MAFT and NEO

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
im currently running a Maft gen 1 on my 7mgte but with plans of a GT35R and 264 cams in my future i deff need to install my Apexi NEO or other???. im wondering how many ppl are running these 2 piggy backs w/ the stock ECU. are you able to get a good tune out of this or shoul i be looking into a different set up with my Maft? with the larger turbo and cams coming am i asking for trouble. thanks

mods just for refference.
stock internals
HKS 1.2mm
ARP head studs
550s
2.5 IC piping
front mount IC
3" turbo back
adj cam gears
HKS SSQV
MAFT
AFPR
stock ct26
will be adding GT35R and 264s

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The Neo is just a newer version of the SAFC as far as I know. If you have a decent tune with the maft, install the Neo, initialize it, and take it to a shop with a dyno and have them tune it.

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
standalone is mega $$$ and im sure its probly worth it but again its alot of money. do you have something else in mind?

i know the neo is just a newer version, i just happen to come across a neo for a good price so i picked it up.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Yes they are altering the same signal but the gen1 maft has very little tuning ability. It's main purpose is to use the GM MAF and do away with the KV AFM. That is why he is using the NEO for tuning.

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
isnms;1153584 said:
Yes they are altering the same signal but the gen1 maft has very little tuning ability. It's main purpose is to use the GM MAF and do away with the KV AFM. That is why he is using the NEO for tuning.

yes. my intentions were to do both to fine tune due to how vague the maft is. for now its ok, i have AFR's of 10.9-12.6, somtimes hitting 13. a little rich at times but never too lean. when i go with the larger turbo and 264 cams is when im going to be worried.

instead of the neo (which i could always sell) ill look into the ones that you guys have suggested. any other info would be great. thanks alot.

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
honestly cant see spending that much money on a standalone. there are alot of extras that i will never use and probly dont need. piggy backs work for what they are and thats all this car will really need. but it does need a good one.

i already have a boost controler also so theres one more thing i dont need the computer to do.

mapecu looks pretty good. still reading...................

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
You realize that piggybacks just lie to the TCCS and even the MAFT you have is lying too. There comes a point when you will be affecting timing. What I'm saying is the piggyback has it's limit. IIRC it is somewhere between 300-500hp (don't quote me"). If you plan on making more than that with your larger turbo and cams then look into the other suggestions.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
83restomod;1153628 said:
honestly cant see spending that much money on a standalone. there are alot of extras that i will never use and probly dont need. piggy backs work for what they are and thats all this car will really need. but it does need a good one.

i already have a boost controler also so theres one more thing i dont need the computer to do.

mapecu looks pretty good. still reading...................

A little off topic...are you set up in "blow-thru" or pre-turbo w/ your MAFT?

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
bryanintexas;1153692 said:
A little off topic...are you set up in "blow-thru" or pre-turbo w/ your MAFT?

pre turbo and venting HKS SSQV to atmosphere. (wrong set up???)

as far as power i will be more then happy with the 400 zone. 375-425 in a mk2 is pleeeeenty. i take everyones advise and look into it as far as my brain will understand, then i ask questions. so thank you guys so far. its slowly gettin there.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
ForcedTorque;1153682 said:
^This mans advice carries wore weight than 99.5% or more of the advice I see on this forum

Thanks Forced. A little high on the percentage :D but thanks.

Oh, and 83restomod, venting metered air has it's own repercussions when still using stock TCCS.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Well if 400 is the most power you are looking for, maybe what you originally planned is best. A piggyback would be perfect for that. Maft pro has the ability to run in speed density, ditching the afm or maf in the process which means you also never have to worry about popping an intercooler pipe. Mapecu can do the same but it is normally used on newer vehicles such as the mk4. It also looks like maftpro has more tech support on this site.

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I am running a maft and SAFC. It works great. If your hp goals aren't extremely high, then keep what you have until you NEED something bigger. There is nothing wrong with your setup. Mine has worked great for years and it will be a while before I need something else.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
i didnt kow the maft was that useless for tunning. I understand the use of it i just thought it was tunable or to a greater level.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
MAFT (maf translator) is a very basic tool, and not very easy to use. you can go into RPM tuning mode with it, but its not easy to use. Its very easily used with an SAFC though to help tune out the fuel, but the MAFT does make setting the idle pretty nice as it has different injector sizes built in, you just turn a knob.

Its not an ideal setup... but for a street car it should work fine.

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
it took a while to get my MAFT set up so that my AFR's were in a good range. and thats on stock turbo with just wastegate. didnt turn the boost controler on cause i wanted put some baby miles on the fresh motor.

i realized whenever i would lift off the throttle allowing the bov to open my wideband would instantly go rich to 10s. is that the problem you guys are talking about? i can just get a adapter for it and recircluate it if it would help (sure it would)

o and gt35r (62mm compressor and not sure of the A/R on exhaust) too big for the 400 hp goal? thanks again, and again.