maf located before the tb?

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
I was searching youtube and found a 7mgte swaped into a 240sx and the maf was located in the charge pipe before the tb rather than before the turbo running on stock 7mgte electronics.Can this be done without serious running issues?I didnt think the kv maf would work as a bolow through setup. http://youtu.be/DS7T2alKHwY

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Will not work. The Karmen Vortex AFM creates a digital signal based on the speed of the incoming air. After the turbo, the speed is different, I believe slower but not 100% sure. In any case, the difference in speed will cause different signals from the AFM causing it to not run right.
-AM3

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
nope definitely 7M. Look at the upper water neck. Dead giveaway. The 2jzge has the waterneck on the intake side and is a pretty much straight shot into the radiator

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
yeah wont work. it will idle fine and rev in neutral, but it will hit limp home mode once under load. as far as i know the hot wire MAF (gm style) is only one that will work pre and post turbo (with the MAFT translator)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It'll work, it'll just run like crap and the AFM will quickly fair from oil vapor.

Blow through always sucks (or should I say blows....)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Another MkIII;1749413 said:
Will not work. The Karmen Vortex AFM creates a digital signal based on the speed of the incoming air. After the turbo, the speed is different, I believe slower but not 100% sure. In any case, the difference in speed will cause different signals from the AFM causing it to not run right.
-AM3

The AFM cannot account for density, That is the problem with the stock AFM after the turbo.

As BIO Said GM MAF sensors will work properly. AFM's sense CFM flow. The difference is when under pressure the amount of oxygen in a volume of air can vary drastically. At 15 PSI theres double the oxygen in the same cubic foot of air. This is why turbos are measured in LBS/min instead of CFM. Temperature and pressure change the density of the air too greatly for just a volume measurement to suffice.

MAF sensors can account for density and pressure as the density of the air changed the effect of how much heat the air can retain. Those sensors work off that principal.