MAFT Pro Issues

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Have been, and still am searching for any information on this.

Before I get to the problems, this is the current setup of the vehicle:
1987 5sp Turbo
2JZ GE-T swap on 7M electronics
MAFT Pro Firmware 5.27 running SD IAT sensor mounted in upper IC pipe before TB, MAP mounted to rear of intake mani with dedicated vacuum line
Using Tuner Pro RT5 for logging and tuning
JDM Automatic Turbo Yellow Plug ECU (was told it came from an 87 as well)
No EGR, no CSI, no pulsation dampener
Factory fuel pump with -6 line from union by D/S motor mount to rail and -6 return from rail to AFPR - also -6 line from AFPR to factory return line
CT26 on custom log mani
USDM 440's from 7MGTE
2.5" hard pipes
Factory IC
Replica Tial 50mm BOV
Factory 7M GTE coil packs mounted on fire wall with accel 8mm DIY wires
Factory elbow and down pipe; cats replaced with straight pipe
HKS Super Dragger Cat back
Boost is stock on factory gate actuator
LC-1 wideband feeding narrow band signal to ECU and wideband signal to MAFT Pro; wideband installed in factory O2 sensor location in elbow
Aeromotive AFPR set to TSRM 7MGTE specs with dedicated vacuum line - no VSV
Factory water gauge is inop (sensor not installed during swap and using autometer electronic gauge)
Factory coolant temp sensor (for ECU) is installed
Factory oil pressure sensor is installed
All 7MGTE parts car from very well running motor that only died from a spun bearing

I'm having some wierd running/drive ability issues with the car since finishing the swap.

1.) No start - intermit. Has done this to me about 6-7 times
Always in the morning (5:15a-5:30a) ambient temps when it fails to start are always sub 80*F but never below 65*F
Due to leaving for work, I do not have time to diagnose anything; I just hop in the wife's car and go after about 2-3 minutes of trying
I can hear the FP kicking in, engine will crank with full power - yet no start. Replaced CPS and igniter with known working units from my last engine that ran great.
Car will always start right up after I get home from work - always

2.) Stalling intermit. - with same time and weather conditions as above
Car will start fine and idle fine. When going to take off engine will rev fine to about 3K and then proceed to stumble and then stall.
Usually does this about two times before I make it to the end of the cul-de-sac(sp). Once on the main road it will smooth out just fine and run like a normal car. Only twice has it continued to attempt to stall or actually stall past my cul-de-sac. AFR's will shoot lean prior to stalling.
Car will stall usually between 1-2 shift when clutch gets depressed. If I let the clutch back out in 2nd gear, it will catch right away and return to normal

3.)AFR's swing from 13.1-17.8 at idle intermit.
at idle occasionally AFR's will make wild swings to the above range.
Also as an occasional issue, AFR's will dip into the 12's and cause a (un)healthy cloud of smoke from tail pipe (raw fuel) AFR's will go back to 14.X shortly after that. Smoke cloud will continue for several (usually 3-7 minutes) after AFR's stabilize at or near 14.7

4.) This is new as of tonight - AFR's at idle steady at 11.5-13.2
after work I went out to the car to attempt to diagnose the no start issue I had this morning. As usual it started right up for me with no hesitations.
Hooked up the laptop to the MAFT Pro to monitor reading and creat a log at idle. At first (prior to starting log) AFR's were steady between 13.8 and 14.9, During this time (after engine was at op temperature) the idle was about 1K. I noticed the VF reading was at about 1.00V - last week I was idling with a 2.3XV VF signal after altering VE table in the idle RPM and Kpa range. After a few minutes of idling the AFR's suddenly dropped into the 10's. Stayed there for about 5-10 secs and rose to about 11.8 Idle dropped to about 675 rpm and aside from the AFR's it idled fine. AFR's stayed rich until I shut the car off to come back inside. Log was recorded during this rich AFR condition

5.) throttle response - midly sluggish with serious lean spike when letting off throttle
during tonight's idle log the throttle response was absolutely horrible. hesitates breifly when accelerator is depressed, and bogs for a quick second or so prior to raising revs. If I ease into the throttle, as if bringing the car to a faster idle, it seems fine on tip in.
Once throttle is released the car will shoot lean rapidly then rapidly back to rich. When the car shoots rich it will stumble and attemp to stall.

6.) Boost AFR's in the mid 12's
Running stock boost levels at around 5-6psi, AFR will frequently see AFR's aroun 12.4-12.5
Occasionally I will see AFR's at the mid 11 mark

I have attached the BIN file and Log. The BIN file was obtained right before coming inside by using the TCPU program to download the BIN to my laptop. The log was recorded with the following weather conditions:
Temp: 80*
Baro: 29.98in
Dew point: 58*
Humidity: 52%

Above info taken from weather.com during log.

I know this is a ton of info to read, but I try to be as thorough as possible when asking for help. If I have forgotten any pertinent information, let me know and I'll post it too. The log will also show a quick lean spike (about 15.9 ish) with no throttle input or anything. That was me updating a minor change to the VE table in an attemp to bring the VF to 2.50V.

What I have done during the course of this MAFT Pro/2J Swap adventure:
Set per 7MGTE TSRM TPS sensor (using 2J sensor)
Set timing to 10* BTDC with T & E1 jumpered
Codes that are present are the typical codes when running MAFT Pro in SD. I also have a constant code 51 for the TPS. I am attributing that code to the fact I am using an Automatic ECU and harness. I did, at one point, have a jumper for the NSW plug (under intake manifold) It was used when the harness was still on my 7MGTE. When it was installed I had no TPS code - this is the basis of my theory on still having a TPS code. I have also swapped the TPS out with another known working unit with the same code still coming up.

Again, I hope this doesn't put anyone to sleep reading it, I just want to make sure I'm describing the full details of the issues and setup.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Also just noticed as I'm trying to put the files into a ZIP to upload, in the folder that I saved the BIN and XDL file, there is a 3rd file with the same name as my log with a .LOG extension??? It's showing me that it should open with innovate Logworks program. What is that about? I threw that into the ZIP as well just incase.

View attachment Supra Log and BIN 7 9 12.zip

BTW, anyone else have issues with tuner pro causing a blue screen crash while logging? I am seriously sick of this crap. I've tried tuner pro rt4 and still the same thing.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Looks like a tuning issue. I knoe Cajun Kenny is experienced with the MAFT Pro, you should send him a PM. He tunes it himself and is still active on the forums.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
IBoughtASupra;1855845 said:
Looks like a tuning issue.

... I know ... LOL

I'm just not sure what or where to go from here. My wife is, well let's just say, not pleased with me taking her car when mine won't start. I'm a little worried I'll end up a "poster child" for the next domestic violence campaign... :1zhelp:

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Again this morning the car failed to start. Temp was 68*. Had an extra few minutes to investigate the problem. Sprayed brake cleaner into intake with no results. FP was heard. I'm looking towards loss of spark when temps are low. What is temp effected in the ignition system?

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2