Maft isc/idling blowthrough questions

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
So what are people usually doing for idle control when running maft basic in blowthrough? Im thinking its down to either blocking off isc and just cracking the throttle open, or will the isc valve hold against boost when closed if tapped in to intercooler pipe after maf but before tb?
Thanks.

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
hvyman;1765127 said:
Just put a filter on the end.

Wont this be unmetered air then? Im not doubting that this will work, dont get me wrong, I just thought that it got its original isc feed from the intake boot so that it was metered air through afm. or does it meter air through isc also?

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
you have to put the ISC hose in between the GM sensor and your TB. I had mine in the stock location and it wouldnt idle for shit. But then i put it inbetween the sensor and TB and it idles great.

hope it helps.

spooln30

Sep 28, 2006
milwaukee,WI
Sorry but is this for a Maft Pro? The 4 maft pros I've installed on customers MK3's I just put a k&n in the IAC, then just adjusted the idle settings.

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
This is maft basic, that was my thought originally, that the isc needs to draw after the sensor to meter correctly. but if people just put a breather on and adjust il try that. thanks much.

One more dumb question. I finally got my maft after a month wait from the manufacturer, and I notice it has a 3 wire connector already on the wiring. I was under the impression that I was supposed to use late model gm 5 wire maf..... confused. Is this meant for the 3 wire earlier mafs with a separate intake temp sensor???? Im just confused because it also has about 1 foot of wiring from the box to the connector which wouldnt reach anyway so I almost think this is just some retarded thing they did to it and want to disregard it. However now I cant remember/find where I read that you use a 5 wire maf. So dumb question: 3 wire or 5 wire maf with maft basic?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
gm used seperate IAT and MAF sensors which is this MAF

gm-maf.jpg

the newer 5 wire is this one

maf_sensor_ls1_5wire.jpg

alternatly, if you have the 5 wire plug,
http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/9/products_id/1051

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
yea, so my question is which does it mean me to use.... It seems to be the 3 wire one with separate intake temp sensor, but, the maft wiring they sent me doesnt have a wire in and a wire out for intake temp.

It has the 3 pin plug for the 3wire maf
white wire for rpm reading
grey for hac
pink for power to everything,
disregard purple for now
and then 3 wires to insert into the stock afm connector that have male pins crimped onto them, to go to E2, KS, and THA.

SO im confused cuz theres no extra wires to get a reading and provide power and ground etc. to the external intake gm temp sensor, only a wire gonig towards ecu that is a temp output.....

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
I guess Im gonna call em tomorrow, clarify things, but Im just wondering if any one else who has used this product could chime in. at this point i see that im supposed to use 3 wire gm maf by the connector they installed, but could also use 5 wire by cutting and making it work. however cant use either intake temp sensor whether its built in, (5 wire) or separate (3 wire) because theres no wires into translator for intake temp, only one going out to ecu. so unless the translator box somehow extrapolates intake temp info to tell the ecu using the airflow signal, hac simulator, and whatever maf housing size inputs you tell it, I dont see how this will work.....

WillWorkFoBoost

that guy
Sep 1, 2009
Maine
Yea, so got it running drawthrough, it ran awful no matter how I adjusted it blowthrough with a cone filter on the isc, Dunno whos done this but its unmetered air so it instantly stalls out. so i got it goin drawthrough in factory afm location with isc drawing off stock pipe.

Question, since the maft basic and gm maf setup doesnt have a provision for an intake temp sensor reading, has anyone thought of/ tried to use the factory afms air intake temp sensor just in the enginebay or something to increase accuracy of tune? Does anyone know what the translator does with the intake temp wire that is going to the ecu? extrapolates a fictional intake temp or just resistors it out so the ecu doesnt worry about it?