Machine Shop Quote

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey guys

Went down to a machine shop in Ottawa Ontario to have my head cleaned and resurfaced, block cleaned and decked, cylinders honed,, and crank cleaned up. I have a friend who's been using him for years for race builds so he was recommended. I called a couple local places just to get a price estimate, I just received my quote for the work from the shop in Ottawa and it tallied out at ~1000 before tax, which was quite a bit higher than the other shops I checked in with!

Do you have any thoughts on how the pricing is? I personally have zero experience at machine shops

Thanks

image.jpg

Last edited:

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
Usually that price will also get you balancing but as far as work goes. You should always go with the reputable shop that you know puts out a good product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
That's overall reasonable. I think it's more important to find a good shop you can trust to do good work. Reliable, good machining is worth more than what most shops will charge, even on the high end. On the flip side, poor machining can cost you ruined heads, blocks, lost time, money, etc...

If you have reason to believe that shop is reliable and trustworthy, those are more than fair prices.

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Alright thanks guys, I gave him the go ahead to do the work minus the flywheels as I'm going to get a whole new clutch kit, he also agreed to let me pay cash and skip out on the taxes. My teacher has toured all over with his drag car(69 Barracuda runs 9.4 in the quarter) and always had his work done here, my only worry is that the majority of his work is American muscle, which is more tolerant to rougher surfaces etc. But he assured me that he has done his fair share of 7m's in his shop.

I also visited his shop and although some of his tools were old (he's been around the block haha) he was very organized and clean so that made me feel better, also got a sneak peak at a prestine Chevy 409 perfectly built to oem spec for a show car for a farmer in Chicago!