MAF Translator Pro - what do you think

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
Has anyone seen this http://www.maftpro.com/info.shtml ? GrimJack especially that has the most experience with the maft. Would you think that'll work on the 7mgte? If yes then it's quite promising cause from what I read this could handle quite some air/fuel tuning as it provides enough adjustability and therefore no other air/fuel piggyback would be needed (afc, afr etc).

Last edited:
There was a thread on SF (gasp!) about it a little while back. The general conclusion was that it will work with the 7m. Malloynx purchased it and I think a few others may have, but I have not heard anything new recently about them recieving/installing it. I hardly ever go to SF, so there may be updates. Full Throttle has a forum and they are quite helpful on there with any specific questions. I know the question of its compatability with the 7m came up and the creators said that it would work fine.

I will be using it with my To4b when I get all of the parts to install it. I already have a 3" GM air flow sensor and I will be running it in blow-through mode just like the maf-translator.

The MAFT-Pro also has boost controlling cababilities when you use a GM boost soleniod with it. I will be using that at well.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
yea, i pre-ordered it like 45 days ago. it still hasn't been released yet. as soon as i get it, i'm going to install it and do a full write-up.

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
malloynx said:
yea, i pre-ordered it like 45 days ago. it still hasn't been released yet. as soon as i get it, i'm going to install it and do a full write-up.

Malloynx what else do you need for it? Is it just a map sensor and an air temp sensor with their harnesses or do you need anything else? I've checked the fullthrottlespeed support forum and apart from your question answered there, nothing else is exactly stated if there is data supporting the 7mgte. Have you talked with them any further about compatibility issues? And have they given you an estimated date of production of the unit?

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i called them and thet assured me it will work fine for the 7m. your going to need the map sensor, iat sensor and the harnesses. total should be around 500$.

as far as release, all i'm hearing is very soon.

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
So with the MafT Pro capabilities, assuming that it would be fully compatible with the 7mgte, a standalone's need is minimized. Right? I mean I know that you can do and control heap loads with an AEM for instance but with the MafT Pro you eliminate most if not all limitations and can tune with it to compensate as well. I hope I'm not getting overexcited here...

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
the maftpro is going to be a good tool. i got it mainly to convert to MAP
(speed-density) i wouldn't put it on the same field as a standalone.

i'm going to be ditching my afc as well since the maftpro will adjust fuel as well. you can also hook a wideband up to these babies.

what's really cool is this unit will interface with windows and you can do all your adjustments via laptop.

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
I spoke with Bob, the Full Throttle Speed electronics wizard and he sounded very promising. This indeed is going to be a great tool. Obviously not as potent as a standalone but surely the next best and cheaper thing to it. I just have to wait for your impressions malloynx :naughty:

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
malloynx said:
the maftpro is going to be a good tool. i got it mainly to convert to MAP
(speed-density) i wouldn't put it on the same field as a standalone.

i'm going to be ditching my afc as well since the maftpro will adjust fuel as well. you can also hook a wideband up to these babies.

what's really cool is this unit will interface with windows and you can do all your adjustments via laptop.

Controls boost too.......

:)

Bob

B

bbaacchhyy

So, has anyone got one yet ?

I added my address to the mailing list and have yet to receive anything :icon_conf

I can't wait to see more data about it for sure.

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
turbobob said:
Controls boost too.......

Bob

Hey Bob, is that a freshly added new feature? I didn't know it would control boost too. Or is it some kind of a software upgrade? Any news about an official production/availability date yet?

Oper8or

Apr 21, 2005
Greenback, TN.
malloynx said:
That is because you are the man. I've always read your threads with interest. :) Here and on the other REAL supra forums.. or should I say,, "celica/supra" forums :evil2:

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
IMO do you really wanna run your engine on a speed density managment system? what about the fun of power slideing across parking lots? dont engines run on air and fuel. well you can deliver all the fuel you want, but how about the air to make it burn? lets move more! more air = mass air flow. just a thought though........

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
boost fiend said:
IMO do you really wanna run your engine on a speed density managment system? what about the fun of power slideing across parking lots? dont engines run on air and fuel. well you can deliver all the fuel you want, but how about the air to make it burn? lets move more! more air = mass air flow. just a thought though........

Hey boost fiend can you elaborate on your thought please? I'm a sucker for power sliding, would the map sensor spoil that in any way?

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
yannis-supras said:
Hey Bob, is that a freshly added new feature? I didn't know it would control boost too. Or is it some kind of a software upgrade? Any news about an official production/availability date yet?

It was always in the plan, we just didn't know if the feature would make the first release.

Just add cable and solenoid.

There is a screenshot over at fullthrottletech

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
yannis-supras said:
Hey boost fiend can you elaborate on your thought please? I'm a sucker for power sliding, would the map sensor spoil that in any way?

I'm not sure what he is thinking of, by removing the MAF/MAS the turbo lag is reduced and the car gets very responsive.

Bob

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Too much neato stuff coming out.

This is what I've been looking for. Just set it and forget it AF ratios and let the WB and sensors determine the fuel trim at WOT.

Easy, and you can ditch the AFM?

I notice Greddy has something similar now too... Dang all it takes is money eh?

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
Oper8or said:
That is because you are the man. I've always read your threads with interest. :) Here and on the other REAL supra forums.. or should I say,, "celica/supra" forums :evil2:

thank you for the kind words. I'M STILL WAITING ON THIS THING. they are starting to ship slowly. i guess i was pretty low on the list. it has to be real close cause i was contacted the other day, i think they are trying to finalize my order.

stay tuned---also after i install this i'm heading straight to the dyno and i'm going to set the record for the sp61gt. :evil2:

7mpower; i hope your ready for me :icon_razz