MAFT Pro install/setup

veedubin

Official SM Decals
I have been searching for months (since purchasing the MAFT Pro even before the swap was started) for some sort of "Official How to" for the MAFT Pro for the 7MGTE.

As most everyone that goes about installing/using this unit spends hours, days, and weeks searching all over the net for the most up to date and relevant information.

I am still in the phase of searching and sorting the BS from the truth. I haven't found any thread like this on SM. I think this would be a great sticky thread idea.

So does anything like this exist? The MAFT Pro sticky thread that is listed seems to be full of dead links and out of date info.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
ifyouaint1sturlast;1845427 said:
I would talk to CajunKenny and also pay a visit to FullThrottleTech.com forums :)

Full throttle is the main site I've been seeing the conflicting info on. Threads are just as, if not older than those found on SM.

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

veedubin

Official SM Decals
ifyouaint1sturlast;1845497 said:
When I had my 7M and I did mine I just looked for a 7M ECU pinout and the MAFT pinout and did the math.

Found this: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/661/maftpromanual.png

Finding the wiring schematics was the easy part. I'm more talking about the actual tuning and programming of the system. It would be nice to have a "step by step" guide to setting up and base tuning procedures.
Plus to make my situation even more "interesting" I've got a 2jZGE-t running on 7M electronics. And in theory, it should be identical to tuning for the 7M, but I'm not having any luck.

Oh well. More diggin, searching, and trial and error.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
Wish I was in PA for you. I'd have it running in a day.

I can admit I had a huge issue finding docs on getting the tuning program running correctly. I actually have my old laptop hard drive in the closet with all of the program on it. Let me know if you want me to try and salvage some stuff for you. I'm the type to save everything useful in a single folder, so there may be gold on there.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
ifyouaint1sturlast;1845818 said:
Wish I was in PA for you. I'd have it running in a day.

I can admit I had a huge issue finding docs on getting the tuning program running correctly. I actually have my old laptop hard drive in the closet with all of the program on it. Let me know if you want me to try and salvage some stuff for you. I'm the type to save everything useful in a single folder, so there may be gold on there.

If you have any info relating to software v5.00 or newer or info for tuner Pro RT5 I'm very much interested. I figured out a few other little issues that need addressed before I can delve back into the MAFT side of things. I should have all those sorted out by Saturday morning. After that though, back to the banging of the head against the steering wheel LOL

Right now, my main issues with getting this thing tuned are finding acceptable/driveable base settings. I'm essentially running a stock 7MGTE (CT26 &440's) with a 2J block and head. I tried it messing around with the tune that was on there when I got the unit. It was purchased used and have no idea what the previous owners setup was. It got it started first try, but pig rich. I've since performed the data reset on the MAFT pro unit. I tried a startup with the default factory setup and it did start. But even with the 440's I was sitting about 13.2-13.6 AFR. Due to lack of time, I started pulling the mainscale just to see how much was required to actually get to a close to stoich idle. I ended up with -17% or something like that. Mind you all other user tunes for low,mid, and high were all @ 0%. So now I'm curious as to why I need to pull 17% to get a close to 14.7 AFR at idle????

Any chance you'de be free for a phone call over the weekend???? :1zhelp: LOL

Who knows I could magically fix everything just by staring at it tomorrow...

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
im in the same exact boat as you
from what another member has told me the mainscale should be zero with stock size injectors
have you gone to fullthrottletech.com or turboninjas.com
good info there

right now im having a issue with getting my vf signal to work
for some reason its lazy lol

veedubin

Official SM Decals
jonahs_supra;1846132 said:
im in the same exact boat as you
from what another member has told me the mainscale should be zero with stock size injectors
have you gone to fullthrottletech.com or turboninjas.com
good info there

right now im having a issue with getting my vf signal to work
for some reason its lazy lol

Nice to know I'm not the only one. I can't even get my VF reading to show on screen.... will dig into that more this weekend. The other real big issue I'm stuck on is throttle response. I cannot get it right to save my life. I'm actually beginning to wonder if the TPS itself didn't bunk out or something. Oh well that's what this weekend is all about

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
update for my problem
when i 1st installed maft pro i had a stupid attack and used butt connectors to put all my wires together
well last night when i was going to leave work i tried to adjust my map and screwed everything all up lol
i was going to remove maft pro and then diagnose my weird vf signal and poor running condition
when i went to look at my ecu wires i found E1 on harness side had broken off

an hour later i had everything soldered and heat shrunk together
now my vf is better and i can actually drive the car in closed loop with decent afr's in the 14.3-15.0 cruising down the highway at 2500rpm
now my VE table is still jacked up thanks to ME

veedubin

Official SM Decals
jonahs_supra;1846257 said:
also your VF signal is under aux in the sensor screen

Thanks! I was thinking it was one of the aux fileds, but wasn't 100% sure on it.

