Luck with jdm 7m's

Erkenz

Apr 25, 2006
Michigan
I got rodknock, now I'm really contemplating getting a jdm 7m from one of the many engine importers. Just wondering if anyone's had good luck going that route.

Thanks, Eric

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
there's good and bad you could end up buy a jdm engine that has rod knock or it could be perfect either way its better to rebuild a jdm motor anyways. so why spend a g on a used motor when you could easily rebuild yours for that or cheaper.

Erkenz

Apr 25, 2006
Michigan
My local machine shop is telling me it will cost upwards of $2800 for a rebuild. The rebuild kit alone is $1200 from toyota.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
you can find clevite bearings much cheaper and felpro gasket kits for like 250$. just have him machine the block and head for a mhg with arp head studs and your golden. shouldnt be more than 1500-2k including parts.

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
there is alot of jdm 7m hate. Funny thing is almost all the people that get their 1j 2j from jdm importers too. Anyways I had one from soshin and it worked for me no bhg no rod knock for the 20k miles I drove it. I just dont think that the japanese take care of their cars quite like we do. When I got my jdm it had some burnt stinky oil in it. but everything turned out good for me.

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
i just did a non turbo to gte swap and orderd my 7mgte from jdm engine depot in kearny nj. It was 1000 shipped with extras, harness igniter even the stock intercooler piping etc etc etc.

When drained the oil was pure sticky black and upon startup it had a leaking not blown head gasket and no thermostat so the previous owner new it was overheating and i assume removed the thermostat to try and fix it.

Brand new hg and arp bolts later no issues so far.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^lol

all the importers say the run the engines before they get to you. well it runs does it knock? the stock hg wasnt torqued enough so the hg blows and you get rod knock. plus japan used to swap motors instead of fixing them. why would they care if there oil was clean?

cmdeoro

VRROOOMMM!!!!!!.....PSSH!
Jan 21, 2009
Miami
LilMissMkIII;1262171 said:
Did I miss a memo stating that JDM engines are better than USDM????????

For real thats what I was saying the whole time reading this thread.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
I think the people flock to JDM motors because most wrecking yards in the US (not a "you pick it") want to charge a fortune for parts. Hell, i'm looking at car-part.com and there is a listing for 1989 "7MGTE, RUNS PERFECT" 120,000 for $2000. Why buy a motor from one of these people for the insane money they want, when you can get a reasonably priced motor that usually has decent mileage for half that? Sure, you have to swap over your sensors, etc but still. A 7M is a 7M regardless of what part of the world its built for.

Hell, I try and buy JDM motors just to stick it to these junk yards that are out to rob the average person.