M/T Drive Shaft adn NON turbo M/T Drive Shaft

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I have been looking and I have not seen any differences with a non turbo M?T drive Shaft, compared to a Turbo M?T drive shaft? is there a difference? More power may require a better Drive shaft?

Thanks guys!

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
IJ.;1146317 said:
Same same

Oh thank you, I guess that is a good thing for me I need one.. and it's only 60.00 I forgot what a ( turbo M/T ) one runs for as we all know a lot more.

Thank you Ij. For your help there.

:) much appreciated

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
IJ.;1146317 said:
Same same

thats wierd IJ, I had just changed the back half of the DS because the one that was originally on there was too short (by an inch) and it caused the carrier bearing to be pulled back. so i found a different DS from an R154 and it fixed the problem.

edit: I have an AT.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
The W58 output shaft has fewer splines and is smaller OD than the R154 output shaft. Drive shafts are not interchangeable because of that. The differential flange is the same.

Asterix

Last edited:

too_stand

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Campton Kentucky
3 different driveshafts in mk3's....na m/t has smaller diameter spline shaft going into tranny and entire shaft except for yoke bolting onto differential are of a smaller gauge pipe. Turbo automatic driveshafts have same diameter pipe as m/t turbo and same spline gears but they are a different length in the forward half, the rear half of auto and m/t shaft is identical.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
All rear half of the shafts are the same.
Then there are 3 front halfs.

R154 5-speed Turbo
W58 5-speed N/A
A340E Automatic Turbo and N/A

The yoke that goes into the transmission is the same size on the R154 and A340E, however the shafts are different lengths.

Jeff

IGGYWOOWOO

Dec 5, 2009
ATX
Can anyone give me better specifics regarding the W58 shaft VS the R154 shaft. I just purchased what I was told was a turbo manual drive shaft, but I swear that it does not want to go onto my r154. Is there a measurement that I can take?

EDIT: it appears that the in side max spline width on the shaft is 27.4mm while the output shaft of the R154 is 30.1mm.

Thanks,

Brandon

too_stand

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Campton Kentucky
It sounds like you ended up with a W58 driveshaft. The R154 driveshaft and the automatic driveshaft ( either turbo or na ) are hard to tell apart at a glance as the front yoke and diameter of the piping are the same,( there is only a couple inches difference in the lenght of the front half of the shaft) however the W58 is an obvious differnce in looks as it is constructed with a small diameter piping.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
The w-58 forward section will look like a fabricated piece of pipe and is all one diameter. The turbo forward section looks to be made of true driveshaft tubing like the rear section and varies in diameter.