So update; Adjusted TPS and it now runs like a cheeta on crack! :D Still has issue that need to be tuned out, but still amazing as it is.
BTW I don't think my neighbors like me anymore..... I live in a cul de sac, and have been using it for the past few days to drive up and down to log some data with. After the TPS adjustment I knew it was running better, but I went to take off and she broke the grip of the 275's....... in 2 gears..... :evil2:Had to stop at second as I was running out of room :naughty:

So all-in-all today was awesome. Now I can actually dive into the tuning part of this adventure. I am a bit confused though. My VF is reading at a stable 0.00V and AFR is at 14.8-15.1 at idle. I've already got 15% pulled on the main scale. I really don't want to pull anymore due to inducing some leaner than desired AFR's. Any thoughts on this one? I am in the middle of reading about the VF and tuning around it. I'm thinking that the VE table needs tweaked to allow the VF to go back to a normal 2.5V state. Am I correct on this one?

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Seems like me and you are at the same point lol
As much as I have read and interpretted the user tunes are for pretty much getting your vf to be happy
Then do some match and add that number to your ve cell

If you find any more info let me know

veedubin

Official SM Decals
jonahs_supra;1846387 said:
Seems like me and you are at the same point lol
As much as I have read and interpretted the user tunes are for pretty much getting your vf to be happy
Then do some match and add that number to your ve cell

That was my initial thoughts on the whole system. But after reading (a lot) more into it, The mainscale is a simple overall ballpark method of tuning. Once the mainscale is "close" then you can start in on the user tunes. Log a run, review the log and add or subtract fuel in the user tunes according to High,Mid,Low based on MAP reading. Once AFR's are stabalized to your liking, then the VE tuning comes into play. Log a run, review the log paying attention to what VE cell the discrepencies are occurring in and alter/smooth the VE table to allow the TCCS VF to stabilize at a "happy place" Once all that's through, then play with PTT and Target AFR.

BTW if this is wrong, anyone is more than welcome to correct me. But that's what I've understood from the research I've done lately.

jonahs_supra;1846387 said:
If you find any more info let me know

Will do, and same back to you.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
veedubin;1846426 said:
That was my initial thoughts on the whole system. But after reading (a lot) more into it, The mainscale is a simple overall ballpark method of tuning. Once the mainscale is "close" then you can start in on the user tunes. Log a run, review the log and add or subtract fuel in the user tunes according to High,Mid,Low based on MAP reading. Once AFR's are stabalized to your liking, then the VE tuning comes into play. Log a run, review the log paying attention to what VE cell the discrepencies are occurring in and alter/smooth the VE table to allow the TCCS VF to stabilize at a "happy place" Once all that's through, then play with PTT and Target AFR.

BTW if this is wrong, anyone is more than welcome to correct me. But that's what I've understood from the research I've done lately.

Will do, and same back to you.

exactly as i have been understanding from extensive reading
but i did find a little issue today
i have my user tune low set to zero on the 400-800 area after adjusting my ve table for the ve cells
my afr is a nice 14.7 but every once and a while after sitting to long it will go to 16 or 17
take off from a stop and its fine
im pretty sure my IAT sensor is heat soaking
its mounted in the 3000 pipe
so this weekend i will be moving my IAT sensor to the IC piping near the passenger fender well

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
The reason most people had problems with it in the past was because once you get the tune PERFECT the TCCS randomly would decide to switch closed/open loop and your AFRs would go haywire..

You either need to find a way to trick it to stay in one mode all the time, or tune your asses off..

Either way, I would monitor the ECU output to ensure the mode hasn't changed when your idle AFRs move like that.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
thanks for the links
ill be playing with my ve table this weekend
from what i understand the VF signal isnt as fast to respond as the AFR coming from the aem uego
so add heat, confusion, regret, frustation and impatience
i was fucking up a lot lol

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
I bought my MAFT Pro from somebody that had enabled the unit for timing, I'm not ready for this yet? Is there a way to disable this option? Would changing F-In to 0 and switching all timing parameters to 0 disable timing? Thanks in advance