LSD Question

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I just installed LSD last night... the pumpkin was marked LSD and the 'wheels' both turn the same way....

i did a burn out leaving work and my coworker said only one tire spun???? That's what I was trying to get away from...

what could be the problem here?

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
lifesnotfair said:
You left work in your Supra? Then why do you say it's not a daily driver? =P

I didn't say it wasn't my daily, I just said they don't belong in the same sentance :)

When I did the turbo swap I was out a car for about 5 months... that's why I said it :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
johnathan1 said:
I recall Aaron saying that they could be rebuilt, and it wasn;t too horribly expensive...

Could his one wheel spin issue be caused by starting to peel out while turning slightly also??
Yes. It is a limited slip, not a no slip.

A perfectly functioning LSD can have two different length tire marks. Uneven torque is applied to the wheels. But you could just be overpowering the worn unit.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
You could've put in way too much slip additive when you last changed the oil. IMO, off-the-shelf gear oil has too much. Try using one quart of Redline NS and top the rest off with their regular with additive. Alternatively, fill with NS, then add slip fluid 1/2 teaspoon at a time until it's quiet.

Asterix

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i do that with red line but not a tea spoon but 25% of the bottel then i try it out then add tiny bit more then i golden

i may ask why jaws gear is why vavloin

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
edi: http://www.mkiiitech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40

Sounds like its worn out to me... I got a diff from someone online and even though it had a lot of mileage on it, I used exactly what the manual said as far as gear oil and it hardly slips at all in straight line acceleration. Although the damn thing vibrates I think... so it needs adjusting in a different way, lol.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
edi said:
damn, that sucks. well, i guess its something to look forward to. upgradeing the LSD to a 2 way.

If you are thinking about buying a torsen (Japanese version)...I'll warn you now, the side shafts inside the differential are different. Also, Jaws Gear has been experimenting with the OBX version with less than good results. I ended up replacing my LSD carrier with a TRD 2 way; clutch type.

jawsgear

Undergoing Construction
Jan 29, 2006
Sactown
www.jawsgear.com
jdub said:
If you are thinking about buying a torsen (Japanese version)...I'll warn you now, the side shafts inside the differential are different. Also, Jaws Gear has been experimenting with the OBX version with less than good results. I ended up replacing my LSD carrier with a TRD 2 way; clutch type.

OBX = Trash