LSD Rebuild?

WeirPerformance

Jul 9, 2009
CA, USA
1SLW7M;1404630 said:
*bump*

any news on that spring yet spence?

We have the 1500 lb. spring set up in a car already, it locks very hard and does not do the one tire fire any longer. We are still working on the street/strip set up. We will test both spring set ups for break away torque readings with properly shimmed clutches and post up here on supramania soon.

Spence Weir
Weir Performance
707-315-6638

WeirPerformance

Jul 9, 2009
CA, USA
1SLW7M;1404630 said:
*bump*

any news on that spring yet spence?

*UPDATE*

We have just installed what we consider our street kit into a customers LSD. This LSD unit had a break away torque of under 30 ft. lbs. and a rotating torque of only 10 ft. lbs. before we installed our MAXGRIP kit. With our added spring and correct shimming of the LSD we reached an initial break away torque over 100 ft. lbs. and a rotating torque at an even 100 ft. lbs.

We estimate the spring adds another 200 lbs. of spring force, reaching 750lbs. total in combination with the O.E.M. spring. We will check this on our spring tester to get a more accurate number soon. Thanks

Our next step is to write up instructions on how to install the kit and correctly shim the LSD. When we have this done we will post up prices for the kits, (street & track) or (drag, drift and 4X4).

Spence Weir
Weir Performance
707-315-6638

WeirPerformance

Jul 9, 2009
CA, USA
MA70 Ed;1460361 said:
how many splines do the shafts have?

i'm thinking about getting the ARB air locker.

The stub shafts have 30 splines. The ARB air locker may not fit the supra IRS, I am not sure. If you do try it, make sure you get one for a front IFS. The truck rear locker will not work in the supra IRS.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
I know Nissan put the same diff that went in Z's and ZX's in the front of the trucks and turned it upside down so it was reverse rotation also. It was the only way to get cheap lower gear ratios as Nissan wanted over $800 back in the day for a Ring and Pinion. I never ran one for any length of time to see if it would last, but it did make an NA car a bit faster.

Cool, anxious to hear if this is the same internal components. The ARB would be cool for the drag strip and possibly drifting. It would suck for the track/road course.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
I don't see a need for anything aftermarket here. Use the older spring, new toyota clutches and shim the diff testing the breakaway torque as I described in my supraforums thread. ~80 ft/lbs is perfect for street strip and will handle a lot of power. Use a standard 75-90 gear oil. My diff has been holding up great, I drive my car to and from the track (and race it a lot), the car put down 680 at the wheels,runs 295 50 16 drag radial which is almost 28" tall and weighs 3715. You could achieve more breakaway torque shimming the diff more on this spring, but I didn't see a point in driving around on a pretty much locked diff.

There is nothing left to do on these diffs, they work great. The ring and pinion on the other hand is too small to hit hard.

I have pics of the two different spings next to each other I'll post up shortly.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
The spring you want is on the right:

p1460548_1.jpg

p1460548_2.jpg

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
joliroger4;1460533 said:
I don't see a need for anything aftermarket here. Use the older spring, new toyota clutches and shim the diff testing the breakaway torque as I described in my supraforums thread....
Could you post a link here, to that thread so we don't have to go have to go looking? I suck at searching. Hell maybe it was posted earlier in this thread but Im too lazy to go look again. LOL.

I agree 85 ft/lbs of breakaway is PERFECT!!!

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
sorry to interrupt the discussion, but does this information apply to LSDs in an auto as well? The only maintenance I have done on my diff was change the oil, and I have never really noticed anything odd from the rear end, and the one burnout I did, both wheels spun. I am planning on upping the power with my current rebuild, and a friend told me I shouldn't have to worry about the diff at all... just curious if I should do anything to my diff.....

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
I have a torsen but will be going back to a clutch type. It went right in without issues or different output shafts so I guess its type 2? It worked very well but I hated smoking the inside wheel on hard corners.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Raven97990;1788737 said:
I have a torsen but will be going back to a clutch type. It went right in without issues or different output shafts so I guess its type 2? It worked very well but I hated smoking the inside wheel on hard corners.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

you have the OBX torsen? other than it being a torsen how did you like it?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
cusco or kazz or other

looking at stocker I will never ever go back to that pile of flaky 1 way pile of piss