Machine or new?

Blue MKiii FTW

Jul 10, 2011
Florida
I have a 89 7mge and i spun #1 bearing. I then replaced the rod bearings in hope of a quick fix but of course that didnt work and i spun #1 again now i am wondering is it cheaper to have the crank and rods sent to a machine shop or buy a new crank and set of rods. Also where would be a good place to get a new crank?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just have the machine shop measure the crank or find a good used one. Toyota would be the only place I'd ever think about trusting for a new one.

Rods should be able to be reused just look for one good used one on here to replace the one you spun on.

Blue MKiii FTW

Jul 10, 2011
Florida
ive been busy the last 2 days and didnt get to touch my car. but i talked to a few guys at a meet and they said im better off just rebuilding the whole engine or just doin a swap. ive been wanting to do a 1j swap but i need to save up some money only got 1500 saved so far so it will be a little time if i go that route. and im not 100% on what caused the first one to go but it was the stock bearings (i think) on a 127k motor that i beat up pretty much every day.