i know just how frustrating this shit can be. IMO this is the worst thing about the lc-1. Once you get this sorted out its a cake walk.

anyway
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42600&page=2

I tried so many different methods i dont remember which one exactly worked. its a pain in the ass but i used the metal bar behind the dash for my grounds and i grounded the blue wire seperate from the group. I used the bar for all of my grounds but i used seperate lugs.

After trying that i had to back through the recalibration process on the bottom of page 8. http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf

I tried like 3 combos but the issue came from the sensitivity to signal noise caused by the proximity of the individual grounds. You are damn close. Try moving the blue wire to a seperate lug on that bar and doing the calibration. I know its frustrating as hell but once you get it you've got it made. Let us know what worked. If i had my car close by i'd pull the glove box to take a look for you.

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
I've been fighting this for a day and half now - frustrated is the key word for sure! I could have this thing buttoned up and tuning if it wasn't for this issue. I'll move the LC1 blue heater ground to a different spot in the area and do a full recalibration as the LC1 manual states. Cross your fingers . . . Thanks for helping me try to get this sorted out.

americanjebus said:
I feel your pain man i know just how frustrating this shit can be. IMO this is the worst thing about the lc-1. Once you get this sorted out its a cake walk.

anyway
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42600&page=2

I tried so many different methods i dont remember which one exactly worked. its a pain in the ass but i used the metal bar behind the dash for my grounds and i grounded the blue wire seperate from the group. I used the bar for all of my grounds but i used seperate lugs.

After trying that i had to back through the recalibration process on the bottom of page 8. http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf

I tried like 3 combos but the issue came from the sensitivity to signal noise caused by the proximity of the individual grounds. You are damn close. Try moving the blue wire to a seperate lug on that bar and doing the calibration. I know its frustrating as hell but once you get it you've got it made. Let us know what worked. If i had my car close by i'd pull the glove box to take a look for you.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
pb92supraturbo said:
americanjebus,

I did what you suggested and still have the same results - MAFT Pro and XD-16 don't match. Reconnected both the LC1 grounds and MAFT Pro grounds to the same chassis point, unplugged the LC1 sensor and performed a full recalibration.

MAFT Pro shows 4.67v o2 and 21.3 AFR

LC1/XD-16 displays 20.6 ~ 20.7 AFR

Help anyone???

when i set mine up, i grounded the 2 wires from the lc1 onto one lug and the maftpro on another. just make sure to sand down the metal before you tighten the lug. there may be some corrosion or paint on your ground surface.

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
Update!

After running the car for about 15 minutes, my readings were closer, no more than .3 ~ .4 off. According to TurboBob on fullthrottletech, the LC1 is displaying free air content if engine isn't running and hasn't been started recently, while the MAFT Pro is reporting AFR. Kind of makes sense now because the XD-16 display alternates between 'o2' and the actual free air value - duh!

I figured I'd try the wiring diagram on page six of the LC1 manual again. I grounded the 10 pin purple/LC1 green connections to the same ground point for both devices and I'm now within .1 AFR readings. Page 6 of the LC1 installation manual shows this as the proper way to connect an external data logger. I think I'm good to go now. What a pain in the a$$!

BTW, I'm grounding both devices to the passenger side metal substructure under the dash and behind the glove box, with the blue LC1 heater ground on a separate lug. Hopefully, this thread will save someone else some grief . . . Now on to tuning with the MAFT Pro. Thanks for the help guys!

Cliffs Notes version:

Don't freak out when you first connect LC1 to MAFT Pro and the readings are off between both, especially if you haven't run the car in several hours. Start the car and compare AFR readings to determine if you actually have ground issues.